Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playground rides from when we were kids.  (Read 3126 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Playground rides from when we were kids.
« on: April 01, 2014, 01:40:34 pm »

I was telling my daughter about playground rides when I was a kid and now looking back, how dangerous they were!
I can remember:

Solid Tarmac ground, usually covered with a liberal dispersion of broken glass.
   ( easily brushed aside with your school blazer!)

The High Slide> I swear it was as high as the 1st floor on my house. Winner shots of the end the furthest.
   ( for extra speed, slide on your polyester jumper. )

The Big Swings.
You won if you would dare to jump off the swings (without breaking any limbs or your face) while 'doing the bumps'.

Roundabouts were not speed restricted, and you 'won' if you could get your face closer to the ground than anyone else.

The 6 seater horse. You won if you were on the back and could hold on the longest.

The Umbrella aka Witches Hat. You if you didn't break any limbs, could climb over the top, didn't get tagged in "You're it!" whilst at full speed, or could climb on with your eyes closed while it was 'doing the bumps'.

The 10 seater Swing Dragon. Only fun when enough of us could swing it fast enough so the metal rods bent against the stops.

See-Saw. Great way to loose teeth or knee caps. You won if you could stand on fulcrum with 4 kids on each end.

Climbing Frame. Guaranteed to hit your chin on every cross piece as you fell off.

What do you remember about playgrounds from when you were a kid?
 Martin - Ah, memories!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Trevor Holloway

• Shipmate
Re: Playground rides from when we were kids.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 01:47:15 pm »

I remember being allowed to play on all those unsupervised whilst on holiday abroad !

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 01:52:00 pm »

There was a park in Grantham (where my grandparents lived) that had a traction engine in it. A huge, multi-ton lump of steel, sharp edges, rust & tetanus that was a magnet for kids like me. I loved it.   :-))

edit: I had to check. It was an Aveling Porter steamroller. "Many can remember their childhood spent climbing on the machine before it was taken from its home of 40 years in 1999 because of health and safety concerns."

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 02:08:41 pm »

Found some pictures!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 02:47:15 pm »

Hmmmmm  I can see us going on the swings and slides  at mayhem after a few drinkies!!!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 03:04:39 pm »

Thankfully, Wicky's rides are shut in the evenings.
Mead and burnt stuff will stay down {-)

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 03:09:17 pm »

I remember the horse - "Bonny Bright Eyes" on its nameplate at the base of its neck.  And at another park, doing the paratrooper off the big swings, where the object was to see how far you could fly past the dge of the concrete apron.  And finding the half buried rock in the grass and limping home. 
But the big attraction at my home park was the old air raid shelter, with its adjacent fence/climbing frame, which was all things to all kids.  The fence provided the more enterprising a way onto the roof.  Getting down was a different story....
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 03:30:50 pm »

We were going to explore the underground passages of the shelter anti-bombardment.

To light us we put stones of carbide of calcium in some water in a bottle.

It was very dangerous

We did not know

Our parents either

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 10:01:57 pm »

....& dreadnought72 said ....

"A huge, multi-ton lump of steel, sharp edges, rust & tetanus that was a magnet for kids like me. I loved it"

Andy...I suspect it came from 1 of the 3 Blast Furnaces shown in the image posted by Martin.........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 10:27:48 pm »

They weren't dangerous but taught kids balance, adventure, confidence, fresh air, physical activity, and all the rest. :o :o :o

There are more accidents with today's so called scientifically, safety oriented, playground equipment. O0 O0 O0

So what does that tell you. %% %% %%

Gunna build those other boats one day.

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 11:04:06 pm »

I remember that flaming horse I caught my knee underneath the back end of one in Poole park resulting in tears and stitches, still got the scar

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 11:49:07 pm »

Latest idea here is not to have scoring in kids footy matches etc. in case the loosing team get psychological problems.  <:(

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 08:55:17 am »

I fell off the top of the high slide going for a fast head first slide.
Landed on that very forgiving tarmac.

