Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Herbal cigarettes  (Read 20054 times)

OMK

Re: Herbal cigarettes
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2007, 01:44:07 am »

The wife has just read through this thread and now wants to know where this place is.......

Send 'er round to mine.

Mr. Sheerline is the only man to say it how it is. It all boils down to consideration. I love smoking, but I hate to see non-smokers wince as they're forced to inhale smelly smoke -- more so when they're eating.
My old Momma, she raised us on 'baccy, beer and clean clothes. So it's not hard to ask someone, say, in a pub or restuarant, if they mind you smoking, before lighting one up. Nine times out of ten they usually don't mind anyway - it is a pub / restuarant after all. And if they do mind, or if they're eating, then you simply sidle over to the juke box or shoot some pool and smoke at that end of the room.
Recall the scene from The Politician's Wife where the powers-that-be are sat in The Commons, puffing their cigars... in the smoking room. I wonder if the new law applies there also?
But Cat-on-an-engine's thread caught my eye because it says herbal in the title. But I didn't realise it was a question of morality - I thought it was a snippet about herbal fags. Spliffs... ganja... Bob Hope.... etc.
I was pleasantly surprised to hear Bob Wozniak telling the world how he "shared a few joints with his buddies" while talking computers. An old floozy of mine would say, "a contradiction in terms.". She was right. A genius like HIM?... smoking marajuana??!!!
So why do they say dope makes you dopey? How come dopey Wozniak got loads of $$$?
Gents, this latest law might just go the same way as the poll tax fiasco. Besides, The Blue Boar is the meanest, roughest snot-pit in town. I'm there last weekend and even the Plod are there enjoying a smoke. The week previous I'm at the swanky Walnut Tree Hotel, here in this village. Same attitude.... at one end stays the smokers, at the other end stays the non-smokers and diners. Somewhere in the middle is the bar where both sides congregate and dirink the place dry.

Last word to Mr. Sheerline...

Sire, my vocabulary doesn't normally do 'politician'. Can I ask you a couple questions?...

1) Have you ever considered being a politician? (Sounds like you'd be a good 'un).
2) Have you ever considered that vacancy for Knight Of The Round Table?
3) Did not some flooze Cleopatra kick-up a bit of stink when some bozo tried invading her rights?
4) Can you name the man who discovered longitude?

Final word to the whole group...

Gentlemen, apologies for hi-jacking this thread, but can you bear with me while I get this mssg out. Namely, a call to Dave Jacket and Bluebird:

Dudes, moving to new QTH tomorrow. Give me a couple days to get settled in and get the new ISP hook-up. I'll holler from there.
If either of you can fathom-out why the Mayhem site is the only place where my missives don't get bounced back....

Thanks one and all.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2007, 03:12:23 am »

As the UK becomes a "smoke free zone" well in the work place etc will this law encroach on the smoking of non tobacco products like herbal cigarettes after all if there is no tobacco in them then there is no nicotine in the smoke and therefore would the idea of passive smoking still stand

If by herbal cigarretts you are talkingh about the legal kind, then.

The do not contain tar so the smoke doesn't stick.
They do not contain nicotine, so non addictive.
But the smoke is still carcinogenic, can still trigger cancer.

BTW garden bonfire smoke is really bad, but I never did twenty of them a day.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2007, 10:47:26 am »

Just saw that the "censor" has changed my grandfather's "black sh*g" - a particularly evil-smelling tobacco - to "black smoke". Perhaps the ban extends further than we realise!

Rick

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2007, 01:39:15 pm »

Hi PMK, politicians are 'professional liars' so I don't want to be aligned with them in any way. I think smoking is a freedom we have all enjoyed and the 'right' to smoke has NOT been removed since we are all still at liberty to do it, we just need to respect the rights of others.
I have just been back to our old town, where we used to live 20 years ago and met up with my neighbours. We all looked a lot older and greyer and had a good laugh at each other but the laughter was cut short when they both announced they were short of breath and had emphysemia.. directly due to smoking! These chaps had given up smoking years ago and in one case, 20 years but the illness still caught up with him a few years after giving up. Now thats a worrying thought. Those dedicated to the habit may argue "well if it gets you even if you give up, why bother, I might as well keep going". The 'right' to kill oneself still exists in this way so I can't see what all the fuss is  about. Respect is something in short supply these days but in smoking terms, respect your fellow man.. put yourself in his place.
Think on this, we are all still at liberty to smoke in the street, I remember well my wifes clothes being discovered with a fag burn after going shopping, she had to throw it away and it cost her money to replace it. Someones 'right' to smoke in a public place cost her money and she has never smoked in her life! I can see a time when smoking in the street may well be banned and in fact I think this is the case in some cities in the States. Perhaps it might be a good thing?

