Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Forum News, Announcements, Updates, Errors, etc.....  (Read 665278 times)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Forum News, Announcements, Updates, Errors, etc.....
« Reply #1450 on: February 09, 2021, 04:01:03 pm »

It's quite possible that security patches can only go so far before there is more patch than program, and there comes a time when ever advancing hardware means that a time comes when a ground-up restart is the best answer.  Whether that results in a better system is a bit hit and miss. 
To that end, I got on well enough with Windows 3.1, didn't really see the point of W95, but got on OK with it.  Liked W98SP2, avoided ME and W2000, Really liked XP, couldn't see the point of Vista, though W7 was great, detested W8 (not on my own, there) and now that W10 looks and feels like XP / W7, I find it acceptable.  Apart from one or two areas where some lumpwit in Seattle thinks that he knows best.  I don't know how available personal entertainment drugs are there, but I have suspicions.
Any new toys that I buy for use on W10 are likely to work because they have current drivers.  The same is not true for older versions.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1451 on: February 09, 2021, 11:59:38 pm »

I've always suspected that the vast majority of later updates are just bloatware to make your machine slightly slower, eventually forcing you to upgrade.      Microsoft are as corrupt and as cynical as it could possibly be - look up the AARD code....
ALL of Mr. Gates products are BLOATED , I've learned LINUX to get away from Microsoft, Win 7 can use all the apps I want , I'm not dual booting that's asking for trouble, instead I've installed fresh SSD's to load linux on , I change the leads on the drives and disconnect the router when I go back on Win 7 . (out of interest Microsoft tried to 'spike' Win 7 in November last, luckily I'd disconnected the router)
Bill

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #1452 on: February 10, 2021, 07:47:38 am »

ALL of Mr. Gates products are BLOATED , I've learned LINUX to get away from Microsoft, Win 7 can use all the apps I want , I'm not dual booting that's asking for trouble, instead I've installed fresh SSD's to load linux on , I change the leads on the drives and disconnect the router when I go back on Win 7 . (out of interest Microsoft tried to 'spike' Win 7 in November last, luckily I'd disconnected the router)
Bill
I have multiple computers and each only does one job - the most vulnerable one is this one - I use it every day for general browsing.  It's Win7 on a Compaq machine so if I need to re-install, it doesn't need to access M$ to fully activate itself (they had a deal back then with HP/Compaq ever since WinXP).     It's very handy - I can create a new install on a new hdd and I'm good to go.    I also have 2 duplicate machines in the garage being stored.      I also have an old WinXP netbook which has no value so is safe to take with me to hospitals - it has no data or identifying information on it so there's no security risk if it gets stolen.  :-))

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1453 on: February 10, 2021, 08:40:35 am »

instead I've installed fresh SSD's to load linux on , I change the leads on the drives
Bill
It is quicker to boot into BIOS, select the boot drive you want and reboot to that. It takes 30 seconds plus one extra boot time.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1454 on: February 10, 2021, 09:34:11 am »

So plastic says .....'I have multiple computers and each only does one job' ...... I didn't realise Noah has a gen-set on the Ark  %)  Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1455 on: February 10, 2021, 11:42:10 am »

I used to have 2 XP computers on my internal network (behind the firewall) just as a print server and a file server, since the printer that required XP died and was replaced by a modern colour laserjet, then I didnt need the XP machines, these were replaced with synology diskstations which run a unix based storage databank, each of these uses about 48W, so a considerable energy saving over the 250 and 500w desktop xp machines, all my files are stored on these in raid configuration, (if any hard drive fails, i just plug a new one in and it rebuilds the file system to the new hard drive from the other hards drives) this frees up hard drive space on my multiple laptop and desktop machines, only one of which is still windows 7, plus i have a laptop configured for unix, this is the machine that I use when away from home.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #1456 on: February 10, 2021, 12:18:49 pm »

I used to have 2 XP computers on my internal network (behind the firewall) just as a print server and a file server, since the printer that required XP died and was replaced by a modern colour laserjet, then I didnt need the XP machines, these were replaced with synology diskstations which run a unix based storage databank, each of these uses about 48W, so a considerable energy saving over the 250 and 500w desktop xp machines, all my files are stored on these in raid configuration, (if any hard drive fails, i just plug a new one in and it rebuilds the file system to the new hard drive from the other hards drives) this frees up hard drive space on my multiple laptop and desktop machines, only one of which is still windows 7, plus i have a laptop configured for unix, this is the machine that I use when away from home.
Yeah - I did a similar thing but the power consumption is huge - I simplified down to the minimum spec for the job - I have those little fan-less mini-pc (Sumvision Cyclones) optimised for their job - only 5W max consumption when in use.    I also bought multiple mini NAS raid storage (Buffalo LinkStation-Mini)  so it's all on 2.5" drives - probably not totally as reliable, but the power savings easily pay for replacement drives if they should fail.

