Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Postage in Ebay  (Read 7057 times)

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos
Postage in Ebay
« on: April 29, 2014, 09:28:18 am »

Hi,

I noticed whilst searching through Ebay that most of the sales are Collection only: Free or Postage not specified.

Is this the new trend or are sellers not interested in selling?

Regards

wicker

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Postage in Ebay
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 09:38:35 am »

I think sellers cannot take the time to parcel up and post or make it ready for courier.  They would possibly get a better price is they did parcel it.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 10:38:19 am »

Pretty well all my items on ebay State Postage free, however the postage charge is accounted for within the starting price.
There are a number of reasons why this is so,
1. Buyers seem to think that Sellers are personally responsible for the charges The RM charge and rate low the feed back , I had items charged at 20p for postage and still got down rated. By offering so called free postage Buyers are not allowed to rate that criteria.
2. Ebay a few month back started to charge 10% on postage charges so it made no diff if you separated your post charges , this was done as some sellers were charging say £3.00 for a £ 1.50 postage cost. Only diff now is where as the starting price may have been £0.99 + £3.00 postage the Start price will now be £4.20 with free post !!, Again the buyers pay more.
Ebay is no longer a friendly place in general.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 12:22:02 pm »

as I am a regular buyer from E Bay, I am on the whole very satisfied with the amount most people charge for postage fees.We forget sometimes,that the seller has to supply packaging material,no matter how little, even an envelope costs.The seller also has to take it to the post office or post box which may be some considerable distance away,thus incurring further costs. As with all things there are some rip off merchants,but the postage costs are stated so if you do not like them dont bid!
I also find with most sellers if you message them, you can usually arrange something between yourselves,where they will indeed send it.
Mick F

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 12:22:45 pm »

Agreed Longbuild

I posted a kit to cornwall, i thought a price of £ 25.00 for postage was reasonable and not at all off putting.....not including my time or parcel tape, bubble wrap or parcel paper, it came to £ 24.70.....then ebay took their cut as well as paypal in real terms a fair postage cost would have been £ 35.00

Who would baulk at that ????!!!....most sadly....not me ive always appreciated people that are prepared to post.

Before bidding i usually contact the seller about postage, or organising a courier....they do seem keen as there is no seller responsibility and cant be chastised through ebay

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 01:06:17 pm »

Hi,

I noticed whilst searching through Ebay that most of the sales are Collection only: Free or Postage not specified.

Is this the new trend or are sellers not interested in selling?

Regards

If you are talking about boat models in particular, then the reason is simple: Most boat models have quite fragile parts, especially the upperworks, but are also quite heavy. It's quite tricky to package them to survive post/courier handling, and if it arrives damaged you can bet the buyer will go for your throat. So not surprisingly most sellers leave it up to the buyer to arrange transport - which I think is fair enough.

If you are talking ebay generally, then I disagree. Most items I see have postage shown or included.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 01:43:53 pm »

If you are talking about boat models in particular, then the reason is simple: Most boat models have quite fragile parts, especially the upperworks, but are also quite heavy. It's quite tricky to package them to survive post/courier handling, and if it arrives damaged you can bet the buyer will go for your throat. So not surprisingly most sellers leave it up to the buyer to arrange transport - which I think is fair enough.

If you are talking ebay generally, then I disagree. Most items I see have postage shown or included.

As regards sellers leaveing it up to the buyer to arrange transport, Most buyers will refuse that, as if they are collected by the buyers courier and paid using paypal then there is no sellers protection against Item not recieved, same as collection, if paid cash its fine but if the buyer pays , again with PP then they leave themselves open to Item not recieved and ebay will not help, the only times they have refunded such a claim is when it gets reported in the press.
As before , Ebay is a minfield.

Also you can put Cash on collection only etc, but that means nothing, as if you do not accept Paypal Your account can recieve a strike as a Non Performing Seller..

wicker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 01:52:29 pm »

I paid £30 to take 2 unbuilt models from Birmingham to Wick--27hour from pick-up to delivery

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 02:05:48 pm »

Thats fine charlie and it is really cheap,especially by hermes if they are under 1200, the kit was an adolph bermophl and 2 packages as partially built

:-))

wicker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 02:14:23 pm »

I use AJG Parcel of Inverness what a brilliant service they give

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 06:51:52 pm »

Its not about costs.
Since ebay changed the feedback rules there was a lot of items "not received" and paypal refunded the cost so some people got their goods for nothing.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 08:36:54 pm »

Its not about costs.
Since ebay changed the feedback rules there was a lot of items "not received" and paypal refunded the cost so some people got their goods for nothing.