Herbal stogies don't work, bin there ,done that, they are not a replacement and by crikey they are REALLY foul.

One last thought, if I was in a restaraunt having smoke blown at me from across the room by someone, would I have the 'right' to fart and waft it in his direction. Answer: yes I would! I don't do it out of respect (and I don't want my lights punched out either)!
OH GOD I Miss my PIPE!!!!

catengineman

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2007, 09:55:13 pm »

The wife (spanner) has calmed down today and as a reward I helped her move a bush from the back garden to the front, She will continue to puff (her words) and WILL be asking why the lords and that can continue to smoke in THEIR place of work?

I gave up fags and it was my choice not from the need to improve my health but I had become 'bored' with the habit of lighting up. This story is not all roses and good stuff after about six months of not smoking I had a 'mild heart attack' while aboard ship, the doctor in the hospital asked how many fags I smoked a day? and it took several tries to convince him I had stopped, the smell from work mates and then my wife smoking was on my clothes. So now I am on the way to getting myself healthier.  (fat hope there)

Some times I get the smell of spanners tobacco and ? I'll not have another fag, but fresh tobacco can smell quite nice ?
I would not smoke at a meal table and would ask if I was in some one else's vehicle even if they were smokers.

as mentioned before it really comes down to Respect for others.

Richard

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2007, 10:56:09 pm »

I understand the term 'fags' is a slang word and a somewhat derogatory term used by our American collegues ( I won't go into detail) and I bet it brings a smile to their faces when they read our Brit posts!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2007, 04:14:10 am »

I was in bar in Canada in the early 80s. I asked the waitress 'how much are fags?'

she replied "I don't know how much they are cahrging these days, but cigarretted are two fifty a pack'

bigH

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2007, 12:26:51 pm »

Well TT you shouldn't have any problems with a cigggie ban, didn't I read somwhere that China is one of the biggest consumers of same as well as one of the biggest manufactures   ??? ??? ???

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2007, 01:42:03 pm »

God help us all its monday and the new law is in place and i can say fellow staff members are SO SO STRESSY as they cant nip out for a fag anymore.

wont be long before someone cracks i expect ::), just as long as im well hidden when they do crack i dont care.

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2007, 04:07:33 pm »

Well TT you shouldn't have any problems with a cigggie ban, didn't I read somwhere that China is one of the biggest consumers of same as well as one of the biggest manufactures   ??? ??? ???

Yeh the cheap 'uns are about 15p a pack.
more salt petre than backy

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2007, 08:20:12 pm »

Sounds more like a box of fuses than fags!

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2007, 08:44:47 pm »

Are they addictive ????

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

bigfella

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2007, 10:45:48 pm »

Hi All

I visit our local hospital on a regular basis, while trying to enter through the main entrance you have to fight your way through the throngs of patients who are outside with their drips on poles having a crafty cigarette. It does not make sense to me.

Regards David

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2007, 11:22:54 pm »

Patients? At our local health centre it's staff -  doctors, nurses and technicians. Is the message getting through?

Rick

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2007, 07:47:38 am »

It's not only the patients that stand around at the doors, it would appear that more staff (docs and nurses) smoke more than any patient..........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

bigH

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2007, 05:38:38 pm »

;D  My mate called in to see me today laughing like a drain, when I asked him why the mirth? he said that he was in work  ( nurse in local hospital) and doing ward round with consultant who was showing off to visiting VIP, he asked a patient how he was and the patient said ok, but his chest was not good.   The consultant with a smirk replied "Perhaps you would feel better if you gave up smoking"' the patient replied, " I have never smoked but I worked with your father who smoked like a b****y chimney"...   Exit one red faced consultant....   bigH

OMK

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2007, 04:12:38 am »

Question #3 in me previous missive gave mention to Cleopatra, when you knew all along that Cleopatra is a typo for Bodicea, right?
I've just returned from a mission down ye olde Harvest Moon. 'Mission' meaning it's the place where model-boat nutters, drinkers, diners, where even magistrates and ne'er-do-wells hang out - and have to shiver their goolies off in the cold while trying to enjoy that nicotine sensation.
i.e.: a pub. A place where smokers and oiks are forced from the inner cosy comforts of our fave public bars to the outer shivering windsept 2007 British July. Brrr!
As the powers-that-be deem it fit to ban its citizens from smoking in said establishments, should I take a leaf from Sheerline's book and start farting/wafting, farting/wafting while they're tucking-in to their cordon bleugh? As tempting as it is, nah, probably not. But I don't really care what the argument is - whether it be an issue of health, herbal, non-herbal, whatever... just PUH-LEEEES give us back our smoking snugs. BST has passed Somerset thus far, and it's too bloody cold to be loitering around the outside of pubs, looking like a refugee from Nicotine's United.

