Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Shockwave 55 !  (Read 21964 times)

Biscuit

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Shockwave 55 !
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2007, 09:25:27 pm »

Got the rudders on tonight, or should I say rudder as I am waiting for the second one, the bellcranks that go on top of the rudder are very poorly made with the hole being to big to clamp up tight so will make some better ones. Think I have come up with a cunning plan for the radio box by laying the servos down and moving the box over to one side, only going to use that one massive high power servo on the rudders, sure this will be OK, so not going too bad so far.
Biscuit

Biscuit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2007, 09:22:48 pm »

OK Rudders are on !! took a bit of thinking as to where I was going to fit the radio box but think I have it sorted now, moved it over one side and made 2 brackets to mount it to the engine runners and on to the radio box. Rudder servo is in and the throttle one looks like it will go in easy, only got about 10mm clearance between radio box and pipe do you think that will be enough ? Not sure what way to go with the Rx cells, got a brand new 1400mah Nmh 5 cell pack very light, or do you think I should stick to the sub c size?  ??? next headache is where to fit the tank, got a bit of an Idea  :P

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2007, 10:24:00 pm »

OK Rudders are on !! took a bit of thinking as to where I was going to fit the radio box but think I have it sorted now, moved it over one side and made 2 brackets to mount it to the engine runners and on to the radio box. Rudder servo is in and the throttle one looks like it will go in easy, only got about 10mm clearance between radio box and pipe do you think that will be enough ? Not sure what way to go with the Rx cells, got a brand new 1400mah Nmh 5 cell pack very light, or do you think I should stick to the sub c size?  ??? next headache is where to fit the tank, got a bit of an Idea  :P

Hi Steve,

I think the battery pack you have (The NiMh) should be OK. As for fuel tanks, why not try an IV bag tank?  Gives you loads of options.

Depends on how much breeze you can get past the pipe as to how well the radio box will survive the heat from the pipe. It will get pretty warm I should think.

One thing that I think is going to be really really critical now in set up is to make sure the rudders are perfectly parallel to each other, otherwise you are going to end up with loads of drag.

Glenn

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2007, 08:04:51 am »

I have the pipe on my L ynx that close, lots of air and aluminium tape on the radiobox should keep everyting ok.
The water pickups aren't going to do a lot of good on the side with the rudders, you are always going to lose one when the boat heels over in turns. Try one flush on the bottom as in my Sigma thread or a real prop blast pickup as shown here http://gallery.intlwaters.com/displayimage.php?album=759&pos=7

Biscuit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2007, 05:44:39 pm »

Yeah I thought that, when the boats on the plane they will hardly be in the water ! not looked at your link yet but guess its a pick up over the top of the prop. Made the radio box today, next is sorting out the tank, thanks for the advice.
Biscuit.
Ps just seen the link, yep thats what I thought, cool !

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2007, 05:50:50 pm »

guess its a pick up over the top of the prop
Correct ;D
Made the radio box today

Hope you did a better job than I did with mine ::) (Still a work in progress)

Biscuit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2007, 09:41:22 pm »

Well I am very pleased with the radio box, wired it up tonight and it all works fine ! :) that huge servo has more than enough power to turn those 2 rudders, going to use one of those rubber plugs to get access to the switch and charging lead. Thanks for the offer of the bag Glenn, but managed to get the tank in, its mounted to one of the engine rails, hope the vibration does not foam the fuel ??? Ripped it all out tonight to start work on the hull, fill in where the old prop shaft was and the other holes here and there that I don't need. Going to put the motor and prop shaft in tomorrow and line it all up then glass it all in, really looking forward to taking this out, and I am sure I will change the colour. :P
Biscuit

Biscuit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2007, 06:39:23 pm »

Glassed the prop shaft in today, now its just a case of locktite the screws and nail it all together ! hoping to get out next week. Been on a few forums about the 23cc motor, seems it aint that bad after all.  :)

Biscuit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2007, 10:49:15 pm »

Hi all,
Well its all in there now, pipe looks cool comming out in between the dummy pipes, still a bit close to the radio box, need to tidy up the hole around the pipe, but its almost ready to go !! :D

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2007, 12:43:52 pm »

Looking good. What did you use for a throttle cable connector at the carb end?

