Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hull Colour Help  (Read 6642 times)

george

• Full Mayhemer
Hull Colour Help
« on: March 30, 2014, 05:41:06 am »

Hello

I need advice from the membership.

I have scratch built a British WWII LCA, not the U.S Higgins Landing Craft. I am ready for paint BUT my ONLY sources so far are on the internet and they are B & W with some colour put in the pictures.

It looks like the hull is off white, almost like grey mixed into flat white BUT just not sure.

I would like to use Humbrol paints for this as there is a store near me. Any help/tips would be Greatly Appreciated.

Any paint pattern pictures you can share would also help.

Thank You

George

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: Hull Colour Help
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 06:32:28 pm »

Hi George, there seems to be a 'landing craft association' on google and also photos of a 1:76 model from some years ago in a white/blue disruptive pattern. Also, there seem to be a lot of Canadian D-Day references, so maybe there's a source on your side of the water?

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 06:45:32 pm »

PS it's also worth watching this bit of film for the design bit
 http://www.britishpathe.com/video/landing-craft-aka-assault-craft-issue-title-is

:-))

DannyL

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 10:28:54 pm »

Hi,
The  official  camouflage  pattern  is  used  on  the  model  LCA  here  http://www.dantaylormodelworks.com/landing-craft-assault-10-p.asp

If  you  Google  "Dan  Taylor  Modelworks  LCA"  it  should  through  up  some  more  photos.

The  photo  TonyH  posted  is  one  of  his  as  well.  On  the  Milicast  website.

Hull  was  white  and  blue.  There  are  some  colour  chips  on  the  web  here  http://www.steelnavy.com/rnchips.htm
There  are  a  few  colour  photos  showing  landing  craft  in  this  set  of  photos  http://www.flickr.com/photos/photosnormandie/sets/72157607254609563/

Regards

Danny

george

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 03:58:59 am »

Hello again

Thanks again for ALL the information. A question for tonyH, it looks to me Yes the paint is white BUT what kind of white? Flat white, white with little grey mixed in? Also the camo pattern is what I am looking for. From some views the top of the LCA looks to me like flat black? What do you think. The paint pattern chips, I have No knowledge of how to convert them to Humbrol colours.

Any help there would be great.

Thanks again for the help.

George

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 03:47:02 pm »

Sorry George, I've honestly no idea but the question of warship colour comes up many times on Mayhem and the general result seems to be "whatever they have to hand in the lockers".

Are you trying to model a specific craft or a representative of the type and to what scale, since this will have a bearing on the options of colour and finish as will whether it's straight from the factory or heading for the Normandy beaches.
If, for example, you're making a large model, then you could have aerosols mixed to virtually any colour you want to match and then the Humbrol question doesn't matter BUT the finish would show all the scruff left by several platoonsworth of wear :embarrassed: .

It's all good fun!

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 04:21:25 pm »

I have this problem with my S boat, some useful sites I've found are given below. I try to match colours using RAL shades or the equivalent American FS standard.
http://www.shipcamouflage.com/index.htm
http://scalemodeldb.com/paintcharts/ral
http://www.paint4models.com/
http://www.emodels.co.uk

george

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 11:12:30 pm »

Hello again

Thanks to ALL for your help.

I am trying to scratch build a 1/18 scale roughly version as would have been seen heading to the beach at Normandy. From ALL pictures I`ve seen the white hull looks like there is a slight grey to the flat white and the blue has a flat light blue colour as well. That is what I will go for in my version.

Like someone said, it will be my artistic impression. I second guess myself too much.

Thanks Again for ALL your help.

Second Question to this build

Would anyone know what the Canadian / British Infantry soldier`s uniform looked like going into Normandy? I have U.S 1/18 soldiers that are going to be transferred to the Canadian Army.

Finally, does anyone know OR have a few spare 1/18 British WWII rifles, Bren gun etc. my troops have NO Weapons.

