Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Forum News, Announcements, Updates, Errors, etc.....  (Read 665489 times)

RST

Re: Forum News, Announcements, Updates, Errors, etc.....
« Reply #1500 on: April 24, 2021, 10:01:21 pm »

Just an idea
Maybe buy a cheapo old bag of crap device just for internet browsing with no personal information onboard to require malware  or any other interfering programmes
...could send me your apple thing and I'll try from that?  I'm not changing a perfectly good computer just to suit ONE SINGLE website out of millions, nor would I expect mayhem to change anything.  I'm just trying to find out by process what exactly has caused the block as it's never happened this way before.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1501 on: April 24, 2021, 10:03:03 pm »

{-) My oldest apple is 2013 and you can’t afford it  :}

Original battery and up to date operating system
Loves Mayhem type sites  {-)

I know there are other members with your same issue and they have just decided not to bother with mayhem until it’s fixed
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

RST

« Reply #1502 on: April 24, 2021, 10:09:14 pm »

Keep'em coming Andy I'll keep batting back.  I can't figure out why the block.   ....it seems OK tonight for this ONE SINGLE website but there's no rhyme nor reason to it!  Really weird.

...Like you I absolutely can't stand the 30min editing thing also -so when I've had acess before, I lose everything if either the forum, or my malwarebytes doesn't like it!

(PS: oly thing I did tonight was to run MBAM in compatability mode for win 8 and seems ok since.... Not much any option to change anything else and certainly not going into script as on weblink suggestions, but seems to be working tonight)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1503 on: April 24, 2021, 10:20:03 pm »

Dunno what all he problems are about. I never have any difficulties. I don't use Malwarebytes though...

Colin

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1504 on: April 24, 2021, 10:23:09 pm »

Keep'em coming Andy I'll keep batting back.  I can't figure out why the block.   ....it seems OK tonight for this ONE SINGLE website but there's no rhyme nor reason to it!  Really weird.

...Like you I absolutely can't stand the 30min editing thing also -so when I've had acess before, I lose everything if either the forum, or my malwarebytes doesn't like it!

(PS: oly thing I did tonight was to run MBAM in compatability mode for win 8 and seems ok since.... Not much any option to change anything else and certainly not going into script as on weblink suggestions, but seems to be working tonight)
In my experience the best management of editing is for editing to remain open up until the time a reply is made. Certainly 30 mins is out of date IMHO. Facebook allows editing indefinitely of your material.
Screen grabbing posts on Facebook is a big thing these days especially when prominent people are bad mouthing you. I have a stack of embarrassing material on a number of them. I'm tagged as HWSNBN  {-)
ANDY

RST

« Reply #1505 on: April 24, 2021, 10:36:44 pm »

Dunno what all he problems are about. I never have any difficulties. I don't use Malwarebytes though...

Colin
Hi Colin,
...neither do I, it's just been a feature I'm blocked for all of April and can't get past it.  It is the ONLY website that's being blocked.  I'm spamming this post trying to fix it because there's little alternatve.  Actually, it's good to chat on this because it's not played up tonight.

...Andy as you know I'm not on FB, social media etc etc.  The number of on-line accounts I have is limited to counting on fingers for good reason.  I never was a member on any other forum with any editing limit before (I've been on LOTS of forums before) -I see no sense in it at all but as far as this forum I understand it's way behind the coding of any oher SMF -it's Martins site so entirely his choice.  I disagree with you about the "like" button but would love to see the editing limit removed.  But no bother, seems like I can post OK again -maybe that's a bad thing.

RST

« Reply #1506 on: April 24, 2021, 10:40:04 pm »

test again!

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1507 on: April 24, 2021, 10:42:07 pm »

I understand your view on the "like" button but in other peoples views it means that topic subscribers can show appreciation without padding out the useful material with replies in a post. Currently appreciative posts are welcome but a "like tab" keeps a thread concise.
Take MarkT as an example I like every single picture and post he makes but saying that in a post all the time would make his build very diluted if you're searching for something.

Nice boat  :-))
ANDY

RST

« Reply #1508 on: April 24, 2021, 10:51:50 pm »

... Thats what has been contentious before. Surely far more polite to post up than just arbitrarily hit a button.

I used to have admins take my likes off as they mean nothing apart from point scoring. But back then I was like GG and Colin, DM etc and posted a step by step EXACTLY how to go about something, tools, materials, part numbers, weblinks, time taken. Lasted a week each time before folk refused to read it in preference of an exact answer so never ever again but I admire you guys who do it!

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1509 on: April 24, 2021, 10:54:16 pm »

Polite doesn't make for good blogs. No one wants to wade through lots of nice work posts. Two sides to every coin but Mark agrees.

I must reiterate that in the absence of a like tab a compliment is welcome especially if it includes a question.

Edit
Point scoring is an unpleasant term in my view. Bloggers would call it motivation. The media call it sales.
I call it appreciation for sharing for free.
ANDY

RST

« Reply #1510 on: April 24, 2021, 11:14:22 pm »

..well part of the point of joining forums for me is to escape the instant gratification 'isms of social media.  For that I respect Martins choices and it works fine as a forum.  However it's also frankly REDICULOUS only members logged-in can see pics.  I watched the forum for about 2 years thinking you were all miserable buggers/old farts just not taking any photos.  When I was in to cars I just used to bypass those clubs on principe and I'm not surprised if folk think the same here!

