Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: HMS Illustrious 87  (Read 150544 times)

Robbie11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: HMS Illustrious 87
« Reply #175 on: October 24, 2015, 06:19:04 pm »

Stunning work! Watching this one with great interest!

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
    • My build of HMS Illustrious 87 1939-1942
« Reply #176 on: October 24, 2015, 10:30:27 pm »

Thank Robbie, hope you enjoy the build.  Please if you see something that will help me in my build then please chip in as this is only my firth build and my first scratch build.   :-))

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #177 on: October 24, 2015, 11:14:56 pm »

Looks great Paul.

How's the weight?

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #178 on: October 30, 2015, 11:57:21 pm »

Hi Sandy,
the weight is very light at the moment and the only weight is at the stern which has the rudder and props.
Just back from Exeter see my dad on his 90th birthday and at his presentation of his medal from the French government of the Legion of Honour.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #179 on: October 31, 2015, 01:48:44 am »

Hullo Paul.........a little off track %)

Your must be very proud for your Dad & his presentation of his medal from the French government of the Legion of Honour :-))...Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #180 on: October 31, 2015, 12:16:59 pm »

Yes Derek,  I am very proud of what my dad has achieved.  Join in 1944 landed at Normandy went through WW2 even in operation Market Garden.  at the end of the war signed on and server till 1968 and then went on with extended service till 1972.

As I am the eldest grand child I have received all the medals for my dads father, and his other 4 brothers, one of which was killed in 1944 in Italy.  My Dad is the last of the brothers as they have all passed on.  He was 90 last Tuesday.   So I have now a large frame with the medals, service details and cap badges along with photos for each of them.  So will have the full set to pass on to the next generation along with my own, so they will be remembered and the medals not sold off.   

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #181 on: November 02, 2015, 09:19:19 pm »

Excellent news Paul, both for your Father's presentation, and also being able to display your relative's medals and regimantal apparel. I hope you have them insured so that they can always be replaced should some cretin think of stealing them for a quick earner.

I just cannot imagine what those folks went through for us back all those years ago.
Pond weed is your enemy

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #182 on: November 04, 2015, 09:05:53 pm »

Can any one help with a problem I have in trying to work out the scale of a drawing which is not show.  I have the actual measurement of the original part and have it scaled to 1/96.

Example. Length of the part in 1/96 scale 1/8 = 12 inches.  Length 20.78in.  There fore the real length is 166ft 24 inch

The drawing the same part is Length 35.60 in and is far to big.  How do I work out the scale so that I can either scale up or down the drawing to 1/96.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #183 on: November 04, 2015, 09:55:25 pm »

The drawing you have is 1:56.   166.24ft (1994.88 inches) divided by 35.6 gives 56.03.

To get to 1:96 from 1:56 multiply all measurements by .58

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

steve pickstock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #184 on: November 05, 2015, 07:16:28 am »

If you have Microsoft office - you can always set up a spread sheet to do the conversion. I am pants at sums, but reasonably adroit at Xcel. I set it up with one cell b picking the data from cell a - =sum(aX*.58) X being the number of the cell, and .58 being the appropriate conversion.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #185 on: November 05, 2015, 10:52:25 am »

other spreadsheets are available  :}
Don't Assume Check

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #186 on: November 06, 2015, 02:57:47 pm »

Thanks guys for the information and it confirmed what I was thinking but could not get my head around the fact that a larger drawing then the propose size required would work  taking the measurements and multiplying them with a figure would create a small size.   %% 

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #187 on: May 02, 2016, 08:59:21 pm »

Work has restarted on the build, as the garage is now clear of the camping trailer.  Working on the second set of guns and working out where the open decks need to be cut.  Hull is fully planked and rubbed down.  The center prop has been shaped and the rudder has been fitted. Photos to follow.The last photo shows the three stages of the turret construction once the main section of the turret has been bonded and filed down. The middle turret has the the top bonded and the right hand photos shows the side and base skins in position.

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #188 on: May 03, 2016, 09:11:42 am »

Great to see this back on the go, excellent topic, cant wait to see more pics :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #189 on: May 03, 2016, 09:22:20 pm »

Totally agree. Great to see you back and whittling again. What horrible shapes those turrets are to have to shape, but the last one looks very crisp.