Glenn

Biscuit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2007, 05:55:47 pm »

Well Glenn, I have a bracket and kind of alloy bolt which goes through said bracket that the cable fits in, the inner cable then connects to the carb with a collet and small grub screw, only trouble is that I over tightend the alloy bolt and it snapped, no problem will make a new one. Could not live with that radio box being so close to the pipe so ripped it all out again ! looked at it for hours, then it came to me, flip the bracket it sits on round, this moves the whole box over about 20mm, then drill another hole in the transom, (as if there aint enough allready)  on the other side for the push rod, turn bellcrank around and its sorted. This has taken me most of the day, now all I need to do is solder the drive cable, given up on this as I can not find my plumbers flux, tried to use silver solder but you have to get it too hot, hopfully I have not ruined it and my mate at work will be able to sweat the end on for me. What do you guys use  ???
Biscuit

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2007, 01:00:20 pm »

I see what you used for the throttle cable, thanks, I struggled to find something I was happy with, got there eventuallly with it.

Soft solder should do your shaft.

Need to get it well cleaned up, try to find some "bakers soldering flux" if you can. It is really, really corrosive stuff mind, so as soon as the soldering is done you need to get it all washed off thoroughly.

Glenn

Biscuit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2007, 07:55:45 pm »

Glenn,
Seeing I have two water pickups, could I use one for the motor and one for the manifold ? although this would need two outlets, or do I use a T piece and one outlet if you know what I mean? The bore of the pickups is very small will make a new system when I get time, but I am trying to get it ready for Saturday. Any one know where I can get those push and twist hatch fasteners ??
Thanks
Steve.

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2007, 09:47:26 pm »

As you have 2 pickups out to the side I would run them to a Y and then to the head and manifold as I am concerned that you will end up with no cooling somewhere when you turn. In colder water send it to the manifold first.
You have done such a good job so far I really believe you would be better off making a true prop blast pickup and ditching the 2 in front of the rudders.
Nice radio setup by the way ;D

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2007, 03:22:00 pm »

Glenn,
Seeing I have two water pickups, could I use one for the motor and one for the manifold ? although this would need two outlets, or do I use a T piece and one outlet if you know what I mean? The bore of the pickups is very small will make a new system when I get time, but I am trying to get it ready for Saturday. Any one know where I can get those push and twist hatch fasteners ??
Thanks
Steve.

Hi Steve,

both Prestwich and Ian's boats do the push and turn fasteners. So do lots of motorbike shops that sell race fairings. If you are struggling you could alwoays temporarily put a couple of nuts and bolts through the deck and stretch a couple of elastic bands over to keep the hatch on until the proper fasteners arrive.

Should get you on the water.

Like Ian said, may be prudent to consider a different cooling water pickup method. I like Ians flush pickup.

Should be abale to knock one up quite quickly I would have thought. Less drag than the ones you have too..

Glenn

Biscuit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2007, 09:52:05 pm »

Yeah Glenn will change it, can you just have a look at the photos and see if I have connected the water pipes up right  ??? just got to get a T piece to join the 2 pipes together for the time being. Boat is ready to go apart from the hatch fasteners, been up to bike shop but they are way to big, Dave has Emailed me but I don't like that type of fastener, so it looks like I am stuck. Have made a simple bracket to hold the pipe at the rear, taking the trim tabs to work to polish them up ! also put an o-ring around the pipe exit hole to tidy it up a bit, plus ripped the decals off the top of the boat and polished it up. Not sure how I should set it up for its first run, got the prop straight with the bottom of the boat at the moment, just one more thing, I am running in salt water what do I do with it after its been run as I know things tend to corrode bad.
Thanks.
Steve.
Ps got a nice little trolley today, £12.50 just got to sort out how to locate the boat on it. :)

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2007, 12:34:24 am »

