Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3d printers (again)  (Read 1947 times)

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
3d printers (again)
« on: March 29, 2014, 12:04:17 am »

Hello all, I know there have been discussions on here before about 3d printers but does anyone actually own one or have first hand experience with the current range of desktop 3d machines.
I hadn't really thought about buying one until we went to see my wife's surgeon the other day and he had one sitting in his office, he plays around with printing parts from peoples MRI's, slightly creepy but also really cool.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Phill
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

Pat Matthews

• Full Mayhemer
  • Get your boats wet!
    • Matthews Model Marine
Re: 3d printers (again)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 04:58:17 pm »

Unless your main goal is simply to play with such a device, save your money... inexpensive desktop 3D printers are worthless for any type of fine model work... their output is simply too coarse. You are much better off paying for time on an expensive machine at a house like Shapeways... and let them deal with the depreciation, inevitable obsolescence, and all the secondary operations and waste disposal.

My latest (almost) all 3D Printed model boat has no such desktop parts on it:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2042278&page=8#post27865432
Pat Matthews
Get Your Boats Wet!
Matthews Model Marine

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 05:54:35 pm »

I'd concour with Pat on this, the currently available 3D printers within the price range of hobby model makers are toys. The media is difficult to finish nicely and the failure rate on complicated jobs is high.  For what you would spend on such a machine you could buy a lot from online 3D printers like Shapeways (other online 3D printing houses are available!).
We have several of these machines at work as well as a a couple of high end Object machines and there is no comparison between the 2.  Given a couple of years the quality of machines available will improve and the prices will come down.  I certainly wouldn't commit the money at the moment.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 12:03:53 am »

Thanks for the input guys, looks like I will keep making my masters on the laser and molding and casting in resin.

Phill
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 22 queries.