Its like a new series of Vikings has begun seeing you sart your new season of modelling Paul :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #190 on: May 03, 2016, 11:39:16 pm »

Thanks guys, as this is a long project I intend to take my time and do a very good job in the build and pay attention to the detail of the ship.  The second group of gun turrets will be much crisper then the first set as I practice the method to make them.  The detail will be better I hope.  I am now working out how to seal the spoon decks and fill them in so that they match the hull ready for the fiber matting and gel to seal the hull. 

The deck cut outs also need to be drawn onto the hull and cut before the fiber matting is laid.  Also have to cut the supports for the forward search lights from 1.5 mill ply.  So a lot to get on with for the next few weeks.
[size=78%]   [/size]

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #191 on: May 04, 2016, 08:34:43 am »

Hi Paul,

Looks great. I'd love to see it on the water.

As a matter of interest, and I may have missed a post, how do you get do the barrel elevation on the turrets?

Ardrossan? I seem to be spending my life in Ardrossan these days waiting for, and sailing on, the Caley Isles and now the good old Isle of Arran fixing their IT equipment. Back down there today to try, once more, to fix the IoA master's PC which suffered, em, 'storm damage'.

All the best
Sandy

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #192 on: May 04, 2016, 04:26:10 pm »

Hi Sandy if you go back to page three and four of this post you will see the contraction of the turrets when I made the first trial batch of 8. The elevation was first on each barrel then I was informed that they worked as a pair so made the adjustment with a 10 mm knitting needle and a jug to make the opening for each barrel.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #193 on: May 07, 2016, 03:01:15 pm »

Did a bit more work on the forward search light platforms made some paper templates to work out the shape.  Then transferred the template to a bit of bolster wood and rub them down to suit the curve of the ships bow.  Once a nice fit transferred to 1.5mm ply and reshaped to fit.  Then cut out as per the plans to show the strengthening cutouts and the taped in place as per the photo of the damage caused back in 1940.  Then made the trunking for the searchlight and the support cross sections.  one done one more to go.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #194 on: May 08, 2016, 12:05:10 am »

Goodness......that is a bit of complex plate work in the original build Paul %) 

Any idea what the low angular band of x 3 vertical spaced rivet sets was for? & why a composite build of what appears to be welded plate & riveted stringer?

Without going back over your thread, from her build in '37, I thought she would have been a fully riveted hull

The other interesting point is the image notes fragment hole damage in the lower bow hull area, however the fractures appear to be entry points and not exit holes  :D ??

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #195 on: May 08, 2016, 05:59:47 pm »

Blooming heck thats a pepperpot! It would be quite a nice detail touch to have the repair patches on the model telling a story. I hope the bow anchor flat wasn't occupied when she suffered that damage.
Pond weed is your enemy

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #196 on: May 09, 2016, 08:42:47 pm »

Started on making the life boat crane mounting which will sit under the life boat deck overhang.  So taking the measurements from the plans I worked out and made a paper cut model.  Then made a working model with plastic car.  With this template and then marked out the cut lines on to a section of balsa wood block.   Once all the angles where cut using grades of sand paper rubbed down to obtain the shape required.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #197 on: May 09, 2016, 08:55:48 pm »

I used the damage report to find close up photos of the ship in the 1940's.  Here is the damage profile of the damage caused.  here is the link to the damage file I found.
http://www.armouredcarriers.com/adm26783/2014/10/16/illustrious-january-10-damage-report-bomb-shell

If you look down the left side of the page you will see all the other links to the reports on damage.  Its a long read but lots of detail if you really want to know.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #198 on: May 09, 2016, 09:18:34 pm »

She was soaked in Irn Bru by the look of things as she was lucky not to lose her stern! Formidable got a slap as well I saw.

I like your crane mount. It looks odd stuck there at the moment, but whe the hull has been pierced and the crane is shipped it will look just right.
Pond weed is your enemy

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #199 on: May 25, 2016, 03:43:23 pm »

After some thought and thinking about the quarter deck and lower upper deck I have now made a start on working out how to line up the decks with the out side hull.  Earlier in this post I asked the question should I cut out the deck apertures before I lay the woven fiber matting along with coats of epoxy or should I leave and cut out later.  The answer came from Colin and I asked around and the information was the same.  So I made paper templates of the lower up deck and the quarter deck so that I could cut 1.5 mm decks to same shape and with finer adjustments sand papered them into position so that they lay flat.  Using the 10 cm (100 mm) rule I learnt I place the ship drawings onto the hull and lined them up with the  frames of my build.  This then gave me the position of each aperture and also the other decks along the hanger deck. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 22 queries.