Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting power to wheelhouse without using plugs  (Read 4100 times)

iantype-r

• Full Mayhemer
Getting power to wheelhouse without using plugs
« on: April 17, 2014, 06:59:24 pm »

Hello all,

I want to get power to my radar and flashing light on my trent. I want it to work without plugging in. So when I drop wheelhouse down I need to make a connection for it to get power.

I was going to use some sort or brass plate either side and on the deck and wheelhouse, when it drops down it will make a connection and get its power.

Is there a better more professional way of doing this,

Regards

Ian

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Getting power to wheelhouse without using plugs
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 07:47:19 pm »

I use 9 pin D sockets and plugs from Maplin.

Joe  :-)) :-)) :-))
Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 07:57:00 pm »

I simply put it all up in the cabin and need no connection at all to the hull.

After all, there is no shortage of space in the cabin and there is no problem with running 2 receivers with the same transmitter.

Small 2s lipo, a Bec, and a second receiver bound to the main transmitter managing the lights and radar etc.

If you use the same channel on both receivers they work in unison, using a particular channel only on the cabin receiver gives individual control.

iantype-r

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 08:48:28 pm »

Umm thanks kinmel, yes I guess I could do that now you mention it. The small 6v battery is quite light, so guess I could just attach it to bottom of wheelhouse floor,

Thanks

Ian

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 02:36:42 am »

The issue is achieving a solid contact.

Pat Matthews used pogo pins in one of his builds.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933829&page=12&highlight=brass+pin+electr#post12395207

I used a brass plate and battery springs in the roof of my pilot house.
However, from the deck house to the pilot house I cemented Deans Pins and sockets.
The pilot house plugs into the socket in the top of the deck house, and is then screwed into place. The pogo pins seem a bit cleaner...  %)

:-)

More Coffee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 03:36:08 am »

A guy can get wireless  contact's for a car door. In the end its just a more expensive version Of What UMI suggest.

If getting it lined up is a problem , a small dab of paint on the end of what ever you choose would help.

iantype-r

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 08:30:37 am »

Many thanks for the replys. I'm looking for the most neat version of doing it,

Regards

Ian

inertia

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 08:39:14 am »

A couple of these, fixed vertically into a small wooden block near the top of the wheelhouse, with the sprung probes contacting two flat brass contacts in the removeable top. Solder 7/0.2 or 10/0.1 flexible wires to each for connection to power and lights. This is a miniature version of the car contacts solution.  http://uk.farnell.com/harwin/p25f0126/probe-pointed-contact/dp/634554?MER=en-me-pd-r2-alte
DM

inertia

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 09:59:34 am »

Make that "fitted vertically near the edge of the coaming". I had that tug wheelhouse picture in my mind when I wrote the earlier post!
Alternatively do you really need to turn the radar and light on and off by radio? The sweep arm would be turning all the time the vessel is at sea, and probably the flashing light would be on if the boat was on its way to a rescue. You could adopt the earlier suggestion of fitting a small battery in the wheelhouse and just having a manual switch somewhere.
DM

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 05:46:07 pm »

I adopted the manual switch because it didn't make sense that a
ship would turn off its lights when running. Now and then I wish I could
switch the deck lamps.  %)

More pogo pins.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pogo+pin&client=opera&hs=kKF&channel=suggest&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=s6ZSU63wDebbyQH93YHQBQ&ved=0CEIQsAQ&biw=1153&bih=716

iantype-r

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 05:48:36 pm »

Many thanks for the reply. I'm planning on having the light and radar on both together. I will put a switch so I can turn them off when I want.

Having just tried the light and radar, I'm not sure the small 6v battery will last all that long. So going back to trying to make some contacts that will make the connection when placed down. That will allow me to use a bigger 6v battery then.

Those contact pics could work if the position is right from wheelhouse to a brass plate on the deck, thanks for the link.

Video of light and radar

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/iantype-r/media/Mobile%20Uploads/trimBF0FD4EF-6409-4FA9-994B-4E0EE329D8E9_zpsc1fc5218.mp4.html

The Old Fart

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 06:43:25 pm »

The cabin roof on my puffer is removable. it has 4 leds mounted in the roof to illuminate the cabin. leds are the no resistor type, work from 3v to 24v.

two brass tubes rise from the floor, covered in black heatshrink. two brass rods hang down from the roof. slide rods into tubes, circuit made. holds the roof in place as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.