Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Missing Flight MH370  (Read 30793 times)

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Missing Flight MH370
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2014, 01:00:45 pm »

I don't buy that, because if the crew were in a state of hypoxia they wouldn't have been able to fly for several hours on a different course making heading and altitude alterations. Even if it was flying on autopilot, they'd still have to reprogram the route into the flight computer and that is a complicated task too. Furthermore it doesn't explain the disabling of the transponder and ACARS systems, which must have been deliberate.

In the Helios accident, the aircraft was flying the holding pattern around the airport on autopilot, which was already programmed in before the crew started suffering the hypoxia. So it kept following the same route. In this accident the plane took a whole new route!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2014, 06:33:38 pm »

According to todays "Sunday Times" the aircraft had climbed to 45,000ft...and so (almost) de-pressurising the cabin area. Then it descended. It was believed to have crossed the island of Penang (an area I know quite well) at a "low" level (20,000ft) This would have been noticed. But nothing was reported.
Turning SW towards Diego Garcia really has to be a real No-No. Ever been there? I thought not. Far too open for aerial scrutiny. Plus the fact that there's a UK presence embedded there. So rule that one out.
Landing somewhere 1,000 miles east of Perth in Australia? Jeez, how much fuel was this plane carrying?
Burma? Who knows. Points further NW into the "'stans"..possibly. Who knows? Still nasty. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2014, 07:17:07 pm »

Diego Garcia is just a huge military base Bryan, Yanks have a big airfield there now and base B52's,B1B's and B2 Steaelth bombers there for missions to Afghanistan , nothing would get within 500 miles of that airfield without being detected by the E2C AWACS aircraft they have there.

News reports now saying the pilot was a fanatical follower of the now jailed leader of the Malaysian opposition ( who is a fairly hard line Islamist ) , if these reports are accurate then I'd put a bet on that this plane is sitting at a Republican Guard airbase in Iran. They weren't at full seating capacity meaning the Pilot could fill the tanks to the max flight take off weight meaning a much longer flight time ( its the pilot who decides how much fuel gets put aboard I think )

Davie Tait,
Scotland

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2014, 07:28:03 pm »

that this plane is sitting at a Republican Guard airbase in Iran. They weren't at full seating capacity meaning the Pilot could fill the tanks to the max flight take off weight meaning a much longer flight time ( its the pilot who decides how much fuel gets put aboard I think )

So someone needs to check the amount put in.
What would be the point of taking the plane and then not saying "we have it" or "we have blown it up"

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2014, 07:48:39 pm »

I could be a hijack that went badly wrong....
 Do modern airliners have handheld / completely independent emergency radio?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2014, 07:59:59 pm »

it would seem that the mobile phones of some of the passengers are still ringing out but not gps trackable........if the plane had gone down in a devastating crash either on land or at sea, I'm sure that they would not ring out...........drop your phone in a bucket of water and see........looks like they have been confiscated from passengers????? rather than destroyed by fire or water???

html

• Full Mayhemer
  • Gipping Valley Model Boat Club
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2014, 08:17:58 pm »

New hypothesis

Microscopic cracks of the fuselage would have caused (provoked) a slow depressurization.
It would have caused (provoked) a slow lack of oxygen of the crew
It is comparable to the drunkenness.

It arrived in Greece in 2005 on a Boeing 737 of Hélios Airways

The Helios Airways crash was caused by maintenance crews not following SOPs regarding working on the planes pressurisation system. They left the pressurisation system in manual after some tests on the aircraft, instead of putting it back to flight mode (automatic)

Brian
I do not suffer insanity, I quite like it!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2014, 08:26:39 pm »

it would seem that the mobile phones of some of the passengers are still ringing out but not gps trackable........if the plane had gone down in a devastating crash either on land or at sea, I'm sure that they would not ring out

I think this point has already been dealt with. The international connections can still cause phones to ring out even if the handset is inactive.

Colin

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2014, 08:28:10 pm »

it would seem that the mobile phones of some of the passengers are still ringing out but not gps trackable........if the plane had gone down in a devastating crash either on land or at sea, I'm sure that they would not ring out...........drop your phone in a bucket of water and see........looks like they have been confiscated from passengers????? rather than destroyed by fire or water???

However after 8 days I doubt any modern phone would still have a charge..

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2014, 08:44:16 pm »

I rather doubt if any comments on here can usefully add to the situation.