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1457 on: February 13, 2021, 11:45:03 am »

It is quicker to boot into BIOS, select the boot drive you want and reboot to that. It takes 30 seconds plus one extra boot time.
I was advised not to dual boot as the linux boot up / Microsoft boot up can clash with each other  depending on what apps you have installed , a desktop PC is easy to change connections as their accessible thru the side panels (I build my own so I know where they are )
Bill

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1458 on: February 23, 2021, 10:00:38 am »

When I was in hospital, one on my inmates.... bed mates was a 98 man from Bourne, Lincs.
His name was Leonard..... 98  years old  and he was the fittest out of all of us!

When my phone rings it rings with the Big Ben clock chime, ( Westminster chimes ).
On my last day in hospital, he wrote me this poem!

A true British gentleman.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1459 on: February 23, 2021, 11:09:02 am »

Hi Martin, hope you're doing well now.
That's a lovely gesture from a fellow patient - thank you for sharing it with us all.
It made me smile and feel good inside...  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #1460 on: February 23, 2021, 11:42:57 am »

Great to hear that you are feeling better Martin :-))
There are some truly great people out there in the world
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1461 on: February 23, 2021, 11:48:41 am »

Good to have you back at the helm Martin, Len sounds like a true old school gent it must have been nice to pass the time with him.

Joe.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1462 on: February 23, 2021, 12:46:21 pm »

What a great poem - welcome back and get well soon  :-)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1463 on: February 23, 2021, 04:58:59 pm »

Good to have you back at the helm Martin, Len sounds like a true old school gent it must have been nice to pass the time with him.
Joe.

Yes and as you can guess, his memory is as sharp as a pin..... and yes, great stories that made all laugh!  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #1464 on: February 23, 2021, 06:08:00 pm »

Hear, hear to all the other comments Martin,Good to hear you're feeling better and wlcome back to the mayhem that is, well, Mayhem!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1465 on: February 23, 2021, 06:43:20 pm »

Good to hear you are back home Martin and hopefully pretty much recovered.

Luckily the Forum continued to function in your absence with the Moderators keeping a watching brief. But if it had gone down due to a technical problem what might have happened then? Do you have technical backup to keep it up and running?

Mayhem has become probably the most useful model boating resource in the UK, (if not the world! :-))) with a vast amount of practical information, and from what you have previously said, is now largely self funded from donations.

It is therefore vital to ensure that there is a disaster recovery plan in place in the event (hopefully never) of you falling under the proverbial bus.

Colin

Macsmouldings

• Martin
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Supplier of Larger Scale Modelling Accessories
« Reply #1466 on: February 23, 2021, 07:23:52 pm »

Good to hear you’re feeling better Martin, good to have you back.

regards,

Martin and Mel
Supplier of Larger Scale Modelling Accessories

RST

« Reply #1467 on: April 14, 2021, 10:33:19 pm »

I was going to post a build but Malwarebytes is just not having mayhem the last few weeks.

Already whitelisted, re-listing doesn't work. Doing the usual clearing of cookies and cache etc doesn't work....

"Secure connection failed"

...then the usual pop-up after saying blocked due to potential Trojan.  This is not unusual but normally clearing history /cache / cookies does it.  But why does malwarebytes not like mayhem. It's not right to keep overriding a basic internet protection I'm paying for?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1468 on: April 14, 2021, 10:49:57 pm »

I run Malwarebytes on two machines... not a problem.
 Same on my work Laptops nothing reported & they have industrial AV protection....   {:-{

See:  https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/914cdf86f3d24c99def93220875f41e433e8b6ec0472285d742a5e1ddea2dc96/detection

RST

« Reply #1469 on: April 15, 2021, 08:03:58 pm »

It came back yesterday. ....for a few hours then this morning same thing and pop-up with malwarebytes spitting the dummy out again. Weird!

RST

« Reply #1470 on: April 15, 2021, 08:13:00 pm »

I'm just checking whether it's a problem with my laptop and doing a full scan as mayhem is whitelisted still (the website and the forum).

The error message says...

SSL_ERROR__RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG

Then says the authenticity of the received data could not be verified, then, contact the website owners to inform them of the problem.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1471 on: April 15, 2021, 08:15:13 pm »

R U using that windoze stuff  {-)  go to Mac and brushless and don’t look back  :-)
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1472 on: April 15, 2021, 08:48:29 pm »

RST     Are you using Firefox ?

RST & Martin.      have a read of this....   https://www.thesslstore.com/blog/ssl_error_rx_record_too_long/

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1473 on: April 15, 2021, 08:53:54 pm »

R U using that windoze stuff  {-)  go to Mac and brushless and don’t look back  :-)

{-)

RST

« Reply #1474 on: April 15, 2021, 08:55:29 pm »

Hi, yes its Firefox. I apparently have the correct listening port. Most other words on that link are Greek to me so far! I was checking back the malwarebytes records also and seems it started blocking anything on mayhem since 30.3.2021. perhaps there was some kind of an update back then.

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.