1 fractured wrist and a very sore face!!
Meant I missed the rest of the cricket season too.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 09:14:56 am »

we as kids used to make our own playground under Fleetwood Pier.......would loop an old tyre under the top girders of the undercarriage so the metal didn't cut the rope and then attach a rope to the tyre........would then either at low or full tide swing like tarzan ( although not in body fitness) from pile to pile.......and drop into the sea....great ful.......would also play tig under the metal structure..had such fun.....then some sodding arsonist spoilt it for future generations to enjoy similar fun by setting fire to it all......bah humbug..........

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 09:28:44 am »

:-)) When I was a kid in Rotherhithe (which was badly bombed in the war, docks the target) our only playground was a bombed out telephone exchange,great fun hiding in the rooms among all the rubble and old equipment,as far as I can remember no one got hurt apart from a few grazed knees,kids need a little bit of risk in their lives that's they learn to judge risks,Ray. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))     
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 09:46:36 am »

:-)) When I was a kid in Rotherhithe (which was badly bombed in the war, docks the target) our only playground was a bombed out telephone exchange,great fun hiding in the rooms among all the rubble and old equipment,as far as I can remember no one got hurt apart from a few grazed knees,kids need a little bit of risk in their lives that's they learn to judge risks,Ray. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))   

OH SO TRUE, Ray

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 10:05:56 am »

Blackpool Pleasure Beach was only a few minutes walk away from where I grew up.  Many were the bits of my DNA on the things inside the House of Fun.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 11:02:08 am »

OOOOOOOO - i remember the equipment in pictures 1 through 6 though not 4, dont remember one of those, picture 1, we had one with more horizontal rings going further up the cone - those were the days claradon park salford - we used to get told off regualary for peering over the wall to the eccles railway line to watch the steam trains that passed by (now the M602 to regents road and manchester) and then there was chimney top park - never had much in the way of kids stuff because of the bowling greens.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 01:25:21 pm »

Blackpool Pleasure Beach was only a few minutes walk away from where I grew up.  Many were the bits of my DNA on the things inside the House of Fun.

so long as it wasn't the crown jewels that you left behind  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) %% %% %% %% %% %% <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:(

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 01:46:25 pm »

<:( Talking about crown jewels had a nasty accident with my push bike when I was 12,spent 3 days in hospital don't bear thinking about,ouch that hurts just remembering it,Ray.. <:( <:( <:(   
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 05:03:26 pm »

and on a point of how we have changed HSE wise over the years, this was sent to me 5 minutes ago by an Ozzie mate..  seems we are the same the world wide over, lol
SCHOOL  -  1957 vs. 2014

Scenario :
Johnny and Mark get into a fight after school.

1957 -  Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends.

2014 -  Police called, and they arrest Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it. Both children go to anger management programmes for 3 months. School governors hold meeting to implement bullying prevention programmes.

Scenario :
Robbie won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1957 -  Robbie  sent to the office and given six of the best by the Principal. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2014 -  Robbie given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADHD – result deemed to be positive. Robbie's parents get fortnightly disability payments and school gets extra funding from government because Robbie has a disability.

Scenario  :
Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1957 -  Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2014 -  Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care; joins a gang; ends up in jail. 

Scenario  :
Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1957 -  Mark gets glass of water from Principal to take aspirin with. Passes exams, becomes a solicitor.

2014 -  Police called, car searched for drugs and weapons..   Mark expelled from school for drug taking. Ends up as a drop out.

Scenario  :
Johnny takes apart leftover fireworks from Guy Fawkes night, puts them in a paint tin & blows up a wasp's nest.

1957 -  Wasps die.

2014 -  Police & Anti-Terrorism Squad called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, investigate parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated.. Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly in an aeroplane again.

Scenario  :
Johnny falls over while running during morning break and scrapes his knee.  He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. She hugs him to comfort him.

1957 -  In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing soccer. No damage done.

2014 -  Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy and ends up gay.   

This should be sent to every e-mail address you know to remind us how stupid we have become!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 10:00:22 pm »

10 out of 10 Neil........ :-)) ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 01:18:49 am »

I was just thinking how things had changed for the better thanks to the PC brigade :-))

:o :o :o :o :o     %) %) %) %) %)
Gunna build those other boats one day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.