Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 65   Go Down

Author Topic: Forum News, Announcements, Updates, Errors, etc.....  (Read 663108 times)

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
Re: Forum News, Updates, Errors, etc.....
« Reply #150 on: May 24, 2013, 10:50:45 am »

Happens here anytime vnkiwi, even now I have to wait a few minutes going between posts, have experienced every problem ever recorded - wonder what the cost per member would be if we were to pay a yearly subscription to enable Martin to switch to a better server - (assuming that would solve many of the problems of course)  As much as it is frustrating for us, and after all his work and goodwill, it must be soul destroying for Martin to see all the negative comments and feedback.    Regards, Tony

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #151 on: May 24, 2013, 11:13:20 am »

We have 3755 members and 35 thousand letters to sort through every time you click your mouse.

The costs of a new upgraded server is around £1000  per year. 

Please support us by contributing a little donation in the box below

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/paypal.htm     

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: May 24, 2013, 11:17:30 am »

tt1.........some members do already support the Mayhem electronic fund..............Derek  :-))
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: May 24, 2013, 11:18:33 am »

And how much is wasted by "Bloated" threads taking server space with repeat picture threads?

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Stavros

« Reply #154 on: May 24, 2013, 11:29:39 am »

And i am raising funds by going down the longest zip wire all pledges on the relevant thread in chit chat

Dave

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: May 24, 2013, 11:50:44 am »

Hi Derek, of course I am aware that some members contribute to the forum, as do I. The question I simply ask is if all members were to pay a yearly subscription what would be the cost / year /member to enable an upgrade?  If kenny's figures are even close ( sure that it's only £1000 / year Ken?)  then we're only talking pennies - about 27p!! can't be right??  If only half the membership were to subscribe say £5 a year that would yield a working pot of £9375 - or am I missing something here?           Regards, Tony.
         P.S. even on this post I'm getting errors!!

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: May 24, 2013, 12:45:35 pm »

It's more in the region of £2.70 Tony

Unfortunately, I feel that there's more to the issue than just throwing a lump of money at it.

As for the membership figures quoted (by Ken), more than half of them have never placed a single post.
As some of these may have re-registeresd with new email addresses/moved on/passed on/lost interest, etc, I'd be inclined to remove them and let them re-register if they are still about.

In fact, looking at the stats, it appears that around 65% of the registered members have made between 0 and 3 posts. I can't imagine them being in any great rush to subscribe financially, can you?

Andy
How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: May 24, 2013, 12:54:10 pm »

as i have said before i would like to put a few bob to help mayhem but i have no BANK ACCOUNT NO CREDIT CARD   and no ADDRESS to send a postal order to  end of story  regiment

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: May 24, 2013, 01:24:51 pm »

Hi Regiment, have seen your previous posts and appreciate your situation. I'm not in anyway shape or form thinking of  voluntary contributions, (as important as they are), was thinking more of a yearly fee or subscription equally payable by all, but considering the rational behind Andys' post .........................  probably not one of my better thoughts!   

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #159 on: May 24, 2013, 02:00:56 pm »

Hi Regiment, have seen your previous posts and appreciate your situation. I'm not in anyway shape or form thinking of  voluntary contributions, (as important as they are), was thinking more of a yearly fee or subscription equally payable by all, but considering the rational behind Andys' post .........................  probably not one of my better thoughts!

You said it  O0

£ 1000.00 ken !! seems a bit high that.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #160 on: May 24, 2013, 03:15:17 pm »

Like most Forums, only a tiny proportion of registered members actively participate and not all of them do so constructively!  ;)
I think the current voluntary scheme of making contributions is the best way but maybe it should be pushed a bit harder at one particular time each year - designate a 'Contribute to Mayhem Week' perhaps to bring it to people's attention instead of just hoping the contributions will trickle in from time to time.
Regiment, just PM Martin for his address and send him a fiver in an envelope - job done!
Colin

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: May 25, 2013, 12:04:17 am »

As much as it is frustrating for us, and after all his work and goodwill, it must be soul destroying for Martin to see all the negative comments and feedback.    Regards, Tony

Tony, not complaining, just stating the response I have received and the times it occur's.Simply some more data to add to the pool, which may suggest a cause, hence a solution.
I have always admired Martin for giving use such a forum, and appreciate the time and effort in doing so. And the cost involved.
As to the timing for the period, doesn't really bother me personally as that's my time for domestic duties after work, and enjoying my dinner, so has little effect on myself, but do appreciate the timing in the UK and the USA, may impinge on quite a few.
Just a bit ticked off on everyones behalf, including Martin's, as it very rarely happened on the old server. And no, I don't advocate a return to same. Thank's Martin, keep up the good work, and the suggested financial help around a 'Contribute to Mayhem Week' deserves merit.
cheers
vnkiwi
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #162 on: May 25, 2013, 02:05:50 am »

