Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Super custom 61 problems running  (Read 4016 times)

Newbie boater

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Super custom 61 problems running
« on: April 20, 2014, 01:53:10 pm »

Hi I'm new to the forum and in need of some help, I have the super custom 61 engine in my boat and I can't get it to run unless I pour fuel directly into the carb, I cleaned out the carb and still does the same it starts up and won't run off the fuel in the tank it just dies, any help is greatly appreciated cheers

Den W

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Super custom 61 problems running
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 02:30:47 pm »

Hi .firstly,   have you checked to see if your tanks vent is clear..2. check the clunk in the tank to make sure it is still attached.  3, check to make sure your fuel line is clear to the carb, 3,try the inlet to the carb by putting a tube on the inlet nipple and blowing into it.if no fuel gets to carb try unscrewing the large needle ( top end needle ),gently, then try unscrewing the low end needle to make sure that is clear .a starting point for your needle setting are approx. 21/2 turns on the low end ...2 turns out on the top end ..these are starting points only as each setup is slightly different and dependant on what your tuned pipe length is  ( if used),you may need to run on pressure from your pipe as well  by running a tube from Exhaust to fuel tank..hope this helps ..I,m sure someone else will come along and throw their twopennyworth in..good luck  :-))  DenW "OMRA"  No.3
1 Small Part of  "OMRA,s" Great Team

Leaky Bottom

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 03:31:33 pm »

Is the center line of the tank more or less inline with the main needle,it does'nt want to be to far below or it won't pull the fuel uphill
"Leave me alone I know what I'm doing"

Newbie boater

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 03:39:05 pm »

Cheers for the replies the tank is brand new I've blown down the vacuum hose and fuel doesn't seem to go anywhere ie into the carb nipple, my tank is lower than the carb so I'll sort that and try again cheers

Leaky Bottom

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 03:46:36 pm »

It might seem daft but you have got the carb pipe connected to the clunk pipe and not to the breather pipe
"Leave me alone I know what I'm doing"

Newbie boater

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 04:22:13 pm »

Yeah it's connected up correctly I think I found the problem though the low speed needle was in too far even a at 2 and a 1/2 turns out now I can blow through the carb freely so I'll try that and let you know! :-))

Newbie boater

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 06:46:24 pm »

Right it started straight off the tank  :D next problem is it revs it's nuts off no matter where the throttle is then dies down a little and can be controlled a bit until it cuts out all together,so I think there must be an air leak, I feel that I'm making very slow progress I've just got to get it to idle now and not scream it's nuts off everytime it starts up. The fun of nitro lol %)

Den W

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 06:53:12 pm »

Unscrew bottom end needle 1 complete turn first, start the engine  then unscrew top end 1 complete turn , should be rich then.now you can start to screw them in a notch at a time ..try it.it takes time but you will get there

Newbie boater

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 08:12:42 pm »

Ok thanks but when the low speed needle is too far in it won't start it had to be about 4 turns out, does that sound about right or do you think that the carb is ready for the bin ? Lol. Has anyone on here got any knowledge on these engines as in are they any good ? Or are they just the cheap rubbish ? Cheers

Den W

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 06:58:51 am »

As I said ,no two engines are the same.especially the lower end market ones,because you have to turn the needle out so far is proof of this ,(does.nt mean its knackered ) just stay with it and make sure you are able to gently lock the low and top end needles to prevent them from unscrewing or screwing in .if you look on some model boat racing  sights you will see there are a lot of these engines being used, I guess because of their cost ,but they can be competitive if treated correctly..hope this helps ...........DenW  "OMRA" No. 3

Newbie boater

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 12:24:28 pm »

Ok cheers I'll keep trying  :-))

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 09:08:38 pm »

Right it started straight off the tank  :D next problem is it revs it's nuts off no matter where the throttle is then dies down a little and can be controlled a bit until it cuts out all together,so I think there must be an air leak, I feel that I'm making very slow progress I've just got to get it to idle now and not scream it's nuts off everytime it starts up. The fun of nitro lol %)

Have you had any luck with this??
An engine that revs it's nuts off on idle or low throttle is probably running way too lean, too little fuel, or as you suggested perhaps an air leak between the carb and it's housing. My SC46 engine has an O ring seal on the body of the carb.  Have you checked that your carb has this seal and that it is indeed compressed to give an air tight seal?

Craig
Forget all insults, always remember compliments.

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 09:13:47 pm »

I forgot to say......

If you are still struggling, could you perhaps upload a photo of your installation?
That might reveal aspects that might not otherwise be apparent in terms of potential help here.

Craig :-)
Forget all insults, always remember compliments.

Newbie boater

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 10:48:38 am »

Hi Craig thanks for the reply :-)) not ran it since it revved up not had chance as been busy with work, yeah the o ring is there when I previously took the carb out someone had put sealant round it so I cleaned it all up and re fitted it, it felt ok but I'm going to try another seal to make sure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 21 queries.