Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hull markings  (Read 2146 times)

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
Hull markings
« on: April 12, 2014, 09:33:17 pm »

I bought sets of BECC stuff for Plimsoll Line and depth markings which come printed on transparent sheets. So, expecting them to blend in once coated with clear varnish, much as wet transfers do, I cut them out and applied them. However after a few of coats of satin varnish they still look pretty iffy:

This is on a cheapish 'Southampton' tug which is in part a testbed, so I'm not too fussed about it on this model (though suggestions to improve it would be very welcome). However, on my 'big' project I would not be happy with this, so I'm after any ideas on what to do from scratch, or even an alternative product, to get a better look.
I'm even contemplating trying to build the depth and Plimsoll marks from individual lettering and lines, but that would be pretty hard work - and I rather doubt there are small enough sets to do the Plimsoll lettering.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hull markings
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 09:38:28 pm »

I agree, they do look too thick.

Maybe transfers are the way to go.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

ixion

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 09:49:27 pm »

You could try spraying gloss varnish on the hull before applying the transparent sheet then when everything is dry spray with matt or satin varnish. That may help disguise the film. I think vinyl letters and depth
markings is the way to go as the letters on the plimsoll line vary, The Wyeforce (Southampton) has UK on not GL.

Pictured is one of mine home made with BECC vinyl

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 10:00:33 am »

You could try spraying gloss varnish on the hull before applying the transparent sheet then when everything is dry spray with matt or satin varnish. That may help disguise the film. I think vinyl letters and depth
markings is the way to go as the letters on the plimsoll line vary, The Wyeforce (Southampton) has UK on not GL.

Pictured is one of mine home made with BECC vinyl
Thanks.
The paint surface was gloss anyway, so not sure that would help.
What size lettering did you use? (What scale is the boat?)
The tug is under new ownership, so not UK registered :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 23 queries.