Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Robbe Najade rescue  (Read 12647 times)

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Robbe Najade rescue
« on: April 27, 2014, 11:26:32 pm »

I picked up a Najade off Ebay this weekend. Unfortunately when it turned up it was in a lot worse condition than the pictures suggested. The previous owner has extended the rear but made a very poor job of it. Filler all over the place and very poor attempt at glass fibre. For some inexplicable reason the previous owner replaced the twin rudder arrangement with a single one which was mounted by cutting away the mounts and replacing it with a piece of styrene literally stuck on with a lump filler. I remounted the motor and added a brushless FSD 3674 watercooled motor. Unfortunately when I tested it it leaked like a sieve and handled very poorly. Also the water cooling didn't work at all.

I've pulled off the rear deck extension so I can rebuild properly and sanded the whole thing down. I've also removed the rudder "mount" ready to reinstate the original configuration.

me3

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Robbe Najade rescue
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 07:02:54 pm »

wow, that is a mess! Good for you buying it though, very nice boats, the Najades. I too have one. Performance may be partly down to the prop. I am not expert on props etc. (I am sure someone will correct me if I am!). On my Najade I have a plastic hydro prop, 3 blader. They come with 2 bladed hydro props when bought new. With brushless power most of the hull is out of the water so I think brass props like that don't like coming out the water. Best of luck with the model!
I never understand why people extend the platforms, sunseeker made a manhattan 46, which just had a shorter platform than the 48.
Cheers Reece :}

Did it come with a superstructure?

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 07:38:42 pm »

Hey, regarding the prop I had the very same one on the last Najade and it worked brilliantly. The strange thing about the boat is that some of the bits like the wooden flooring is really well done but the paint and the structural stuff is bobbins.

I've ordered some some replacement robbe rudders to return her to the original configuration. I was considering using a pair of kehrer 28mm jets but the top has been attached far to well!

A saving grace of this boat is it came with a complete new set of glazing so I can add cabin lights! Yes it did come with the top superstructure and most of the railing uprights.

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 08:11:01 pm »

Been putting in a bit of work today on this, I've installs the new rudders, added a brace across them (the structure that is in the original kit was cut away by the previous owner). I've also added a new water pickup pipe and exit. Ive properly attched the trim tabs too. Finally I've been trying to tidy up the finish, sand down the rough bits on the back etc..

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 08:11:43 pm »

Been working hard on the najade today, hopefully she'll be ready for preliminary  sea trials on Sunday.
First order of business was adding the panels on the back quarter of the superstructure. I've been using super glue and acceleration spray. This lets you use superglue as really tough filler. Much better for gap filling that messing about with miliput. The gaps between the panels and superstructure have been filled and sanded flat:

The next part was a much bigger job that it looks. I needed to replace the original scratched glass with a fresh set that had came with the boat. Unfortunately when I tried removing it it was completely stuck to the bottom of the removable top. I had to cut away some of the plastic at the bottom and take the glass away in one piece. Then I had to rebuild the top using plasticard as the previous owner had made a hash of cutting it out and had cut to much away so the glass didn't fit properly. This was further complicated by the fact I had to make it fit perfectly as I couldn't add any filer when the glass had been fitted.

Finally I blended the wing bit onto the superstructure using the superglue filler technique  and then sanded using 240 grit paper so it's now super smooth!

Tomorrow I'll be cutting out the portholes and installing the crazy expensive ones I bought from Germany!

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 09:59:21 pm »

Cheers horses! Been beavering away to get her ready for some sea trials tomorrow. I've installed the surrounds for the new portholes (the plexiglass and Chrome bits will be added after the hulls painted). I've also added a skylight. Next order of business was sealing the hole on the rear platform. I used a thick piece of styrene sanded down for the deck. Then filed the gaps with super glue and miliput where the gap was too big. The last thing was to put in battey retainers and connect the water cooling. Unfortunately whilst testing the water cooling system for leaks I found out the was a rather a large one in the cooling jacket of the brushless motor. I think thisusy have been one source of the leaking (and explains why the water cooling wasn't working). I was able to reseal and it's all good.

