Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My latest project: Billings Cux 87  (Read 2279 times)

Marty

My latest project: Billings Cux 87
« on: July 01, 2007, 07:49:54 pm »

Hello, here's my latest project: a Billings Cux 87. I must say it was easier than I expected (considering it was my very first model kit ever!). I'm hooked now; My new project is going to be a Billings Norkap.

The first picture of my Cux (and yes; i'm going to post some better picures soon ;)):

kendalboatsman

Re: My latest project: Billings Cux 87
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 10:40:38 pm »

Hi Marty,

Looks good :) How did you find the Billings instructions? I have found them a bit vague on some of the static kits.

Clive :)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 10:44:49 pm »

Don't sail it, frame it!  ;)

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 09:04:51 am »

Looks fantastic, how did you get on with the stern planking when I did mine it was very difficult to get the right curvature. Have you sailed it? I modelled mine witht he nets down as I seen on blow over in a small wind.

Very good build, as been said above Billings instructions are a good exersie in being brief.

Daryl

Marty

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 08:42:43 pm »

Hi all, thanks for the compliments.

No, this boat is not meant to see real water. It a pure static model. My new built, the Nordkap, will be RC.  I'm slowly increasing the difficulty of my builds. This Cux kit was a test to see if I had it in me too built a model ship (and a small personal victory it was  ;D).
I considered RC to be too difficult (there are no RC instructions with the kit) and expensive for such an experiment. Remember I had never ever built a model kit before, not ever one of those tiny plastic ones!

The planking at the rear was also a problem I faced. The planking was problematic at the rear, it was a bit like clinker building. Only this is of course not intended! It took a awful lot of sanding to get it right again.  ;D

Well, with the instructions I didn't had any problem. But it has to be said that I'm technical engineer by trade. The drawings challenge your technical knowledge of ship construction (and force you a bit to be creative) !  But I can very well imagine that the drawings are a bit vague for most people.
I have to say the plans for the Nordkap are certainly not much better. Not a problem, but I'm a bit surprised it doesn't come with any additional instruction for RC. On the website and in the brochures they say it's RC suitable. If I look at the plans it will take some major changes to make the kit fully RC. But I've already designed the needed changes for myself; no problem. I'll post them next week.

hobbyman

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 04:59:17 pm »

Hi
I have just built the cux 87 too,didnt realise t was a static ,that explains the difficulty getting some of the bits in it ,chkl  sails well though ,not too good in a wind as the nets act like sails ,i find the billings instructions a bit hard to follow too ,what there is of them ,

bigford

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 11:35:46 pm »

billings gives instructions with there boats??? my smit rotterdam has
more bad pics then poorly written  :P instructions  :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.