The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Pleasure boats, Sports, Race, Power and Leisure Boats:

Gannet 4stroke ic marine 15cc engine

(1/9) > >>

Dave J:
I have been running the IC Gannet engine in a launch but I have been unable to obtain any information on a the engine settings. The boat only runs for a couple of minutes and then shuts down.
The engine has a seperate Amal float chamber.
Where should the float chamber be in relation to the carb? At the moment it is below the carb.
Should the main fuel tank be above the carb?
How often does the oil container on the front of the engine crankcase need to be filled?
The engine and boat are at least 40 years old. 

BrianB6:
Top of fuel level (tank or float chamber) should be 1/2" 12 mm. below Jet level of Carby.
The motor should be able to suck up the fuel from about 2" below the Jet level so the position is not that critical but the closer the level to 1/2" the better.
If you are using a float chamber, the lowest level in the tank should be above the float chamber so that it can drain in by gravity.
Attachment is from N & M's Instruction manual.
Almost full manual avalailable if you P.M. me.   Unfortunatly it has been sitting in a damp shed for several years and the first 2 and last pages are almost unreadable.

Dave J:
Thank you for the reply, When I got the Launch the Float chamber was loose I had positioned it back in its original position, but was unsure why it had been taken off. The original position was about 1/2" below the carb inlet which corresponds to your N & M Instruction manual.(Is this manual a Gannet Instruction Manual?) I had found Engine description information sheets but nothing about the setting up running instructions. The needle valve is about 1/4 of a turn open and I need to keep the revs up when I put it into the water, when I try to adjust the tick over it stalls, I don't seem able to get the balance correct.

BrianB6:
N&M are Nurthen and Muirhead, the two engineers who built the engines.   My father bought ours directly from them.
There should be a line scribed on the top of the needle valve which was the original mark put on after they set up each engine.   Not more than 1 turn open and not more than 25 degrees either way from the mark.
The starting ignition setting is with the lever vertical but may need to be slightly advanced for running under load.   The position can only be found by experience.
Oil is sufficient for about 10 - 15 minutes running.
In the old days one needed to add upper cylinder lubricant (Reddex) to the mix but it is unavailable now.   Remember it was designed for leaded fuel so may need premium petrol now.

BrianB6:
Hi Dave
I would be interested to see a picture of your boat.
My father built a couple including Tuk Tuk, named after the sounds our baby daughter made!
I still have the hull with the engine but the rest seems to have gone unfortunatly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version