Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Build my own dive unit  (Read 12952 times)

salmon

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Build my own dive unit
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 12:38:31 am »

Please do not patronise me
I have built a Trawler, a Mk 2A U boat but never got to fit the electronics an Imara tug.  and virtually scratch built the Mk7.  Built the dive system to my design and it works.  I need to populate the WTC which I have constructed.  So please....If you have nothing constructive to say say nowt.
Why was my question very very basic smart 'bottom'?
And I have the book you mention Essex2 - thankyou!
I am reading this thread with interest. Andy and David are some big names in the R/C Submarine industry and have a history of incredible running machines and creative contributions to industry. Whether they rub you wrong or not, rather than fight or get offended from a frank remark, humble yourself to learn. You can not take what they say wrong when you ask what ESC means. An ESC (Electronic Speed Controller) is a device used in RC cars, boats, planes, and subs.
You snap back offended and I guarantee, the help will dry up.
So what do you really need to know? How to populate your WTC? That is a heck of a question, how can someone tell you what you need? What type of ballast system are you going for? What is the dimensions of the tube you are working with? How much do you need to displace to make your sub buoyant (to waterline) or sink? The fact that you have a WTC (Water Tight Container or Cylinder) made, and all you are looking for is just general list, then you need (as you mentioned) servos, battery (if going LiPo [you look that up] Batteries - you may want a failsafe also and a low power protection), leveler (some use it some do not), pumps or gas system, receiver, Electronic Speed Controller, motors. Depending on how much you want it to do a 4 - 6 channel receiver is what you can use (more the better - especially if you add more functions). Do not use 2.4 GHz as it will not work below the surface.
When I built my first sub (currently on my 4th sub, plus a couple repaired to working), David told me the same advice as he told you, "crawl, walk, run" I took it to heart and learned along the way. I have not met better people, but I had to prove I was serious.
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Kazzer

• Shipmate
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 02:05:09 am »

Spoke to him some time ago.  He has his own dive unit he will sell me.  But I want to build my own thanks.
Fred

You want to build your own WTC?  Why? Are you totally insane?  I have spent many hours looking at the costings of building one off WTCs and 'Experimenter Kit' ideas, and the time and effort involved priced at $6 an hour far exceeds the price of buying a ready build professional unit.

Don't waste your time on this. Build a model by all means but power it with a Sub-driver.

Albion

• Shipmate
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 08:43:43 am »

Even buying a purpose built dive unit will not mean you are in the water in 10 minutes, there is still a lot of work to do, but you have short cut some of the issues and perils.

If you browse the various RC forums related to Submarines you will find numerous posts from souls professing to be experts in this and that and how they know what they are doing, but very few actually deliver something that works, so historically David is more likely to be right than wrong. If you do produce the goods then it is major achievement.

So go ahead, I'm sure you will get support as you progress, but you have been warned of the dangers ahead  :-))

PS My early attempts at building a working ballast system are now in a box which is mentally labelled as, "I will make these work one day."

Rodgearing

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2014, 09:11:10 am »

Even buying a purpose built dive unit will not mean you are in the water in 10 minutes, there is still a lot of work to do, but you have short cut some of the issues and perils.

If you browse the various RC forums related to Submarines you will find numerous posts from souls professing to be experts in this and that and how they know what they are doing, but very few actually deliver something that works, so historically David is more likely to be right than wrong. If you do produce the goods then it is major achievement.

So go ahead, I'm sure you will get support as you progress, but you have been warned of the dangers ahead  :-))

PS My early attempts at building a working ballast system are now in a box which is mentally labelled as, "I will make these work one day."
Agreed but I never professed to being an expert that's why I asked but when you  get  non constructive you wonder why you bother.
Any way leave it there please comments, those that are constructive have been taken on board the rest have been ditched.
Bon chance till the next time
Fred

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2014, 02:46:41 pm »

Dear, oh dear...I do not believe what I am reading. What the heck is wrong with you lot? Someone asks for advice, someone offers advice, and the whole post then just disintegrates into a barrage of insults, bordering on abuse.

Why can't you guys just leave things alone? If you don't have anything constructive to offer to the post, then keep your fingers away from your keyboard.

The advice being offered here is practically gold plated, and offered by three people who probably know more about model submarines than the rest of the so called 'keyboard warriors' who insist on stirring things up.