Bob
Not really sure it has anything to do with feedback, Ebay opened the flood gates for "Items not received " with their Stupid Guarantee, For me its costs..  Eg Postage actually costs £1.00, ebay take 10% of that postage charge off me so in affect I am paying for postage, hence I put Postage upto £1.15  to cover the charge, and then just put a total price as Free Post, Something I do Not need to do when selling anything on Mayhem.

It's all good fun.. %)

gwa84the2nd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 11:06:18 pm »

the eBay postage changes have personally stung me on more then one auction. they have as you say opened the gates to scammers i sent a parcel with multiple items in to germany the cost of items adding up to the region of 300 or so GB the buyer simply waited for them to arrive and stated that they hadn't i couldn't prove he had as the stupid new hand held computers that you sign for things on are illegible he just stated he hadnt signed for it eBay refunded and removed the amount from my paypall account as such i wont sell on eBay anymore it's been ruind.  :((

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 12:14:17 am »

To be fair, before the changes there were a lot of scammers 'selling' but not delivering. The situation has now been pushed more the other way round, and it's much harder work making money by scamming from the buying end, so I'd expect less problems.

Worrying though that ebay won't accept a carrier's delivery confirmation. If they don't get a legible name and signature on delivery surely the carrier should be paying for the 'loss'.

gwa84the2nd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 12:21:04 am »

ye i thought that but the Carrier deems the parcel delivered as a signature even a squiggly line on a hand held pad counts apparently

inertia

Businessman of the year?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 12:07:50 pm »

I've just taken delivery of two tubes of pencil leads which I bought from a seller on E-Bay for 99p (total, not each), incl free postage. I was a little surprised therefore at being asked by Postman Pat to sign for these, and when I looked at the envelope I found that the sender had paid £1.84 for the postage. Add to that the cost of the envelope and the actual leads and he's got a thumping great big negative margin. He will, of course, get some excellent feedback!

Why can't all suppliers be like this?   %)

Dave M

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Businessman of the year?
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2015, 12:24:13 pm »

I bough a tripod of fleabay recently.... some of the best ( & over the top ) bubble wrapping  I've ever seen.
The Post Office could have thrown it out of a plane without a parachute and it would still have arrived undamaged!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Businessman of the year?
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 12:43:23 pm »

I can of course go the opposite way. On 29th June I ordered some parts from Germany and paid with Paypal. This was a private contact not a dealer/shop. On monday I sent an email to say I had not received my package (it can sometimes take 4 weeks to get stuff over here in Spain)

I got an email back saying he had not posted my order as he had not received the payment. The doofus had not checked his paypal account  to see if the payment had been transferred. We had agreed paypal and he was sat waiting for a cheque. I guess something was lost in translation! So they are posted now, maybe sometime in the next week to a month I will receive my parts!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Businessman Banking of the year?
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2015, 12:31:55 am »

The world of instant $ transfers?

Needed to purchase a steam bit from a mate of GAZOU....a well known manufacturer [ANTON = Fabrice Betrange], but he would only accept telegraphic transfer of FF to his trading account

Day 1 = Friday - I withdraw AUD $225.00 from my financial institution in Wollongong....they spool this payment for transfer at 0001 hours Saturday morning it is in the Australian International division of AMEX in Sydney

Day 4 = Monday - [AMEX International Sydney does not work on weekends {-)] receives the transfer from Friday and spools it up to send to the French division of AMEX international at 0001 hours on Tuesday morning

Day 6 = Tuesday - French division of AMEX international receives the transfer from Tuesday and spools it up to send to the French division The French Banks head office in Paris at 0001 hours on Wednesday morning

Day 7 = Wednesday - the French Bank branch where ANTON has his account receives the transfer and spools it up to send to the account of ANTON at 0001 hours on Thursday morning

Day 8, = Thursday - Fabrice e-mails to confirm FF received that day, but cannot be posted next day as it was the National Bakers Picnic day on Friday O0......so will be posted on Monday 
Yes eleven days after the funds has left my account

NB - this had nothing to do with ANTON, just the worlds financial institutions >>:-( getting interest on funds in 24 hour blocks.... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2015, 09:02:29 am »

Hi,

Yep I know the hassles.  Try  sending money to Belgium, for some reason the seller on a Belgian site only had cash or bank transfer.

