Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Illustrious 87  (Read 150500 times)

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • My build of HMS Illustrious 87 1939-1942
Re: HMS Illustrious 87
« Reply #325 on: May 14, 2017, 04:18:51 pm »

full length shots of the bow to the stern and stern to the bos.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #326 on: May 14, 2017, 09:53:33 pm »

It goes to show how busy a capital ship is. I am pleased that you cured your paint adhesion issues, as you have a good deal of fitting out to do which would be scuppered if you had to keep returning to tuch the paintwork up in large areas.

Lovely progress Paul.
Pond weed is your enemy

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #327 on: May 16, 2017, 12:22:00 pm »

Question, for advice on what would be best for interior deck lighting?  I have a set up of 6 LED running through a 12v circuit board with three of the LED wired into the Island bridges.  The other three was for the two ship boat decks and one for the one of the small decks below the island.  I could get another board made up to cover the Forward and aft quarter decks and include the 6 fore and aft decks.  But was wondering if their was another way.  Advice and being pointed in the direction of other equipment that could be used.

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #328 on: May 16, 2017, 03:15:21 pm »

:-)) :-)) :-)) Very impressive and truly looking the part....beautiful hull lines and the gun turrets really come into their own as they are fitted.
Keep sending pictures, am very interested in your build.

E

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #329 on: May 16, 2017, 03:23:20 pm »

Hi Paul,  I always use Nano Chips for model lighting they are tiny light chips that are very bright and have very little impact on the battery, they come with a resister already wired you simply wire them to a battery via a switch if you wish, they come in various colours or warm or bright white, you can virtually wire as many as you like though out the boat in the same principle as a house ring main, check them out at
www.smallscalelights.co.uk  run by Jennifer Smith,  very good service and reasonably cheap, she dose LEDS of various sizes but I find the Nano Chips best because you can hide them in the boat and all you see is the light when switched on, she has got 12 volt ones, hope this helps.

Joe

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #330 on: May 16, 2017, 10:40:26 pm »

Wowsers, they are miniscule  :o You could install these in 1:700th scale models without taking much space up.
Pond weed is your enemy

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #331 on: May 23, 2017, 07:19:53 pm »

Made a little more work on the hull and painted all the decks dark green.  Also made up the port side forward deck and installed all the railing.  Just need to install the lighting when I have finished off the running gear setup.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #332 on: May 23, 2017, 11:10:42 pm »

I thought I would show how the port deck was constructed within the hull so that it did not take up too much room and would allow the hanger deck to be installed when being shown.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #333 on: May 23, 2017, 11:17:51 pm »

Some photos of the outrigger decks having been painted dark green, which was the color she was painted in 1940 

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #334 on: May 24, 2017, 08:52:15 am »

This build is looking increasingly tasty as you progress Paul, showing considerable advance planning in the detail of its construction.  Well done  :-))

Every time I see the latest stage I can't help thinking of the eight (radio?) masts at the edges of the flight deck.
Surely the most potentially vulnerable detail assemblies ever to be incorporated on a model intended for sailing.  I am sure you have a plan in mind.  I will continue to follow this super build at every new phase you post.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #335 on: May 24, 2017, 05:44:13 pm »

Starboard forward upper and lower decks now completed with all the work required to encase the decks ready for lighting.  Much the same as Port side, with one exception.  There is a small cabin to the rear of the lower starboard deck.  Was planing to put that in, but found that I could not install and seal the deck with it in place due to lack of space.  So left it out and do not think anyone will notice, just me.

I was wondering how to fit the four large search lights so they could rotate by hand and found the centre of each light base had a recess into which I cut down a 11 mm wood pole and then sanded down till level with the base of the light.  Will bond the wood section to the deck and then place the searchlight onto it.  This will hold it in place and allow for it to be rotated and removed when taking to the lake and shows.

I did the same with the 6 pom pom guns which I am painting at the moment.  Each of them has a circle at the base.  Measure the circumference and then using a compass marked out the circle and then cut with a fretsaw from 3 mm thick marine ply and then using my dremel made 6 perfectly circular mounts to which I can bond to the decks and Island and again they can been seen to rotate and remove for transporting.   

Will post photos later when the guns and search lights are in place. 

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #336 on: May 29, 2017, 05:14:23 pm »

Hi Bob K,

Thanks for your commons and much appreciated.  There was lots of planing way back at the stage of marking out the ribs of the hull to take into account the outer decks, quarter and chain decks.  It all paid off in the end.  Not having to bond these deck to the inside of the hull and hope they stayed in place.
Regards
Paul 

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #337 on: May 29, 2017, 05:24:24 pm »

Hi Paul,  I always use Nano Chips for model lighting they are tiny light chips that are very bright and have very little impact on the battery, they come with a resister already wired you simply wire them to a battery via a switch if you wish, they come in various colours or warm or bright white, you can virtually wire as many as you like though out the boat in the same principle as a house ring main, check them out at
www.smallscalelights.co.uk  run by Jennifer Smith,  very good service and reasonably cheap, she dose LEDS of various sizes but I find the Nano Chips best because you can hide them in the boat and all you see is the light when switched on, she has got 12 volt ones, hope this helps.

Joe

Have spoken to Jennifer and she advised that due to the length of the hull and the length of the power leads, that I should use them in groups and connect to a multi block and then run the main heavier  battery power lead to each block.  That way there is no damage to the lights.  Also they are limited to the size of area they cover.