This is exactly why I have become disillusioned recently with the hobby, after forty years or so of building model subs. Trust me, you will learn more in ten minutes talking to any of those three guys than you will ever learn by trying (and probably failing) to do things on your own. I spent years listening and learning from the two gurus of model submarines...Bernie Wood and Ron Perrott, and I can still learn from their vast store of knowledge.

Posts like this are the easy way to put newcomers to the hobby off completely...as I said earlier, if you don't know anything then don't say anything. Read, inwardly digest the information, and learn from it.

Rich
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2014, 07:05:17 pm »

Well said Rich,
my sentiments exactly
cheers
vnkiwi  :-))
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2014, 07:11:10 pm »

Topic cleaned up. Keep it civil and polite gentlemen, constructive comments ONLY!
..... no one wants to get banned.

Martin   
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Kazzer

• Shipmate
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2014, 10:03:07 pm »

That would be too easy, I think we should let them stay here and suffer....... :-)

THAT'S MEAN AND SADISTIC!   

Merriman has work to do, he shouldn't be bumming around on these forums. Did you get those Surcouf hulls?

GET BACK IN YOUR CAVE MERRIMAN!  Orders need to be completed.

salmon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2014, 10:06:10 pm »

No sir I have not gotten the hulls yet or the WFly 8ch radio.

If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Kazzer

• Shipmate
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2014, 10:13:16 pm »

No sir I have not gotten the hulls yet or the WFly 8ch radio.

Ha! Ha!  Ha!     That's GREAT!         You'll just have to S U F F E R!!!!!  Ha! Ha! Ha!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2014, 10:27:27 pm »

Kazzer ( Caswell plating) banned.
 Anyone else?
   >:-o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

merriman

• Full Mayhemer
  • I wanna go back ....
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2014, 10:38:25 pm »

Kazzer ( Caswell plating) banned.
 Anyone else?
   >:-o

Me too. Use the sharp knife, Mr. Moderator, if you will.

Andy ... you have the conn, sir.

M
"Anything the human mind can conceive is possible -- you know that, Blake!"

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2014, 11:11:22 pm »

Sorry.... :embarrassed:...I got it wrong.......it wasn't Commander Merriman of the RAN [Oberon Class submarines]......it was Commander Merrifield........ Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2014, 09:11:57 am »

Martin...far be from me to criticise, but I think you've banned the wrong man.

Rich
Rich

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2014, 09:31:19 am »

Sorry.... :embarrassed:...I got it wrong.......it wasn't Commander Merriman of the RAN [Oberon Class submarines]......it was Commander Merrifield........ Derek

Uncle Albert :D :D

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2014, 09:58:07 am »

Ned....you have lost me  >>:-(.......the only Uncle Albert that come to mind were in lyric's sung by the Beatles ??????????????????????????? Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2014, 10:13:10 am »

He's referring to 'Uncle Albert' from the sitcom Only Fools and Horses. The character was played by the late Buster Merryfield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Albert

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2014, 10:40:10 am »

''when I was in the war...''
Rich

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2014, 11:56:10 am »

He's referring to 'Uncle Albert' from the sitcom Only Fools and Horses. The character was played by the late Buster Merryfield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Albert

For our colonial friends who do not have access to quality television  :-))

Uncle Albert
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2014, 12:29:00 pm »

Ah Well

Seems to have lightened the tone of the thread a little  :-)) :-)) :-)) %) %) %)

Ned

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2014, 12:35:48 pm »

I must agree Ned....I do remember Steptoe senior [Wilfred Bramble?] in the Beatles film Help....when he suggested that particularly good looking young woman with large breasts ...."I bet she is a good swimmer" {-)   {-)

;)...but have never seen 'Uncle Albert' from the sitcom Only Fools and Horses .....Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2014, 01:15:19 pm »

He had a never ending supply of sea stories from WWII.
He was torpedoed, bombed, blown overboard and washed ashore or rescued.
Normally only Albert and the Captain survived.

He came to live with Del Boy after Grandad died.

Ned

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2014, 02:01:36 am »

Courtesy of Wikiquotes:

Albert: Do you know I was torpedoed five times?
Rodney: Yeah?
Albert: Yeah. Do you know what they called me?
Rodney: Jonah?
Albert: No, they didn't call me "Jonah"... Not many of them. They used to call me "Boomerang Trotter" cause I always came back
----------------------------------
Rodney: (about Albert) I've said it before, I'll say it again: that man's a right Jonah. I reckon that when he boarded his last ship, the crew shot an albatross for luck.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.