George

Niall

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 03:55:52 pm »

Model soldiers are usually sold based on the height of a figure, not a fractional scale, so 1/18 is about 120mm.
There are Lee Endfield rifles and Bren gun machine guns available from here -
http://www.djparkins.com/acatalog/120mm_Weapons.html

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 05:28:38 pm »

For your LCA colours I would dull down the white just a touch. the last time I mixed up an off white, it was a 250ml tin of white primer with a whole tin of Humbrol matt black chucked in ( I think, memory is playing up on this one, try it a bit of black paint at a time, with an example of the original white to hand, so you dont get carried away! ) giving a not quite white, white. The blue, either Humbrol 157 Azure blue, which has more than a hint of grey to it, or Humbrol 109 WW1 Blue, which is blue! Mind you, I have seen colour footage of the bigger LCT4s which seem to use a much darker blue, more like Humbrol 25 Blue. Decks, dont know, probably dark, wear and tear, definitely.
Speaking to Alan Poole of Chantry ( I think..) club, he said to me once " never completely black, never completely white." and he knows how to paint a realistic, working finish, without resorting to acres of rust.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 05:36:20 pm »

The white as applied was pure white. The blue was either B15 (dark blue/grey  Humbrol 96) or more commonly B30 (a medium blue probably closest to Humbrol 89). This accounts for the different tones sometimes seen in the same photo. Decks incuding the well deck should be G10 (Humbrol 112), and the whole interior other than the deck should be white. All the colours flatted off as they dried. You can get exact matches from White Ensign Models.

Battledress as attached. Officers usually wore a collar and tie, ORs as shown. The rifle is a No.4, not the snub-nosed Mk! of WW1.

[I was trying to post this at the same time as UBN].
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 05:39:12 pm »

Agree entirely with UBN's comments. Pure white would look far too stark. We've discussed the scale effect of colour on here previously.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

george

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 04:59:55 am »

Hello Again

First, Thank You to ALL that replied here.

tonyH my LCA is a scratch built 1/18 scale approx. generic craft that would have been seen on the Normandy landing.
 unbuiltnautlius, I will go with your paint suggestions for my project.
 Jonty, thank you for the soldier picture, it will help me and I also sent an email to the company for rifles in 120mm and I am waiting for their reply. I have a further question for you reg. the soldier picture, to me he looks well lightly armed/dressed, I was expecting someone a little more "geared up" for a Normandy Invasion. Can you post anymore British/Canadian Soldiers that would look like that?

But Please, Everyone Again, Thank you for your help.
 George

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 11:58:26 am »

George, if you google 'pathe films d-day' there are loads of film clips of the event including Canadian troops landing from an LCA.

:-))

Steve J

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 12:53:22 pm »

Would anyone know what the Canadian / British Infantry soldier`s uniform looked like going into Normandy?

For the uniforms, I would suggest getting a copy of 'The World War II Tommy' by Brayley and Ingram -

http://www.amazon.com/The-World-War-II-Tommy/dp/1861269145/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1396439419&sr=8-5

Steve

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 12:14:31 pm »

if the Landing craft was a Canadian crew they put a maple leaf on them but it was green during WW2  :-))

if you Google "Juno Beach" then you get to see some good images and info. Juno was the Canadian sector of
3 British beaches. the others Sword was British/Free French and Gold was British 

hope this helps and please post some pictures  :-))

Colin

Niall

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 04:11:24 pm »

Airfix have just release box art for their new Higgins boat kit, this has the Humbrol colours needed to finish the model listed on the web page -
http://www.airfix.com/shop/military-vehicles/172-military-vehicles/a02340-higgins-lcvp-172/

george

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 03:11:06 am »

Hello again

Thank you all again for your help especially the Humbrol paint colour information.

George

george

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 01:11:27 am »

Hello Again

Sorry to bother you all again BUT could someone please tell me if this company: www.djparkins.com/acatalog/120mm_weapons.html   

is still working? I was on their site twice now in about 2 weeks and I went through their company website contact email procedure and like I said, I was polite and two weeks later, no reply.