Surprised, too, that no-one came back with the answer to question #4. Surely one of you shanty-singing, rum-swigging, sea salts would have known it was John...............................

OMK

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2007, 04:29:42 am »

If by herbal cigarretts you are talkingh about the legal kind, then.

Mate, where I come from herbal fags mean those funny-smelling ones -- the ones that get you arrested.
Is there such a thing as legal herbals, then?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2007, 09:20:24 am »

I wonder how long it will be before some boater with a smoke generator running his model on an indoor pool gets prosecuted?  ;D

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2007, 10:00:44 am »

As an ex smoker with emphysema I believe that some leeway should have been given to the smoker who still wants to risk his life. Separate smoking rooms in pubs etc.
However I would like to point out that if smokers could experience what it is like to suffer from emphysema they would probably give up smoking tomorrow.
For example we all sail boats, think what its like having to always have someone with you because you cant lift the boat, you cant bend down to put it in the water, if the car park is not next to the pond you need someone to push the wheel chair. You can only go to local shows as if you go further afield you need to arrange for an oxygen supply or load the car with cylinders. As for making your boats you can only work for short periods as the fumes from glue, epoxy, paint, soldering and not forgetting dust can leave you gasping for breath.
Foreign holidays are out because you cannot fly or arrange for oxygen.
In short lung disease affects absolutely every thing you do in your life, and I do mean everything.
The only good things are you get to retire early and you can lease a new car every 3 years, at a cheap rate on the Motability scheme.
One final thing, don't rely on the old adage "it cant happen to me", it can.
Lecture over.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

cdsc123

« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2007, 02:32:13 pm »

I gave up 10 days ago after a pack a day for 25 years, your previous comments regarding your condition helped me decide.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2007, 05:04:09 pm »

Best decision you've made Christian, keep at it.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2007, 06:04:43 pm »

My friend Craig died of lung cancer in May. My friend Liam died of lung cancer in June. Both were life-long smokers, although Craig had given up for a while. Both had lost weight. Both looked drawn and haggard. Both had difficulty breathing. Both coughed up God-alone-knows what, and both were in constant pain.

I had to sit and clean off sticky, yellow, stinking gunk from Craig's workshop equipment with methylated spirits before I could use it, and I've had to clean off the same sh1t from Liam's personal belongings before we can do anything with them. I don't want to think what the inside of their lungs looked like.

Stuff the smoking ban, if that's the way you feel. Let's hear it for personal liberty - and nuts to the Health Fascists!

Carry on smoking if you want to. After all, it'll never happen to you..............

FLJ 

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2007, 10:17:18 pm »

Hi Dicky D, I am sorry to hear of your plight. I think you could do a lot of people on here a lot of good if you could explain your condition a little more, for instance: had you given up the fags prior to contracting emphysema, what were the initial symptoms, does it improve once you have given up or just get worse?  Someones personal experience often carries much more weight than some tv ad and is more likely to sink in with the potential 'giver upper'. I know this is a rather personal request and would fully understand if you chose not to reply to it but I just think you could save a few lives here.
Best regards.... Chris

OMK

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2007, 12:33:02 am »

Nicely put, Mr. Sheerline.
Just for the record, I've been hooked on the weed since 8-yrs-old. Would I like to quit? Probably (the anti-social thing is driving me nuts). The thing is, my old man quit smoking 4 yrs previous to dying, and although he suffered chronic bronchitus since birth, it wasn't that easy for him to kick his habit.
For more years than I can remember the quacks had been begging him to stop. No amount of gov't-backed so-called 'frightener' campaigns nor any medical advice would sway him. Not that he didn't want to stop smoking, it was that he COULDN'T stop. Major difference.
Okay, so he got there in the end.
You know something, though?
From the day he quit, his health deteriorated waaaay beyond the speed of reasonably normal.
His doctor finally admiited that if he stayed with the weed, then he'd probably still be here now. Mentioned some techno-babble that his body simpy shut down because it couldn't accept such a sudden change.
Crazy, eh?
It gets worse...
He had an absolute loathing of those - especially the ex-smokers - preaching to him that he should quit, and how much better people they have become, blah. "Two-faced hypocrites", he called 'em.
The old goat didn't realise that he'd become the exact same sort of person that he loathed so much.

FLJ:
Nicotine-stained computers, huh? Ooof!... not nice!
You reckon that that's bad? Man, you ought to see one of my bro's. He can sit there, day after day, and won't even think to empty his ashtray before it's resembling a bleedin' mountain.

Me?... leaving sh***y second-hand smoke stains all over me widgets and gagets??
Perish the thought!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.