Yeah Glenn will change it, can you just have a look at the photos and see if I have connected the water pipes up right  ??? just got to get a T piece to join the 2 pipes together for the time being. Boat is ready to go apart from the hatch fasteners, been up to bike shop but they are way to big, Dave has Emailed me but I don't like that type of fastener, so it looks like I am stuck. Have made a simple bracket to hold the pipe at the rear, taking the trim tabs to work to polish them up ! also put an o-ring around the pipe exit hole to tidy it up a bit, plus ripped the decals off the top of the boat and polished it up. Not sure how I should set it up for its first run, got the prop straight with the bottom of the boat at the moment, just one more thing, I am running in salt water what do I do with it after its been run as I know things tend to corrode bad.
Thanks.
Steve.
Ps got a nice little trolley today, £12.50 just got to sort out how to locate the boat on it. :)

Hi Steve,

For the cooling, to get you going initially for this weekend : try a tee between (or better if you can find one a "Y " piece) between both water pick ups, basically you are linking them together, then take the newly created single feed to the bits that need cooling.

As you are in the UK and the water is not warm, I would run into the bottom of the exhaust manifold, through that and into the engine before going over the side.

Should get you going.

Longer term might be wise to cool the manifold and motor seperately.

Might try these people for Dzus fasteners for your hatch: http://www.southco.com/landingpages/dzus/

Glenn

Biscuit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2007, 08:24:54 pm »

Glenn,
Could not find a Y piece, only a T piece, so decided to make my own, made the hatch fasteners, plus connected up the pipes, thread locked every thing in sight, the ride hight of the prop is about level with the bottom of the hull. Going to buy a whip Ariel tomorrow, and guess what took the trim tabs to work and forgot to polish them up, quite pleased with the conversion, hope it goes as well as it looks, think I might have to lower the prop a bit. If you see any thing that could be improved on let me know please, will be out Saturday morning. :)

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2007, 08:46:11 pm »

Looks about ready to rock and roll. Have fun. Did you manage to find a silencer yet for your pipe? Not sure where you are running but you would get complaints where we are up here.

Glenn

Biscuit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2007, 09:06:08 pm »

No not yet, tried to get on Jims site but its not going too well, its used my e-mail address for my user name  ??? but I know I will have to get one, where we run is out of the way, only want to try it out, thanks for the help along the way, all of you
Steve.

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2007, 11:39:41 pm »

You can make your own silencer/muffler, the famous "mousse can" or something more complicated. The two versions can be viewed at MGB, http://www.modelgasboats.com/Magazine_Content/How-to_Articles.html
Another one to adapt can be found here http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/silencin.htm
Remember all a silencer does is a) let the gases expand b) change the direction of the sound wave a couple of times. If you can achieve these two things then you will be quieter ;D
Scott Schneider on Jims got a reduction on a similar pipe to yours by extending the stinger in to the widest part of the pipe, this seems to be one of the ways forward, bleeding the exhaust from the largest part of the pipe (lowest pressure).

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2007, 01:26:38 am »

Might be for a quick test run that the method suggested by Ian of extending the stinger back into the wider part of the pipe might be easily the quickest way to get you going quietly, find some tight fitting tube and shove it in there, it will probably knock the performance a bit but is probably as good a way as any of getting going quickly and quietly.

Glenn.

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2007, 07:55:52 am »

Steve, if you log on to Jims then this is the thread http://www.jrcbd.com/showthread.php?t=3569
If you don't know the name then Scott is an engine "guru". He considers the "china pipe" stinger too large and the internal stinger was his answer both to stinger size (performance) and noise reduction. Enjoy ;D

Biscuit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2007, 04:36:08 pm »

Thanks for that, have made a piece of pipe today, fits nice in the stinger but wont go all the way down because the weld has penetrated inside  where the stinger meets the cone of the pipe, do you just push this pipe in with out any holes like a 2stroke motorcycle? could file the inside of the pipe but don't want to get any filings in to the motor, think I like the look of the stinger on the back, anyway boat in the water no matter what !  :)
Thanks Guys
Steve.

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2007, 05:30:27 pm »

That looks about right, you need one hole just by the pipe/stinger transition so you can drain any oil or, in the event of a flip, water out.
Photos from Scott Schneider.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 23 queries.