I would like to buy from them if they are still in business.

Please let me know, to call them is hard for me since I am in Canada and the time zone difference and cost is a factor for me.

Thanks
 George

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 01:33:26 am »

ok2...George...try this alternate address................Derek

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.djparkins.com%2F&ei=5H1MU77MNszTkQXJ9YHwBw&usg=AFQjCNEt48IKQ7q2Dz9omNV3PwWiA3s59w&bvm=bv.64764171,d.dGI

FAQ

Do You Take Paypal?

Sorry, we do not accept Paypal.

Do You Accept Cheques?

Yes, for UK Orders Only - for the immediate future. If you wish to pay by cheque please complete the order process online and select the box marked 'Payment Sent Separately' Cheques should be made payable to 'David J. Parkins'. Once we have received the cheque your order will be sent out.

Can I Pay by Bank Transfer?

No, sorry we have had to discontinue this facility. This is due to the greed of the banks and the ever more extortionate fees that they are now charging both you, the customer and us the recipient.

How Can I Find Out The Shipping Costs BEFORE Placing an Order?

Every item on our web site is logged with its shipping weight and the total is calculated by the weight of items in your basket when you go to the checkout. When you specify the shipping destination the web site will calculate the correct shipping charge AND deduct the UK VAT if the parcel is going to a non-EU country. We have adopted this 'by weight' system to be as fair to customers as we possibly can, since we do not seek to profit from shipping & handling charges.

Because of this, we cannot tell you the shipping cost without going online and placing your order for you - so the easiest way to find out the shipping is to go through the order & checkout process up to the point of specifying the shipping destination. You will then see the accurate cost of the order with the correct shipping included. At this point you can then decide on whether to complete the order proces with the payment details or to abandon the order.

Can You Sell Parts from Kits and Sets Separately?

No, sorry we cannot. This is because, in the case of castings, these are purchased in complete pre-packed sets from the casting suppliers [both metal and resin]. For etchings it is also not possible, as we cannot obtain just one or two parts from what are normally, in our products, large frets.

The same applies to buyers of incomplete or secondhand kits and sets purchased, for example, on Ebay. You should check that such items are absolutely complete as you may find you cannot get the missing items from us to 'make good' a secondhand kit sold with parts that are missing or damaged.

David J. Parkins Cookie Policy

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

george

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2014, 04:03:12 am »

Hello Again

Thanks again for the weapon source help. I was at the site and the Parkin`s site has a nice Bren Gun BUT no Lee Enfield. After the shipping is added and converted to Canadian, it`s pretty expensive and I need weapons for 10 men.

So again I`m here for more help. Does anyone know of dealer of 1/18 == 120mm WWII British/Canadian Hand held weapons?

My wish list: Bren Gun, Thompson Sub Machine Gun, Thompson 45cal. hand gun with holster, MK. IV Lee Enfield Rifle, Hand Granades.

I would like 2 Bren Guns and the rest can be mixed between the rest of the figures.

Any Source help would be Greatly Appreciated.

Thanks Again.

George

Niall

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 09:42:22 am »

There is this set with a Thompson and a Colt 45 pistol(Although the Canadian Army used the Browning Hi-Power 9mm pistol in WW2) -
http://www.historexagents.com/shop/hxproductdetail.php?ProductCode=576

george

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 04:47:09 am »

Hello Again

I would like again to thank you all for your tips and to bother you again. The tips for sources of equipment are helpful BUT they are so far only there in the U.K. I am in Canada and after the exchange and added shipping, those items are Very Costly. Does anyone know of any U.S / Canada sources?

Thanks Again

George

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 09:30:26 am »

Try this site, they are a US hobby shop.
http://www.freetimehobbies.com/

george

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2014, 04:52:13 am »

Hi deadbeat

Thanks for the link. I went to there site and they did not have any 1/18 weapons at all.

I`m still looking.

George

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 22 queries.