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1511 on: April 24, 2021, 11:16:31 pm »

I pay to host all my pictures so that isn't a problem to non members who follow my blogs, no log in required to view.
The cost to myself is not attributed to Mayhem as I post pictures in very many places and the cost of the hosting is the same whether I upload 1 picture or 1 million.

EDIT
I've used SmugMug hosting for well over a decade and even with VAT in recent years it's still under £1 per week. Never failed!

Surely non members are more inspired to join if they see something they are interested in? If they cannot see anything without logging in how will they join? Chicken egg chicken egg ......
ANDY

RST

« Reply #1512 on: April 24, 2021, 11:29:35 pm »

I pay to host all my pictures so that isn't a problem to non members who follow my blogs, no log in required to view.
The cost to myself is not attributed to Mayhem as I post pictures in very many places and the cost of the hosting is the same whether I upload 1 picture or 1 million.
...Absolutely, I know Andy.  Absoutely commendable for your postings -I think you got it right with your summary then link to smugmug.  It's a mission itself to take pics along the way either in motivation or ability.  The forum hosting pic function works fine for occasional pics and is one of the easiest I have come across to upload a pic to a forum to be honest.  But it is most misunderstood.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1513 on: April 24, 2021, 11:37:15 pm »

In my experience the best management of editing is for editing to remain open up until the time a reply is made. Certainly 30 mins is out of date IMHO. Facebook allows editing indefinitely of your material.
Screen grabbing posts on Facebook is a big thing these days especially when prominent people are bad mouthing you. I have a stack of embarrassing material on a number of them. I'm tagged as HWSNBN  {-)

Andy
one point for locking editing after a set time is. On the Finnjetweb forum now long gone. There was a poster who feel out with the owner of that forum. That forum had no time limit on editing. On evening most probly the early hours. He deleted every single post he made. This ment every thred topic lost continuity and screw that forum up.
By having a time limit it protects the forum and the content for all users. Lets say there was no editing lock. You could delete your 4600+ post, not to you would . This forum look bad.
John

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #1514 on: April 24, 2021, 11:40:52 pm »

EDIT
I've used SmugMug hosting for well over a decade and even with VAT in recent years it's still under £1 per week. Never failed!

Surely non members are more inspired to join if they see something they are interested in? If they cannot see anything without logging in how will they join? Chicken egg chicken egg ......

Couple of Problems with this are :-.

1. Should anything happen and the payments are no longer made then the pictures you have linked to various posts Disappear and leave a blank box, such has when one of the free sites started charging and blocked links.

2.Should you fall out with the site ( And yes it has happened on a few occasion's ) you could remove the links from the Photo provider by renaming the album, and then same as above.

In regards time limits Similar to What Cos918 has said but also heated discussions have taken place , posts have been made and then deleted, making the thread disjointed.  Maybe the 30 mins could be increased to an hour maybe ?. 

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1515 on: April 24, 2021, 11:43:22 pm »

I will repeat that I advocate editing up until a reply to thread is made and I'm not advocating suggesting a timeless option. There is no logic to editing after a reply as a reply resets the status quo.

I hereby swear I will never remove hosted photos intentionally as long as I shall be sound of mind and above ground.  :kiss:

I think there must be over 10,000 photos by now  %%
ANDY

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1516 on: April 25, 2021, 12:04:15 am »

The main advantage of limited time editing of posts is to make the poster think carefully before hitting the post button. Far too often in the past, before editing time was restricted, people made controversial statements, or even false allegations against another member, which inevitably started arguments, they then went back and deleted or altered their post, claiming that they never made such statements. I believe that the current time limit on editing is quite adequate.

Peter.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1517 on: April 25, 2021, 12:09:00 am »

Fair point Peter but it's not the best situation for bloggers of whom there are far too few.
Time enough is spent without spending your life composing a post off forum to be sure it's error free.
Up until there is a reply to thread what is the point of curtailing editing?
There are no trouble makers lately so maybe ease up?
ANDY

RST

« Reply #1518 on: April 25, 2021, 12:22:00 am »

The main advantage of limited time editing of posts is to make the poster think carefully before hitting the post button. Far too often in the past, before editing time was restricted, people made controversial statements, or even false allegations against another member, which inevitably started arguments, they then went back and deleted or altered their post, claiming that they never made such statements. I believe that the current time limit on editing is quite adequate.

Peter.
Peter this is just what forum life is like. Can we not be so timid about it -it goes back to maybe  2 or 3 members who seem to have moved on left a lagacy since?  The 30min time limit is frankly nonsense and off-putting for posts.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1519 on: April 25, 2021, 12:25:39 am »

They were finally banned to the relief of the majority to put it bluntly. No one has asked after them and everyone knows who they were.
If this doesn't fit I'm happy for the post to be removed.
ANDY

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1520 on: April 25, 2021, 12:38:33 am »

No arguments there Andy, leave it with me.

Peter.

RST

« Reply #1521 on: May 01, 2021, 01:31:18 am »

test

RST

« Reply #1522 on: May 01, 2021, 01:32:18 am »

test
Can I reply without being blocked? -test

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1523 on: May 08, 2021, 04:50:48 pm »

No arguments there Andy, leave it with me.

Peter.
No change Peter? I've just found a forum that has no editing time limit and many other advantages. They don't seem to have any problems working that way.
ANDY

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1524 on: May 10, 2021, 09:46:48 pm »

Editor time limited extended to 2 hours.

( There is a  bitter history to this subject ... we rather not go there again, but 'Hey!' All things are up for discussion! )  🙂
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.