Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cervia tug gearbox  (Read 2032 times)

Geoff C

• Full Mayhemer
Cervia tug gearbox
« on: April 12, 2014, 11:41:01 am »

Hi Guys,     I've started building a 36" model of the Cervia tug which would be driven by a 540 type motor through a gearbox and a 60mm Graupner nylon 3 blade prop, which I already have.       Electronize make a 543 motor that's been rewound to give more torque.      Do I need a gearbox? and if so, whats best, gears or belt drive?  Cheers,  Geoff C.
All my senior moments seem joined together these days.

inertia

Re: Cervia tug gearbox
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 12:58:33 pm »

Geoff
I reckon you'd be better off with one of these. More torque and less expense. I shall be fitting one to my new Maine Lobsterboat.
http://www.componentshop.co.uk/mabuchi-555-dc-motor-mounting-bracket.html
DM

(and you can collect from Llanllechid from where you are and save the postage, too!)

Geoff C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 03:38:54 pm »

Inertia,  Many thanks for that.     It looks like I won't need a g/box with that motor, thanks.    Geoff C.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 03:43:48 pm »

hi there Geoff
Are you building the Cervia from a kit or is it a readymade hull; or are you making the Cervia from scratch - as in the masterclass build.   The reason I ask, is that 36 inches overall seems an oddball length as a 1:35 scale should work out at 38 inches roughly.  I think 1:24 scale works out at about 28 inches - but that is just a thought.

As a 60 mm prop does seem on the large size for the hull.   I seem to recall when I built the Cervia it was either a 45 or 50 mm brass prop that I used.  To drive this, I used the MFA belt driven gear box but sadly MFA dont produce these gearboxes any longer.  You can still get them though if you shop or hunt around Ebay and such good places.

The motor I used was a 540 pretty high revving one on 6 volts.   As another side note  O0  the motor Dave is mentioning on the thread above, if its the same one or the same style as Dave supplied to me when he owned ACTion - it will do the job fine cos I have this type of motor (direct drive) in the Archer Tug which I built - it drives a 50 mm 4 blade prop using a 7.2 NiCad battery. 

Food for thought my mate.

aye
John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

tugmad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 04:49:08 pm »

Hi it looks as though the scale has been worked out at 1/35th ok but somebody has used the length B P which is a tad over 105ft instead of her overall length which is 113ft  at 1/35th the BP for the hull would be 35.9 inches and at her O A length it would be 38.5 inches.
the length BP is measured between the two vertical points where the bow and normally the rudder stock touches the water, and the O A length is just that from tip to tip. hope this helps   Geo.

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 08:42:53 pm »

I bought a couple of 555's from Dave at the Leamington Spa Show 18 months ago (last 2 left - special price!) and have one fitted to my 33" Mountfleet Models 'Highlander' Puffer driving a 4 Blade 70mm prop. Goes beautifully.
John

Geoff C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 12:07:32 pm »

Thanks for the info guys.     I just thought 36" would be a handy size to handle.    Most of my models have been between 30" and 36" loa.     I'm building it from the hobbies store plans and scaled the loa of 28" up to 36".    It will be scratch built with plank on frame hull as per Bluebird's excellent masterclass.    Best regards, Geoff C.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.538 seconds with 21 queries.