Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Byzantium by qwerty2008 - 1:20 scale - RADIO -  (Read 29894 times)

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
Re: Byzantium by qwerty2008 - 1:20 scale - RADIO -
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2015, 05:44:53 am »

Nope no stitching here, I used a washable fabric glue called Fabric Fusion to hold everything together. The only stitching is for the bolt rope which is not hard but is rather tedious. If I had to do allot of stitching on the sail itself I would have used a machine to sew it as I have access to two, my 1918 singer treadle powered machine and my sisters modern sewing machine both work great but the singer needs a new belt because its a bit annoying to turn the flywheel by hand.

Lextin.
I am who I am and I aint who I aint, if my beliefs offend you feel free to walk away.

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2015, 06:00:18 am »

@ Lextin:
No worries, you have done a great job on the bolt rope, it looks really good.

There is a technique shown somewhere about laying your thread in the weave of the bolt rope. I could never get it to happen, probably used wrong material for the bolt rope I think.
Amateur at work...

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2015, 02:05:08 am »

I made the topsail today, it still needs the bolt rope to be sewn on but other than that its done. The cloths are 2 feet wide in scale, I don't know if this is correct but I figure that narrower cloths would be easier to replace after a battle.

Lextin.
I am who I am and I aint who I aint, if my beliefs offend you feel free to walk away.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2015, 05:11:39 am »

Here is a short video I made of the sails hung on the model and somewhat hooked up to the controls. sorry I don.t know how to embed videos yet on this site.

http://youtu.be/6srKYRfm6_o

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2015, 08:21:31 pm »

Since my last post I have made the bolt rope for the topsail and done some research on sail making I found out that my cloths which I originally thought to be to narrow at 24 inches wide were actually to wide, they are supposed to be 20 inches wide facepalm moment. Well I am not going to remake the sails so they will have to stay the way they are. I will be making the foresail next.
   I am thinking of making a removable extended sailplan and wondering what sails it would realistically include, Ringtail and stuns'ls are a given but what about a flying jib and a bentinck bent from the fore jackyard?

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2015, 10:25:37 pm »

I made up the template for the foresail and hung it on the model. I will start making the sail tomorow if all goes well.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2015, 12:46:45 am »

I made the foresail.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2015, 11:49:24 pm »

I have gotten tired of making sails so I decided to do a little work on the spars. I first made the mast cheeks supporting the trestle trees then I put some color on the fore mast, I also finished (somewhat) the topmast(s) and the fore gaff. I feel that this little bit of work has made the model look dramatically more complete.

This is a mockup of an idea I have for the battery hatch cover.

Lextin.

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2015, 12:08:08 am »

@Lextin:

Looking nice, you have done some really beautiful work there.

Re the hatch - I get the impression this is a cover that slides in tracks? Depending on the design, it may be prudent to taper the tracks together a little as it slides into the sealed position. This will mean the slide is less likely to stick if the timber swells or moves at all.....

Don't think this applies with your design, but if the hatch is sliding in from aft to fore, then the aft end probably needs to be a little above deck level to reduce the chance of water entering from astern.
Amateur at work...

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2015, 01:14:12 am »

mrpenguin: The hatch will lift straight up for removal though there will be a smaller (non-functioning) gangway hatch on it that will run on a track.

Lextin.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2015, 04:09:40 am »

Hi qwerty

looking very good so far. :-))

Just a suggestion. You might want to redesign the hatch to avoid water ingress.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2015, 08:14:39 pm »

tigertiger: I understand where your coming from but I was staring at the hatch for a long time last night and came to the realization that for appearance sake I would need to make an invisible or flush hatch than add a much smaller gangway to the top of it. In the end the hatch will probably be made water tight by adding a small bead of grease between the hatch cover and the frame of the opening. Also I cant add anything to the inside of the opening as the battery barley fits trough as it is, poor design I know but at the time I made it I had no idea what I was doing infact I still don't :) .

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2015, 08:48:18 pm »

I have done some work on the bowsprit. Now it is actually tapered and the cap is now perpendicular to the waterline instead of the bowsprit.

Lextin.

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2015, 10:34:32 pm »

..... Also I cant add anything to the inside of the opening as the battery barely fits through as it is, poor design I know but at the time I made it I had no idea what I was doing infact I still don't :) .
Lextin.

Lextin, is a smaller battery a possibility? Depending on the requirements, some of the LiFe ones are physically very small but quite adequate for many RC sailboats.
As an example, I use these for a number of my boats, they are small, light and plenty of capacity. Weight 40 grams, 53 x 30 x 13 mm. They need a suitable charger though.... They will run a 1 metre boat for six hours with plenty of capacity to spare.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14075__ZIPPY_Flightmax_700mAh_6_6V_5C_LiFePo4_Receiver_Pack.html

Amateur at work...

