Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need some advice  (Read 4876 times)

roadrunner440

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
need some advice
« on: March 28, 2014, 01:46:52 am »

i have a friend who has an old cesa 1882 running 2 m&y 700rst 28 turn electric moters a 2 into 1 set up  in to a strudder set up.. it used to have an old school mecanical speed controler... we are unshure of what kind of brussed esc to bring it back to life.. we also don't know how many amps it draws.. we are useing 2-3 7.6v nicad batts in paralel..for a power source.. stepping up to a brushless set up is not an option at this point in time.. i was thinking at least a 60 amp. but am unable to find eather a mechanical speed controler or a water cooled brushed esc.. i was hopeing the members could help a few yanks across the pond.. many thanks

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: need some advice
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 08:13:59 am »

Seller has 100% feedback ,maybe quallity has improved since 2011 ok2

inertia

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 09:03:49 am »

Very interesting specifications viz:

Forward current 110A
Forward burst current  No

"No"?? Is that infinite or nil? Either value is meaningless. There appears to have been no visible modifications since Bluebird had his experience with one of these. I would strongly advise against buying one, irrespective of the seller's personal E-Bay rating.
DM

(A Graupner V40R would suit the model - if not the budget).

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 09:16:00 am »

As for ebay feedback scores,if his score is 100% good then you can rest assured he has had zero issues or complaints from customers after 32738 sales.
Mart

inertia

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 02:02:16 pm »

As for ebay feedback scores,if his score is 100% good then you can rest assured he has had zero issues or complaints from customers after 32738 sales.
Mart
Not necessarily. All it means is that no-one has posted negative feedback. The guy may not have sold many/any of these or those which have been sold have so far held together or he's had some complaints but dealt with them properly or the purchasers haven't bothered to return faulty items or they've been reluctant to post negative feedback or etc etc. We don't know.

If Bluebird had such an horrendous experience with one of these then I wouldn't recommend it or buy one myself, even from a respectable supplier. Finding out stuff like that is what forums are for. John is a friend of mine and knows what he's doing and what he's talking about; that's good enough for me.

Still - as someone used to say, suit yourself. I'm still wondering what "Forward burst current = No" means  {:-{

DM

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 02:45:05 pm »

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmm  :o %) %)

Buyer beware

aye
john

Agreed. You may get lucky, I did but I didn't punish it like your 2 motors in the Cesa will!

Get a real speed controller and save yourself some money:
ACTion p98 - http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/speed.php
MTronics - ( No high votage ESCs that I can find )
Electonize - ( site seems to be down )
Ripmax - Ripmax Sea Sprint ESC 12-36t 6-16Cells XTRA-SESPRINT - http://www.hobbystores.co.uk/default.asp?WPG=HOB_HomePage1&itemid=P-XTRA-SESPRINT

NB: I tried all sorts of setups in my Cesa 1882 ( real boat was a master piece of design... ABC model, not must so! ) twins, Graupner 700BB, Glow 1.5cc and gearbox - ended up with Irvine 3.5 ABC with a mini tuned pipe... went quite nicely with that setup!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 03:04:10 pm »

hi aye all

what really bothers me is the claim to 110 amps; handling of this speed controller.   I myself repaired on of these speed controllers from HongKongfuey know that the circuit board and some of the components will not take 110 amps.  The gentleman in question who purchases one of these may be lucky and the speed controller may run happily ever after at say 20 amps with no internal problems - good luck to the chap.   But if he goes over any serious amps to say 110 that is melt down.   For those who cant visual what 110 amps is like or what it can do - welding machines that use 3mm thick welding rods weld quite happily on 110 - 130 amps.   

If you have a look at the thickness of the wire which connects the welding machine to the welding rod; you will see its about half an inch thick in diameter and that is to cope with amperage - now do we have this diameter cable in our model boats.

Another thing I would like to see the battery pack which can produce 110 amps.

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 03:14:04 pm »

I had one that I used in a Dickie tug revamp

380 size motor,40mm prop
runing on 6V .
It lasted just over a year before the smoke
Couldn't have pulled more than a few amps but it still blew

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Stavros

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 05:26:51 pm »

I used to have one of these and ran it on a Mtronics 40amp speed controller(sorry Dave I swore and have gone to the corner of the room in shame)I used 2 x 9v stick packs in it obviously with 2 speed controllers ...it used to go like stink

Dave

roadrunner440

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 07:50:18 pm »

we are going to water test it next week with just the batts&moters hooked up in a flat tire tank while turning the strudder to see what peak amp draw is.. unfortuneatly we havent been able to find specs on the old mechacanical esc... nor any info on the draw of the the 2 moters into 1 output... so i guess after we know that we can have more info to look with

roadrunner440

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 05:09:24 pm »

so we were able to water test it yesterday saw around 40-60 amps... can anyone recomend a brushed esc in that range as we are haveing trouble finding one..are there any combo brushed/brushless esc's we should look at???? i think an 80 amp should be fine would the mtronics 40-45 amp be ok do you think???

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 10:47:20 pm »

As you are in the US and were looking at mechanical speed controllers, is Ed Hughey still producing his? 

I have two of his three speed mechanical contollers in two of my offshore style boats of similar size to the Cesa. These are running on 14.4v

roadrunner440

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 05:51:59 am »

well we are looking for any brushed esc that will handle it. it was 40+ amps with on 7.4v 3000 mha stick we didn't have all 3 sticks together to test with as all 3 are paralled together for a 7.4v 9000 mha powersource..i do not beleave that the amps would go higher so we are looking for any sugestions on a 50-80 amp esc for marine use.preferably water cooled or with a fan but will take what we can get as we seem to only be able to fine brushless esc's in that amp range

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 06:05:14 am »

You cant use brushless esc,s with brushed motors.Personally i would ditch the brushed setup for a much more efficient brushless setup.
Mart

roadrunner440

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 06:31:53 pm »

that is a long term plan.. i need to get donny on the water so i have a buddy to go to the lake with so we are looking for a brushed esc..so far we can only seem to fine rock crawler esc's in that range for 550 can moter his are the  m&y 700rst 28turns. and while the turn count and amps count seem ok and we can find a programable brake. they are for 550 moters and we are unshure of if they would burn out due to them being for 550 moters not 700's

Tombsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 04:19:39 pm »

hi aye all

what really bothers me is the claim to 110 amps; handling of this speed controller.   I myself repaired on of these speed controllers from HongKongfuey know that the circuit board and some of the components will not take 110 amps.  The gentleman in question who purchases one of these may be lucky and the speed controller may run happily ever after at say 20 amps with no internal problems - good luck to the chap.   But if he goes over any serious amps to say 110 that is melt down.   For those who cant visual what 110 amps is like or what it can do - welding machines that use 3mm thick welding rods weld quite happily on 110 - 130 amps.   

If you have a look at the thickness of the wire which connects the welding machine to the welding rod; you will see its about half an inch thick in diameter and that is to cope with amperage - now do we have this diameter cable in our model boats.

Another thing I would like to see the battery pack which can produce 110 amps.

aye
john

Welders are AC, quite a difference in wire size for DC. There are lots of online wire size calculators for DC.
I'm using 200 and 240 amp esc's with continuous amp draws over 100 amps and peaks to 300. I have 60C and 70C discharge Revolectrix packs rated for over 300 amps continuous discharge. These esc's also have data logging for voltage and amp readings.
My current build uses 10s lipo's with a Neu 1527 1.5Y motor and a Castle Hydra Ice HV 200 amp esc.

Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.