Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Byzantium by qwerty2008 - 1:20 scale - RADIO -  (Read 29895 times)

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
Re: Byzantium by qwerty2008 - 1:20 scale - RADIO -
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2014, 11:18:42 pm »

Derek: I cut all the notches by hand with a Japanese saw and a chisel and glued them with normal wood glue as they will be sealed with thinned resin before being epoxied into the hull. Number 2 will be screwed in as well as being epoxied because it is pulling on each side of the hull and contains the step for the bowsprit.

Lextin.
I am who I am and I aint who I aint, if my beliefs offend you feel free to walk away.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2014, 03:53:55 am »

I wasn't quite happy with the shape of the barrel so I put it back on the drillpress and turned it again but forgot to seal it with wax before I started painting it and ended up getting an interesting Damascus steel look that I hated to get rid of but had to :( . I also made the sides of the carriage, I cut the profile into a 3/4 inch thick piece of cherry then sliced it lengthwise into 1/4 inch thick pieces which was a hard task because the band saw is out of commission :( .

Lextin.
I am who I am and I aint who I aint, if my beliefs offend you feel free to walk away.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2014, 01:50:18 am »

I have done a bit more work on the carriage and have decided to make notches in the axletrees that will fit over the rails which will be abought 6 inches long (10 feet in scale) and will rotate on center when all is said and done the barrel should sit at just abought the right height to shoot over the railing when leveled. I may remove the hammock cranes to allow for greater rotation of the gun.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2014, 12:11:56 am »

I made a SketchUp model of the carriage and am wanting to know if it is passable for a late 1700s pivot gun carriage? before I start to build it. I am also wondering how to make the circular track that it will ride on?.

Lextin.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2014, 08:04:20 pm »

I made the slide and hit it with a few coats of paint which was a real pain as my can of oxide red was empty and the only other can of oxide red I had was a different brand and clogged so I pulled a nozzle of a different can that was clogged too so I unclogged it and then found that this new paint goes on thinner then the last so I needed more coats to get even coverage, and then after all the trouble I went trough to paint it, it now makes my 6 pounder look a little crummy :P .

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2014, 08:15:34 pm »

Abought the circular track, am I correct in assuming that the top of the track needs to stay level and not curve with the deck?

Lextin.

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2014, 12:00:31 am »

About the circular track, am I correct in assuming that the top of the track needs to stay level and not curve with the deck?
Lextin.

Lextin,
I have no idea of the correct answer to this, but if it were me building a track on the deck of a real vessel I would make  the track level with or even inset into the deck, making one thing less to fall over and also to keep the surrounding deck area useable for other purposes when the cannon is in the stowed position. Elevation of the cannon will vary anyway with the roll of the vessel and the distance away that the target is....

Does that help?

Also thinking the original swivel point for such a weapon must have been very strong as there is no provision to absorb recoil as far as I can tell....
Firing the weapon would certainly put some pressure on that point ......?

Had a bit of a Google and most swivelling cannons seem to be a bit like a Lantaka, swivelling in a fork on a post
Most swivel guns seem to be breech loaders I think...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lantaka
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swivel_gun

There is some mention of heavier weapons being mounted on a carriage as yours is....

:-)

Amateur at work...

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2014, 01:08:11 am »

;) ...Lextin......these cannons are a little before my time with warships & gunmounts  ;D ....but would suggest the logic from Phill is on the best path for a straight/flat mounting ring

.... >>:-( but  not so sure about no recoil............Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2014, 01:35:55 am »

Penguin: I think that you are confusing the pivot gun with a swivel gun. A swivel gun is a smaller cannon usually around 1 inch bore and typically mounted on the rail. A pivot gun is a much larger cannon in my case a 18 pounder (5 inch bore) with the recoil being absorbed along a sliding carriage. My model will have both types of cannon as well as some 6 pound (3.5 inch bore) broadside guns.
I did get an answer to my question on another site and will be making the top of the track flat and not follow the deck chamber.

Lextin.

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2014, 07:27:33 am »

Ah, of course ! The gun slides on the carriage! Light bulb moment here for me...
;-)

Thanks Lextin
Amateur at work...

