Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Herbal cigarettes  (Read 20050 times)

catengineman

Herbal cigarettes
« on: June 30, 2007, 09:39:12 pm »

As the UK becomes a "smoke free zone" well in the work place etc will this law encroach on the smoking of non tobacco products like herbal cigarettes after all if there is no tobacco in them then there is no nicotine in the smoke and therefore would the idea of passive smoking still stand

Just a question as spanner smokes (I quit over a year ago)

Richard,

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Herbal cigarettes
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 09:41:52 pm »

are "herbal" cigarettes not already illegal  ;D

Colin

PSSHIPS

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 09:44:17 pm »

It means anything that burns fossile fuels and chemicals and gives off toxic fumes is banned, so no more cars, buses, trucks, planes, ships, boats, factories or in my opinion anything that kills people from breathing in the after affects.

The wheels have finally fallen off completely!

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 09:52:22 pm »

Fossil fuel???            Where do you get your tobacco ???
Don't Assume Check

PSSHIPS

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 09:53:55 pm »

Tobacco grows on a tree, the tree grows out of the ground, fossil fuel! ;)

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 10:02:27 pm »

Er .... OK.      So where do you grow your coal and oil ???
Don't Assume Check

PSSHIPS

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 10:07:57 pm »

EH?

This ban takes away the freedom of 12 million people in this country, if they "the government" had any idea, they would have made provisions for people to have a choice, ie smoking rooms and set aside areas indoors, not a blanket ban.

Its a pitty, that people do not see the bigger picture, there are far more toxic things we breath in every day that are not due to smoking cigarettes or any other tobacco products, I say to those who doubt this, check the facts, it is still unproven that smoking kills unless you burn to death! 8)

catengineman

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 10:11:30 pm »

A. The new law applies to anything that can be smoked. This includes cigarettes, pipes (including water pipes such as shisha and hookah pipes), cigars and herbal cigarettes.

Found  that on a site which has sent spanne into orbit and I may have to move out for a year or two.

Now while I have quit I am not one of the reformed smoker type and I can understand what the smoker will feel like. Big Brother telling then what they can / cant do where or where not

FREE country (only if your in goverment)

Richard,

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 10:15:21 pm »

pet hate.....everything is blamed on smoking - I had a friend whose grandfather lived to the age of 96 he died not through smoking, because he smoked and worked down the pits from the age of 12.  he died through the NHS' bluinders (make that cockups) of mis-treating a war wound and the poor bloke bled to death in  his sleep and he used to get wrong off the nurses for trying to smoke in the ward - woodbines - to those who dont know what Woodbines are - they are whizzbang cigarettes or legalised maraghooooarna - cant spell it hahaah

jusst opened another TAB to go and google herbal cigarettes....and we will leave it at that.....

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

catengineman

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 10:17:28 pm »

I have just had this thought

IF 'YOU' ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SMOKE ANYTHING------ A TOTAL BAN ON SMOKING

There will be a few FISH dealers in this town out of a job not to mention the cheese and some meats which are "smoked"

Richard,

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 10:22:50 pm »

Found  that on a site which has sent spanne into orbit

Catengineman this has got me creased  ;D ;D was this NASA - dont give a spanne about the spelling but its made me really laugh  8) 8) best laugh Ive had all week
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

PSSHIPS

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 10:24:35 pm »

Somebody better warn those girls down town then, a tenner a time they charge, they aint been banned and will carry on to smoke as many as they can all night long. Just something I have heard ;)

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 10:33:48 pm »

Does this mean that there will be a ban on using our smoke generators in our models ???

mmmmm i think NOT, as PSShips has said theres more ways and means of smoking  :o ;)

Jay
(gave up over a year ago)
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

catengineman

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 10:37:54 pm »

Somebody better warn those girls down town then, a tenner a time they charge, they aint been banned and will carry on to smoke as many as they can all night long. Just something I have heard ;)

The wife has just read through this thread and now wants to know where this place is where the girls smoke as they are ban free!

Richard,

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2007, 10:38:47 pm »

I speak as someone who has enjoyed smoking a pipe and roll ups for years. Smoking is an addiction, smokers are addicts and their addiction should not impinge on the freedom of others to enjoy life as they go about their everyday activities. Nor should smoking addicts expect to be accomodated by everyone who is not addicted to it. Is it expected that an employer, landlord or restaraunt owner or indeed anyone should go to the trouble and expense of creating an area where his employee/ customers can go to persue their addictive habit? Perhaps the smoker should pay to have the area created and if an employee, have his smoking time totalled up at the end of the month and have their pay docked accordingly!
Even as a smoker, I hated going into restaraunts and having somones smoke drifting across my table as I tried to enjoy my meal. I sat in a pub the other day and was being choked to death by two girls at another table who smoked constantly and I felt quite annoyed that I had to endure it. Setting fire to an abnoxios material and filling the room with its fumes when others in that room are expecting to breath clean air just aint cricket.
Consideration for others is the name of the game here.. thats what makes us civilised isn't it??
Before anyone says it, I am NOT a reformed smoker, I just try to be considerate!

slewis

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2007, 10:42:24 pm »

I think you may all find  that the ban is on smoking in enclosed places . Ie workplaces ,bars, clubs and company vehicles. Basically anywhere that a non smoker is in a confined space that a smoker may occupy . Its meant to stop passive smoking .
All that said  it is interesting to note that smoking is not going to be banned in parliament or its associated bars and restaurants .