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2015, 11:52:09 pm »

mrpenguin: My current battery is a 6 volt 7 amp hour sealed lead acid, that I bought upon recommendation from a member over at RC Groups because my previous battery couldn't keep up with one of my servos let alone all four. It is not financially feasible for me to get a new battery and charger right now but I will keep it in mind, if they don't keep up I'm pretty sure my system allows for multiple batteries. One more thing I am a little wary of hobby king as the last time I bought something from them my credit card number got stolen and someone tried to buy 700 dollars worth of world cup tickets, luckily my bank flagged the transaction and it didn't go trough. I will still try to keep the hatch its current size as the SLA is what I have now and it may stay that way.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2015, 12:09:40 am »

I finished the jib boom.

My cat interrupted my pictures to eat a string that just happened to be attached to my model.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2015, 07:02:14 am »

I got the gammoning made, I used a technique that I found on another forum to allow the bowsprit to be removed. I have also started on a new spritsail yard, in the picture the yard is really long due to me not being sure about how long to make it. I will cut the yard shorter later after staring at it for a great long time to figure out how long to make it.
I am running into a bit of a problem which is that if I keep up at this rate I will soon run out of spars and be forced into making sails again :( . The figurehead was put in place for these pictures as I actually forgot about it for awhile and it needed some screen time.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2015, 12:54:44 am »

Today I made both the hatches aswell as the gangway. I have been thinking about forgoing the spritsail yard in favor of two separate spreaders.

I got a new can of red paint but they didn't have the same shade so I went a little brighter (it looks pink but that's just my camera being weird) and think that I like it a little bit more than the old color and will be repainting the rest of the fittings and the inside of the wales the new red latter.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2015, 06:18:14 am »

I made the thingamajigs that will hold the spreaders for the guy pendants in place.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2015, 07:15:43 pm »

Don't worry I an not taking another of my patented modeling hiatuses, I have just been kinda busy the past few days. I have however made a new barrel for the six pounder cannons and made a mold from it but am not quite happy with how it turned out. This time the mold conforms perfectly to the master but is really fragile and not suitible to cast the ten resin barrels from so I will make a new one the same way but with thicker walls this time, to make it stronger. Lastly I have made the template for the main sail so hopefully I will get to making that soon.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2015, 09:33:54 pm »

I made the new mold and it came out much better then the last one and infinitely better then the first one. It took me three tries to get the new barrel right but in the end it was worth it. Here are the photos, the small yellow one next to the barrel is the new one, the red one is the second one and the white is the first. I have also included pics of the sail template and the guy spreaders.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2015, 09:43:02 pm »

I have started on the mainsail but took a break to work on the main pinrail and belfry I also decided to replace the barrel on the 18 pounder with one that I think is much nicer, who liked the old one anyways.

Here is a paper mockup I made for the belfry and the ships mascot, a small seal which I still haven't named and am looking for suggestions.

The new barrel ok2 .

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2015, 12:18:54 am »

I started on the belfry and promptly got distracted by another component, the mast hoops and found an alternate method of making them. Instead of using hoops I am thinking of making a loop and parrel setup that would allow me to detach the sails with the use of a lobster clasp on one end of the loop.

Lextin.

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2015, 12:58:15 am »

.... a small seal which I still haven't named and am looking for suggestions.
....Lextin.

Seals are usually called "Sammy" I guess???

But surely this one needs a "proper" name with a sustainable back story.....
Using the name of the ship, "Byzantium" was later Constantinople and is nowadays Istanbul, a port on the Black Sea. According to our friend Google, the seals in this area are "Monk" seals (and they are also black, so the seal may need a paint job....)

There is also a 2012 movie called "Byzantium", one of the main characters is a woman called "Clara"... Reading the plot, it is indeed a black story...... 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantium_(film)

I propose the seal should be named "Clara"!!!!
Amateur at work...

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2015, 04:24:45 am »

mrpenguin: I am afraid if I named the seal Clara it would take on a different back story as The name Byzantium was meant as more of a Doctor Who reference than a reference to the city, the weeping angel figurehead serves to reinforce this connection as the Byzantium on Doctor Who was transporting a weeping angel. Later in the series the Doctor had a companion named Clara Oswald. Clara is initially presented to the audience during the first half of the seventh series as three distinct, though similarly named, people living in different eras of time. The first two incarnations, Oswin Oswald and Clara Oswin Oswald, die during the episode in which they appear. The third incarnation becomes the Doctor's companion, travelling with him for the remainder of the series as he tries to uncover the mystery of her multiple lives.

I have completed the main structure of the belfry and the pinrails associated with it, I still need to finish the details and paint. The bell is a tad small (approx 10 scale inches)so I will make a new one sometime later on down the road.

Lextin.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.