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2014, 03:13:33 am »

I did some more work on the keel then took some pictures of the model.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2014, 12:52:15 am »

Well I was at the hardware store today and picked up the springs for the sliding servo aswell as a variety of brass screws to keep on hand in case I need them later and to replace the steel ones holding the aluminium plate that the rudder hinges on.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2014, 01:03:13 am »

I have some more complaining to do about the posting conditions on this site >>:-( . Whenever I post via copy past I get a bunch of text formatting that I have to go back into edit mode to remove and if I miss it the site wont let me edit it later grrr but enough of that I will still be maintaining a log on this site I will just have to remember to write it here first then copy past it to other sites.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2014, 12:06:26 am »

I haven't got much work done on the Byzantium but I have made up a set of paper sail templates to test the positions of all the fairleads and to see how much servo pull each sail will need. My original calculations were based on the size of the sail and did not factor in the overlap so they were way off, the new servo pull requirements are out of reach what I mean by this is that both the fore sail and the outer jib will require a minimum of 18 inches servo pull and my current setup will only allow for 12 inches. I am wondering if anyone here can shed some light on how to fix this issue? the only options I can think of would be to drastically reduce the size of the sails or to triple the pull of the servo but that would put allot of strain on the servo which will control all three of the jibs as well as the fore sail.

The pencils in this picture are pointing at the fairlead locations

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2014, 12:55:39 am »

Sorry about the rather lengthy hiatus from this build, I had become burnt out from trying to figure out the rigging also I lacked funds to purchase the necessary materials so I decided to take a short break. One thing led to another and my "short break" turned into a long break. I am back now and excited to get back to work on the Byzantium.
     I have obtained some money and am thinking of getting the supplex for the sails aswell as the fabric glue and brass tube for the fairleads. I have been monitoring Rockywoods.com and they always seem to be out of white supplex so I was wondering if slate grey or wrought iron would work?

Lextin.

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2014, 07:21:53 am »

@Lextin:

Did you have any joy working out the rigging in the end?
Amateur at work...

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2014, 11:29:53 pm »

mrpenguin:I still haven't figured out all the rigging yet but I am getting closer. I did however do away with the triple arm system fore the fore sail and head sails.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2014, 10:54:22 pm »

I got the brass tube I needed and made the rest of the fairleads. The only thing remaining before I can permanently install the deck is to add several small eye screws, which I an out of meaning another trip to the hardware store is in order.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2014, 10:56:43 pm »

I am now finished below decks so maybe I can break out the resin this weekend and get the deck sealed in place.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2014, 11:45:24 pm »

The weather was nice today so I started sealing the deck. I didn't get to far though because I ran out of fiberglass resin hardener after the first batch so I'll have to get some more before I can continue, as of now I have the servo tray mounts and half of the deck beams coated with resin.
   The fabric samples for the sailcloth didn't arrive today so maybe Monday.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2014, 11:08:49 pm »

Yesterday I got some more hardener and applied resin to the rest of the deck beams as well as the bottom of the deck. Since the resin is applied so thin and it is really cold outside it may take awhile to fully cure.
   The Supplex and Taslan fabric samples arrived today. There is not much difference between the two fabrics so I will be getting the Taslan.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2014, 07:18:00 pm »

I received the sailcloth a few days ago. It is two yards of white taslan nylon.

I wanted to make a sail for my Byzantium but I am lacking the confidence that my sail templates are correct so I decided to make the flag instead.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2015, 01:19:03 am »

I have got up the courage to make the first sail. Still hesitant that I could make it I chose to make the smallest sail first and this is how it turned out.
The template.

and the finished sail temporarily hung on its yard.

Lextin.

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2015, 01:47:44 am »

@qwerty2008:

Nice work Lextin!

That looks like a lot of time in stitching, you will be sick of it by the time you have finished.

I don't know  the exact process you are using, but if it is any help, there is some thin 6mm wide double sided tape available that is used for model sailmaking that could perhaps be used to advantage with these sails. I imagine there would be a supplier somewhere near you in California, I only know of Australian suppliers.  For each side of the sail, you could turn over the flap and tape it to the sail and it would then be firmly held in place while you do the stitching and you would not be reliant in the stitching alone for the strength of the sail. With the few square sails that I made, I found it really difficult to get the stitching to sit right and to look anything like it was supposed to... But when it comes to sewing I am hopeless anyway!
Amateur at work...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 22 queries.