They are very bright for their size but it does depend a little on the model as if they're enclosed in a darkish space they'll look brighter than in an open area.As a rough guide she suggested 1 per 3 inch square, so if I had an area 3x3 inches with one in the centre it would be about right, but if it's an enclosed space inside the carrier you might only need 1 per 4 x 4inch square, depending on how bright it needs to be.  They can get a bit too bright!She advised that I  can always add more it you need to if you're using a connector block.

The cost was about £45.00 for around 20 + units. plus postage.

So putting my pennies away in my boat box for this item.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #338 on: May 29, 2017, 05:25:04 pm »

Have spoken to Jennifer and she advised that due to the length of the hull and the length of the power leads, that I should use them in groups and connect to a multi block and then run the main heavier  battery power lead to each block.  That way there is no damage to the lights.  Also they are limited to the size of area they cover.

They are very bright for their size but it does depend a little on the model as if they're enclosed in a darkish space they'll look brighter than in an open area.As a rough guide she suggested 1 per 3 inch square, so if I had an area 3x3 inches with one in the centre it would be about right, but if it's an enclosed space inside the carrier you might only need 1 per 4 x 4inch square, depending on how bright it needs to be.  They can get a bit too bright!She advised that I  can always add more it you need to if you're using a connector block.

The cost was about £45.00 for around 20 + units. plus postage.

So putting my pennies away in my boat box for this item.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #339 on: May 29, 2017, 06:15:07 pm »

Hi Paul Yes the connection method she describes is similar to the ring main method I suggested, I used nano chips on my springer's nav lights etc. and they show up well, the thing is you can hide them more easily than the larger LED's. hope they work out for you.

Joe.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #340 on: May 30, 2017, 05:48:45 pm »

The last of the side decks completed and ready to be installed into the hull.  That leaves me the quarter deck and the chain deck to do.  Pom pom's are all painted and ready to be mounted on the finished model.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #341 on: May 30, 2017, 06:04:07 pm »

Not much good with thread sizes, can anyone tell the thread size of the M2 linkage rods for the rudder servos. Is it a BA and what size so I can get a tap for mine as one end now has no thread.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #342 on: May 30, 2017, 06:07:07 pm »

M2 means 2 mm.Paul
Ned

Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #343 on: May 30, 2017, 07:56:08 pm »

Hi Paul,

You can buy an M2 die. Look on Ebay and you should find loads available for a reasonable price. I bought an M2 Tap set including Taper and second for a fiver IIRC. You may need to invest in a small die holder as well.

Your decks are looking fab by the way  O0
Pond weed is your enemy

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #344 on: May 30, 2017, 10:34:39 pm »

You may not be able to cut a 2mm thread on the oher end of your linkage. Most commercial linkages use rolled threads and the unthreaded rod is a smaller diameter, too small for a die cut thread. Youy can buy solder on connectors to fit to the unthreaded end.
http://www.slecuk.com/balsa-wood/M2-Metal-Solder-Extender-8-per-pkt-SL016C_S.html

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #345 on: June 05, 2017, 05:52:10 pm »

You may not be able to cut a 2mm thread on the oher end of your linkage. Most commercial linkages use rolled threads and the unthreaded rod is a smaller diameter, too small for a die cut thread. Youy can buy solder on connectors to fit to the unthreaded end.
http://www.slecuk.com/balsa-wood/M2-Metal-Solder-Extender-8-per-pkt-SL016C_S.html

Jim

Hi Jim, Thanks for the info and have 8 of them now and fixed my problem.  Many thanks for the info.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #346 on: June 05, 2017, 06:07:12 pm »

Help!

Is there anyone out there ever build a working lift inside an Aircraft Carrier.  I have positioned the lift so only one support stringer need to be cut to allow the lift to move through the frames.  This required the moving of the entry a few mm to allow this.  I first thought that I would run up four post with the curvature of the lift on the inside on each post and bond them to the under side of the flight deck, thus allowing the lift to move up and down with the four post frame. (supports will be made at the base to keep it straight and firm)  I have made the supports to support the hanger deck so the lift come down level with the deck of the hanger.

I will leave a firm area around the lift and the flight deck section will be cut out and allow me to have two sections to fit in.  One being made of clear perspex to allow the viewing of the flight deck and the aircraft inside the hanger when on display (Radio Joe's idea. Thanks Joe).  The second with be the normal deck for when she is on the water and sailing.

My delamer is how do I make the lift work what type of frame would allow the unit to move up and down with a plane on board.  Stuck here, I have read through the sheets of build ideas but have not found anything that I could work with.

So is there anyone with ideas that I could play with to see what works best.

Thanks in advance for any assistance or advice given.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #347 on: June 05, 2017, 06:23:32 pm »

Finally finished off the ships boats and all painted ready to be installed.  Have one more to do but have not found the right shell yet.

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #348 on: June 05, 2017, 06:26:10 pm »

On a project I used 4 long screwed rods , one on each corner with 4 captive receiving nuts under the platform.Rods captured top and bottom.
  Micro switches were need to determine length of travel up and down. .Of course the rods will need turning by motor/s . This method worked years ago now so maybe in  digital times there would be away to  improve this

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #349 on: June 05, 2017, 06:32:02 pm »

Here is the photo with the above deck installed and all looks well.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 23 queries.