Hmmmmmmm  one rule for them and one for us peons !  
BTW I will still smoke in a company vehicle if I  am on my own but if with non smoking company I wont   as I never did anyway my rule also applies to anywhere I go .  Oh crap i am talking common sense and decency now ! Someone call the government or police  a member of the public is being rational  !!!!

catengineman

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2007, 10:50:36 pm »

I don't think that the "government" would even concider a total ban on tobacco just think of the revenue that they would have to find from other places Oh well that would be us public then and the first in line would be the car owner (cos that smokes out the tail pipe)

Richard,

PSSHIPS

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2007, 10:54:17 pm »

Yeah! One rule for them and all of us have to live with it, it don't matter what it is, we always get the rough end.
 I don't know about anyone else here, but, I am not voting for any of these clowns and their minions any more.

They just make excuses for getting more money out of us.

We need a fresh approach completely.

Each to their own!

bigfella

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2007, 11:30:45 pm »

Hi All

First of all the way I see it is the lungs are for taking Oxygen out of the air and mixing with the blood stream, I cant understand how anyone can say that smoking is a good thing. In almost all deaths in fires it is the smoke that kills. Having said that I used to smoke as a kid.

I have spent a lot of time in the local Public Hospital and have seen some horrific things that can happen to the human body after years of smoking such as vascular problems, lung problems, strokes, teeth problems etc  etc ................ In Australia smoking has been banned for a while, First in the office then in clubs and now in pubs and as the smokers used to huddle outside doorways smoking, now you cant smoke within 4meters of a building. I think the way the government see it is that the cost of public health from smoking related problems has tipped the balance from the funds received through excise on tobacco products. One of the cigarette co. are trying to circumvent the laws by using a hand held device that toasts a cigarette.

I used to play in a local band and after every gig I had to take my clothes that I wore that night and seal them in a bag before going home as the smell of the smoke on them almost made me throw up.

I don't begrudge the smoker enjoying his habit, but it is not mine, so don't share it.

Regards David

PS I can see in about 20 years or so that smoking will be on prescription only.

PPS And another thing that bugs me about smokers is the fact that they don't think twice about flicking the butts on the ground that really PI55ES me off.

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2007, 11:37:12 pm »

My twopence ,like it or not
the smoking ban has beem brought in not to stop everyone who smokes to stop ,but to allow those who do not the chance to go out into an enviroment where they are not going to have their clothes saturated by smokers .
I was once a smoker myself so i know what it's like , yes the smokers among us and the civil rights avtivist's aswell will say it's an infringement of our civil libertys .
Ok so my pleasure is drink and the residue of that is urine  would you mind if i urinated on your clothes and saturated them as smoke does .
Yes its nice to have the choice .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

bigfella

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2007, 11:42:15 pm »

My twopence ,like it or not
the smoking ban has beem brought in not to stop everyone who smokes to stop ,but to allow those who do not the chance to go out into an enviroment where they are not going to have their clothes saturated by smokers .
I was once a smoker myself so i know what it's like , yes the smokers among us and the civil rights avtivist's aswell will say it's an infringement of our civil libertys .
Ok so my pleasure is drink and the residue of that is urine  would you mind if i urinated on your clothes and saturated them as smoke does .
Yes its nice to have the choice .
daz
Well said

DARLEK1

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2007, 11:43:26 pm »

The problem I see, is that personal choice has been taken away, so no longer a free society, more a dictatorship, its OK for them, but, not us! It is unfair, wrong and down right silly! What is wrong with pubs etc, going back to the old school way and having "smoking rooms" it worked for many years in the past and only changed when BIG  money was required by the breweries, they gutted pubs etc to have open plan, so now, no more smoking rooms that they use to have, there is one easy answer, to those who don't want to breath even outside clean air which is impossible in a town or city, cut your wrists now, because it is going to get worse before it gets better and it won't get better, just worse.

We all die in the end!

bigfella

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2007, 11:52:34 pm »

The problem I see, is that personal choice has been taken away, so no longer a free society, more a dictatorship, its OK for them, but, not us! It is unfair, wrong and down right silly! What is wrong with pubs etc, going back to the old school way and having "smoking rooms" it worked for many years in the past and only changed when BIG  money was required by the breweries, they gutted pubs etc to have open plan, so now, no more smoking rooms that they use to have, there is one easy answer, to those who don't want to breath even outside clean air which is impossible in a town or city, cut your wrists now, because it is going to get worse before it gets better and it won't get better, just worse.

We all die in the end!

Why should SMOKERS be the only ones who have rights in this debate. Non smokers have rights not to have smoke filled rooms or pubs or clubs.

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2007, 12:13:08 am »

I gave up smoking 37 years ago. Since then six of my relatives have died of smoking-related diseases - cancer and emphysema. I have lost count of the number of friends and acquaintances who have gone the same way.

My grandfather smoked black "xxxxx" and lived to be 94. My father-in-law smoked and died aged 58. It's a lottery. I enjoy life and anything that increases my chances of enjoying it for a bit longer gets my vote. Sorry, Paul and all the other "victims" of tomorrow's smoking ban, but this is one bit of legislation that I have to agree with.

Rick

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2007, 12:53:33 am »

We put our 'No Smoking' signs today ready for Monday (we dont open on Sundays thank goodness!)

What naffs me off is we can be fined if someone comes in our store puffin on the weed and refuses to put it out! What am I supposed to do, threaten them with a cricket bat if they dont put it out there and then?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 23 queries.