So I asked for his bank details and typed them into my bank's online tranfer form. No go as it could not find such a bank.

Ok so ring my bank's help line. A week later I was advised that I would have to send it to the main branch bank in Belgium and request it was then re transferred to the sub branch. I was also told that it might cost a bit.

Again attemps to use the online form failed, so back to the help line. Two people and myself on the phone for an hour finally convinced the online form to accept the details.

I pressed the send button and got an error message stating that as I was under the minimum limit the transfer was refused.

I the remembered a good friend of mine lives in Ostend so a quick email to him and he payed the seller in cash and I sent the money via PayPal to Ostend.

Regards

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2015, 10:43:44 am »

The vast majority of sellers on e-bay seem to think the burden of postage costs lays with the buyer, ie. if he want's to buy the item he should pay the postage, why should this be surely the postage costs is part of the transaction and should be shared, when I sell items on e-bay I keep the postage low and very often end up paying more than I stated I consider this as my part of the deal, a lot of sellers even try to screw a bit more out of the buyer in a high postage charge, I give these sellers a miss even if I may want to buy the item. >>:-( 

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2015, 11:19:11 am »

There was a time on ebay when an item could be a £1 but the postal charge was £10 %% this was because ebay did not take a cut of the postal charge. So the dealers sold low but charged high for the delivery, cheating ebay out of their percentage. Then ebay got wise!

Now they offer to deliver to post office, tesco,asda etc as a free service, but to do that if you opt for a mail delivery ebay insist that has to be offered free as well.

Of course nothing in life is free (except the air you breathe) so the sellers just increase the selling price. Have you noticed the plethora of 'buy it now' pricing rather than auctions since the courier to pick up points were introduced? its no co-incidence.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2015, 12:05:35 pm »

I sell lots of things on Ebay - there was a huge jump in the prices charged by Royal Mail about 2 years ago.  I used to ship all over the world but the prices jumped up ridiculously (eg: medium sized Lego set to Australia used to be about £15 - it jumped to almost £50)

I now only ship small items (under 2 kg) by post and everything else I offer as collect only and cash on collection. No Paypal fees and no Ebay taking a slice of the postage too.

There's also a huge shift in the Ebay client-base.

They used to be sensible people buying used things from each other - now it's idiots who 'buy to try' and then mess about with returns and they give -ve feedback if the item isn't delivered within 24 hrs of the auction ending.

It's all too much hassle.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2015, 03:58:38 pm »

The vast majority of sellers on e-bay seem to think the burden of postage costs lays with the buyer, ie. if he want's to buy the item he should pay the postage, why should this be surely the postage costs is part of the transaction and should be shared, when I sell items on e-bay I keep the postage low and very often end up paying more than I stated I consider this as my part of the deal, a lot of sellers even try to screw a bit more out of the buyer in a high postage charge, I give these sellers a miss even if I may want to buy the item. >>:-(

Uh No, Postage is all the buyers cost, Do you think a normal shop splits the postage, I think not and if they do more fool them. You will find now that the majority of sellers offer Free !! postage of course its included in the price but you do not no what that is accept if its on a gold stamp or normal postage stamps where you can work it out, but as it is listed as free postage you can not complain.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2015, 04:02:24 pm »

There was a time on ebay when an item could be a £1 but the postal charge was £10 %% this was because ebay did not take a cut of the postal charge. So the dealers sold low but charged high for the delivery, cheating ebay out of their percentage. Then ebay got wise!

Now they offer to deliver to post office, tesco,asda etc as a free service, but to do that if you opt for a mail delivery ebay insist that has to be offered free as well.

Of course nothing in life is free (except the air you breathe) so the sellers just increase the selling price. Have you noticed the plethora of 'buy it now' pricing rather than auctions since the courier to pick up points were introduced? its no co-incidence.

All mine are normally buy it now, not because of what you say but because I can list the item for 30 days instead of 7 or ten days as an auction.. I do not use the Global posting farce system, Argos or any other service apart from good old Royal Mail..Also only sell in the UK as selling abroad is just too much hassle unless agreed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.