Colin

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2014, 09:07:23 pm »

Colin

A bit like all the news reports, But it has caught the worlds attention.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2014, 11:04:39 pm »

Colin

and to be quite honest, colin.......that comment was pretty useless as well, having no point or purpose what so ever other than to cast derision over other peoples perfectly plausible comments..... >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2014, 11:35:05 pm »

So as the keeper of the "Order of the wooden spoon" does that mean that Colin is now the most recent  recipient

%) %) %) %) %) %)

{-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2014, 11:43:06 pm »

Going back to the blurred Satellite image of an item of interest in the sea from the Chinese, I have just been watching the program aboard the International Space Station , this showed pictures of the World Trade Centre just before it was destroyed and on fire, These buildings were visible as was the bridge across the river.. So if these could be filmed with camera's from within the ISS in 2001 I am pretty sure Modern satellites can easily pick up much greater detail now.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2014, 11:44:01 pm »

Looks like they might be all boat people coming by plane %% %% %%

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world/missing-malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-likely-to-be-near-australia-says-analyst-20140317-hvjjw.html

They really are not letting us know anything other than fuel speculation.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2014, 12:02:34 am »

To sum it all up..  Basically No one has the foggiest where it is.

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2014, 12:48:23 am »

Going back to the blurred Satellite image of an item of interest in the sea from the Chinese, I have just been watching the program aboard the International Space Station , this showed pictures of the World Trade Centre just before it was destroyed and on fire, These buildings were visible as was the bridge across the river.. So if these could be filmed with camera's from within the ISS in 2001 I am pretty sure Modern satellites can easily pick up much greater detail now.

They can. Military satellites can see in very close detail, but the Chinese don't want anyone knowing exactly how good their optics are, so the pictures have been deliberately blurred up and made fuzzier.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: March 17, 2014, 01:11:48 am »

TLB......I don't necessarily agree with.... "to sum it all up..  Basically No one has the foggiest where it is"

I think the perpetrators  <*< of the crime do....... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2014, 01:23:15 am »

There is an assumption here that top grade imaging satellites were used. The images from the Chinese satellites were captured about 24hrs after the planes last contact. This was before the big search began. It is more likely that these were regular geographic information satellites, used for climate and agricultural data collection. This is speculation on my part, but no less relevant than some of the other speculation on here.
If they were SPOT satellites, that are usually used for regular imaging, they work on 2.5m - 20m resolution. Lower resolution uses much less memory and the images can be analysed much more rapidly, electronically. Using satellite imagery does not give instant analysis, sadly, there is a lot of computer data manipulation to make sense of the images (which are to all intents and purposes a data stream).
Modern military satellites can get great images, as they are often put into position to capture a specific image. They are not doing a gradual sweep of vast areas.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2014, 05:16:09 am »

I think the perpetrators  <*< of the crime do....... Derek

That's assuming there has been a crime. 
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2014, 06:07:12 am »

That's assuming there has been a crime.

Just about everything said here on the forum has been either assumptions or conjecture. At this stage it seems as if that's all anyone anywhere has been able to do, as there doesn't appear to be any evidence of the aircraft crashing, or having been hijacked. For all intents and purposes it has just disappeared. It must be absolute hell on the families of the passengers and crew, not knowing what has happened.

Peter.

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: March 17, 2014, 09:29:06 am »

To sum it all up..  Basically No one has the foggiest where it is.

i was listening to the radio and the reports stated they were searching the pilots house.....

now i know i am no aviation expert but i dont think the pilot has parked it up on his driveway has he ?  :}

all in all its just another brick in the wall......

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2014, 10:52:57 am »

Landing somewhere 1,000 miles east of Perth in Australia? Jeez, how much fuel was this plane carrying?

Possibly a heck of a lot.  Remember that the 777 that crashed at Heathrow in 2008? That was on a Beijing - London run.  That is, in itself, a long way, but they do tend to carry a substantial reserve to cater for landing delays and diversions.  Figuring out how much fuel actually was on board is guesswork as well.  While the pilot decides how much is to be carried, and there will be filling records, no-one knows how accurate those records might be.  He might have a mate on the filling crew who could pour in an extra ton or so "off the books".  Fuel gauges in planes seem to run on guesswork anyway - look back at those cases where the pilot thought he was taking off with plenty but only had enough to get half way.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2014, 11:34:01 pm »

HAs anyone checked Martin's loft? or come to that Neil's workshop :)
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2014, 11:54:14 pm »

HAs anyone checked Martin's loft? or come to that Neil's workshop :)
{-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 23 queries.