Hello vnkiwi, not for a moment did I have detremental thoughts about yourself, anyone, or any particular complaint re the server problems, was just voicing consideration and expressing a little empathy for Martin is all and at the same time wondering if improved cash flow could finance a resolution. As stated earlier I just accept the problems now, but fully appreciate the frustrations that these problems cause, which may also be the cause of some members to lose the inclination to post.
                               Regards, Tony. :-))

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: May 25, 2013, 09:01:14 am »

Tony,

It seems to me that if we "charged" everyone for using the forum, then there would be an expectation, if not a right, that all should work OK all of, and every time anyone chooses to access the forum.

Whilst currently voluntary, it is a privilege to be a member and as such we can only advise of difficulties to assist in the rectification but cannot demand anything as its a privilege.

Not being a computer nerd it is pointless to guess what is going on but suffice to say the "new' site is having more than its share of problems and is off putting.

I have noticed some regular posters are no long posting as frequently as before, maybe, because of access problems.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: May 25, 2013, 10:44:10 am »

Zapped again this morning. Server providers must rank high on the list with Car salesmen, Estate agents, Gipsies, tramps, thieves and Politicians.

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: May 25, 2013, 02:02:35 pm »

there are very few secure servers that are cheap, even if you host the site on your own machine you are at the whim of your service providers, I belong to several forums and in the past have moderated some, and even the best sites can have problems, there was a fire at a server centre in chicago many years back, that took nearly 1/3 of the internet down, one australian forum was down for  two weeks after that event, and the owner had thought he was on a local server in australia. I have looked into using my own server to host a website, but with the costs of just registering a domain, getting a broadband package that allows you to run your own site etc can cost a small fortune.
Grendel

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: May 25, 2013, 10:17:59 pm »

Good point RAAArty Gunner, and yes your most probably right O0  I guess expectation is higher and patience somewhat lower these days, so as you point out the payer may well be more demanding.  Regards, Tony. :-)) 

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: May 26, 2013, 12:13:44 am »

I sometimes have problems but not so frequently as you guys seem to - odd that.

Dave

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: May 26, 2013, 12:58:14 pm »

This is not a complaint but an observation - of all the forums I use it is Mayhem that has the consistent problem of time outs and unavailability (for whatever reason).
Can this situation be improved by a change of server I don't know, not a computer genius however similar forums do not seem to have the same problems.
In what I hope will be seen as offering help and not criticism:

Various other private forums that I frequent run a fundraiser once a year to help cover costs. It normally doesn't take that long to reach the required target.

£ 1000.00 ken !! seems a bit high that.

As a concrete example of a similar forum, 6,500+ members, 530k+ posts.
Costs 2013 (according to their last fundraiser):-
hosting $1428
forum script $80
+ name fees...
so about £1k
The host used is www.liquidweb.com and the forum script is Invision. (I have no connection to either.)

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #169 on: May 26, 2013, 01:22:07 pm »

Server restarted....atl least I know why today.... all the sunshine here at Wicksteed has confused it!!!!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #170 on: May 26, 2013, 01:30:37 pm »

The costs of a new upgraded server is around £1000  per year. 
Please support us by contributing a little donation in the box below

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/paypal.htm     

Yes that's about right. Remember Mayhem  has had to upgrade it hosting at least four times over the years!

Tue, it could be software and configuration issues but the cost of in depth investigation is about £100 / hour and the hosting upgrade about £500 for the whole year. .... and then there is Wicksteed and software etc on top of that.

All contributions gratefully received!

Martin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #171 on: May 28, 2013, 03:49:18 pm »

Server seems exceptionally flakey today

Ned (Not moaning, just providing a bit more
info to Head Office.)
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #172 on: May 29, 2013, 05:16:42 am »

I still have issues here between 10am and 11 UK time (in other words lunchtime Finnish time)  Gets very slow and many timeouts.  Other than that seems to be fine here
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #173 on: June 05, 2013, 07:25:22 pm »

>>:-( >>:-(  So what did you do today, while Mayhem was of line?!   >>:-( >>:-(

F4TCT

• I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example
  • Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #174 on: June 05, 2013, 07:33:06 pm »

been to baby group and then went to the pub.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 65   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.