Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The price of Fish just went up...  (Read 2714 times)

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
The price of Fish just went up...
« on: April 01, 2014, 06:02:54 pm »

http://www.trawlerphotos.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?6586-Baltic-Breeze-Car-Carrier-Runs-Over-Fishing-Vessel-At-Least-3-Dead&p=19092#post19092

This is an incident that shouldn't have happened let alone led to up to half of the crew being killed. Just how you don't see a 34m long trawler ( which would have had an AIS transponder to show up her details on ARPA Radar that the car carrier must by law carry ) on Radar or just with the Mk1 Eyeball and have this happen is beyond me , the animation is off one of the AIS tracking sites and as this isn't real time we can't say for sure if any last minute avoidance was attempted by the trawler

RIP lads my condolences to the families of the men who have been lost
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Leaky Bottom

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The price of Fish just went up...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 07:26:22 pm »

Very sad indeed, but how did the trawler not see a 30,000 tonne car carrier, you can't lay the blame on anyone without knowledge of the full facts
"Leave me alone I know what I'm doing"

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 10:32:52 pm »

I have sailed that coast on several occasions whilst on yacht delivery trips and I have to admit that Spanish fishing
boats do not seem to keep as good a lookout as their British counterparts.  On a yacht travelling about 6 knots you never
bother about steam gives way to sail - you just try to keep out of every bodies way but when they are on their way to the
fishing grounds they seem to be on auto-pilot without a lookout, which makes it very hard. 
With modern ships travelling on a preset chart plotted course and one half asleep lookout you have
the potential for disasters.
Nothing should surprise you at sea Davie
Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 10:46:07 pm »

I seem to remember a sailing dingy hitting one of the Queens in Southampton Water.
1) Claimed he never saw her.
2) Tried to claim law of the sea that power should have given way to sail.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 02:11:38 am »

I've just watched the plot and animation and at face value the trawler has, against all the rules, turned into the path of the car carrier. It looks like the trawler virtually committed suicide.

But as said above, there may be other information or the tracking/simulation are wrong in some way.
Also bear in mind this was at 0100 UTC, so presumably pitch dark out there (with lights on the coastline nearby).

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 08:49:55 am »

with radars' tracking systems AIS  plotters  these are all navigation AIDS  they dont beat the old fashioned  lookout at the helm    its a sad loss indeed! r.i.p fellow fishermen

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 03:09:17 pm »

You cannot go by that simulation , AIS transponders only send out a position course and speed every 20 seconds or so and it looks like some data wasn't shown ( depends on if the shore receiver pc was working properly and sending the data to the website that logged it )

I have seen 2000t oil rig supply vessels in the North Sea steaming at 16 knots without anyone on the bridge and almost running us down ( 87ft steel trawler in broad daylight ) , men have been killed due to it off Scotland

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/fisherman-lost-at-sea-after-collision-sinks-boat-1.692737

Fisherman lost at sea after collision sinks boat    GRAEME SMITH   Monday 27 February 1995           

A FISHERMAN was lost at sea last night and his five crewmates rescued when their boat sank after being involved in a collision with a 2300-tonne North Sea supply vessel.   The 11-year-old Arbroath-registered Sharridale, a 72ft, 50-tonne seine netter, had only sailed out of Aberdeen yesterday afternoon following a three-day break.
  She was 20 miles east of Peterhead on her way to the fishing grounds in ''near perfect visibility'' when the collision occurred with the Hamburg-registered Huntetor, a 2341-tonne oil supply vessel owned by OIL Ltd of Aberdeen.
  The fishing vessel sank almost immediately and the Huntetor, which suffered no significant damage, launched a fast rescue craft which was able to pick up five of the crew.
  The missing fisherman was last night named by police as Mr Gordon Smith, 40, of Rossie Street, Arbroath.
  His fellow crew members were named as skipper Neil Teviotdale, of Monymusk Road, Mr George Teviotdale, 43, of Noltiloan Road, Mr David Teviotdale, 30, of Bellevue Gardens, and Mr James Smith, 34, also of Bellevue Gardens, all Arbroath.
  Police were witholding the name of one other survivor until relatives had been informed.
  A coastguard spokesman said the beacon from the sunken vessel was giving them a very accurate position on which to centre their search.
  Members of skipper Neil Teviotdale's family have been fishermen for several generations. Mr Teviotdale's brother was lost at sea in a fishing accident several years ago. His late father survived the loss of his fishing boat.
  The Sharridale survivors were last night brought into Aberdeen on board the Huntetor as the search for Mr Smith continued.
  The Department of Transport's Marine Accident Investigation Branch is to hold an inquiry into the incident.

http://www.fishupdate.com/news/archivestory.php/aid/3301/Scottish_trawler_sinks_after_collision_with_Norwegian_supply_boat.html
http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/harvester_strilmoy.pdf

Davie Tait,
Scotland

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 05:16:37 pm »

my heart and prayers go out to them all, and their families......I know the loss to a town of such a tragedy, coming from Fleetwood and don't envy the superintendent minister from the Mission to have to break such news.....terrible and tragic especially when it could be avoided with a little diligence.

neil.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.