Test fitting glass inserts:

Rear deck:

The gap:

Sealed

Test fitting the decking:

Not quite the basket case I started with!

rocket ron

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 11:14:14 am »

Hi TOM
Any more news on the progress of the Najade? I don't know if it's me but all of the photos on both this topic and the Moonraker have dissappeared and an advert for increasing my bandwidth as appeared.
I also own a Moonraker which is in immaculate condition, only been in the water once, though somewhat dirty and dusty following a recent house move. I will be following  your threads as I would be keen to make some mechanical/electric upgrades.
Good Luck
rocket ron :-))

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 04:33:30 pm »

Hey Ron, I think the hiccup with the pictures is due to too much bandwidth being use in my photobucket account, happens occasionally! Regarding the Najade I've been busy with other projects recently but I'm going to try and get some paint on her soon. I need to get the lighting worked out too but this can come after. I've found a company for chromeing the railings etc his waiting for a quote! Would love to see some pics of your moonraker, did you build or buy it?

NoNuFink

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 07:15:03 pm »

I don't know if it's me but all of the photos on both this topic and the Moonraker have dissappeared and an advert for increasing my bandwidth as appeared.

Ditto   >:-o

NNF

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 01:38:55 pm »

All sorted now  :-)

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 02:32:00 pm »

Hey folks, been cracking on with this; done a lot of work on the  railing. So much soldering...

Railings:

rocket ron

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 08:12:35 pm »

Hi TOM
Have you any news/progress on the Najade, I have just returned from a weeks holiday with my 6 grandchildren.
I hope to get into opening the boxes from our move,do you still want me to looks for the plans for the Moonraker

RON :-)

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 09:02:10 pm »

Hey Ron, I've managed to stop the water ingress. Mechanically she's sorted. Next I need to decide what I'm doing with the lighting. Then paint!

rocket ron

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 07:33:44 pm »

Hi TOM
I'm guessing your a busy man with your models, but I have to ask whether you have made any progress with the Najade
I unfortunately am not so lucky I hope to run power to my workshop before the end of September

thanks

RON

Davenotdone

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 08:19:44 pm »

Nice re-build Tom. :-))   Quick question, how do you make your railings?  They look neat and tidy, whats your secret????
                            Regards, Dave.

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 10:10:29 pm »

Hey Ron, I've made progress indeed. Been tidying up the internal and have spent a small fortune on fittings for her! I'm going to be installing the lighting when I get back off my holidays and hopefully getting some paint on.

No real secret with the railings, use croc clips to hold them and plenty of flux at the joint. I also pinned one side but this hasn't really made them easier to build or stronger so the other side are solder alone.

I also got some of the old lead solder which I think works better than then modern stuff.

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 07:29:24 pm »

Finally had her back from the paint shop. I'm pretty pleased with the result! This has allowed me to attach the portholes and skylight l.

I've ordered some alclad paints so hopefully I'll have the railings done this weekend!

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 08:01:50 pm »

Quote from: fvasileios;30174662
Here is my najade Lydia...
when I sailed her next to my friend's princess Gianna it looked smaller...it's the same model but the color makes the difference...
that's why I want my next like yours or princess Gianna....😁

Bill...

Your Lydia looks fantastic, I really like the scheme! I might try something similar on my other najade I've got to build.

Made some progress on her, painted all the railings and grab rails, used alclad chrome. Worked ok but I haven't quite mastered it.  I've added the fenders, fly bridge fittings, controls etc and I've added the bollards.

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 08:42:57 pm »

Today I fitted all the lighting and the glazing for the flybridge. I've ordered her a flag, the material for the seating covers and finally some mirror backing for the rear patio door type things.

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 08:18:57 pm »

A little najade update, nearly done now, added the lighting and have made a start on making the cushions on the seats, top deck done. Also done the steps and rear decking. Got a red ensign on the way, just need a proper cut out name to go on the back and she's almost done!

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 07:09:51 am »

The rear upholstery is now completed.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 08:24:49 am »

Tom....have you used some form of chemical silver/steel surfacing to all of the brass/copper hand rails?

I think the surfacing looks top class...... :-)) .... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2014, 09:18:37 am »

Hey Derek, thanks to the kind words. I've used the alclad 2 paints, specifically the gloss black flowed by chrome followed by Aqua gloss laquer

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
  • Keeper of the Sun Dried Tomato
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2015, 03:34:02 am »

VERY nice save/build here! Looks Great!

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2015, 10:25:46 pm »

Hey xrad, thanks for the kind words! Since posting that I've done some more work on her, mirror effect on the rear windows and added chrome effect frame effect on the main cabin windows.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 23 queries.