Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Health and Safety  (Read 3059 times)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Health and Safety
« on: July 02, 2007, 09:49:42 pm »

I just thought I would share a picture with you that makes me smile every time I look at it. 

How much have we progressed since these days when Health and Safety is involved with every little thing we do.

How much money would you put on the fact that the stops have been put back on the chain after the anchor was lowered?  Would the poor guy actually feel anything if the brake slipped?
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Health and Safety
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 10:12:20 pm »

Very good. made I smile.

I took the liberty of enlarging it to see what he was up to.  Looks like a funny place to put a phone box.  ;D

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 10:53:02 pm »

look No orange vest

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 11:30:56 pm »

Back in the sixties we used to wash down Vulcan bombers with hoses and stiff brooms. Our "protective clothing" consisted of an oilskin "black mac" worn over our denim overalls, which in turn were worn over our uniforms. Apparently, although we didn't know it at the time, the aircraft were covered in radioactive dust!

It's easy to mock health and safety - I do it myself - but there are times when I worry about what we put ourselves through.

Rick

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 09:12:18 am »

Very good. made I smile.

I took the liberty of enlarging it to see what he was up to.  Looks like a funny place to put a phone box.  ;D

::)
Brings back memories, it was a good skyving job for apprentices painting in the draft marks fore and aft as she came out of the water during discharge. We used to use the jolly boat draped in burlap. One time in Hong Kong a sampan bum boat was giving us beers for the contents of our paint pots. Being enterprising lads we turned to early at lunchtime and lowered a full 5 gallon drum into the boat ready to make a killing in the paint black market  ;D. Sods law says she was nowhere in sight so we lowered the drum under the boat with a heaving line so the Harry Tate wouldn't spot it. All fine until a floating crane turned up to pick a lump of engine out and put down a couple of kedge anchors. We were rowing from one end of the ship to the other with the mate watching us on deck when we realised we were not moving !! Yup the dangling drum was snagged on the kedge anchor wire  ;D ;D (sort of reverse swan action - lot of activity on the surface b-gger all happening underneath !!) We  managed to quietly back peddle and move a bit further out without him twigging, but the sampan never returned so somewhere under the long since reclaimed land in Hong Kong is a rusty drum full of Idwal Williams's best topside green  ;D ;D

MikeK

ps another time we had the same job up the creeks in west Africa with the 'West African Ensign' hanging over the back. Don't know where health and safety stands on turds dropping on you from a great height. Only did it once mind you  :-[ >:( >:(

OneBladeMissing

• Full Mayhemer
  • Man overboard! Leave Him! (Eric Sykes)
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 04:57:56 pm »

look No orange vest
Is that Gollum doing the hosing down?

I've just read about a passenger on a cruise ship being stopped from playing the piano in one of the lounges to entertain his friends and other passengers on health & safety grounds.
What grounds I hear you say?  "He might damage his fingers" !!! Apparently, the guy plays like Richard Clayderman ... not Jerry Lee Lewis!

Back in 1989, I was down in Southampton and was looking at the yachts assembled for the Whitbread Round The World Race. Sitting on the Armco barrier on the pier changing the film in my camera, I was approached by a security guard. "Would you mind not sitting on the barrier? It's not designed to take the weight of people sitting on it" ! "It's designed to stop vehicles driving into Southampton Water, so it should be strong enough to take my weight!" says I. "Yes but it's not for sitting on, you might damage it. Health and safety you know" ! ... and there's me, at a sleek 13 stone! Cheeky barsteward!
"Give me a tall ship and a star to steer her by ..... or a short ship and a GPS!"

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 07:26:16 pm »

I reckon the baggage handler who apprehended the Glasgow terrorist will be in for a schock soon. Rather than being praised by his employers, he may just end up with the health and safety brigade coming down on him.
A- not in his job description. B- endangering himself by doing a job without the correct police training. C- approaching the scene of a fire without protective clothing. D- unauthorised leaving of his place of work, thereby exposing customers baggage to possible theft/ terrorist interference.
Joking aside, the guy should get a medal for bravery!     

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 11:09:30 pm »

In response to sheerlines comments about the airport worker and the HSE
He just proves what the HSE has been preaching for years.
P.P.E Always wear appropriate steel toe capped footwear, never know when you have to
put the boot in to terrorist heads  ;D ;D

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 08:57:05 am »

Damnit, I forgot protective footwear!! :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.