Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Illustrious 87  (Read 150596 times)

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • My build of HMS Illustrious 87 1939-1942
Re: HMS Illustrious 87
« Reply #375 on: June 19, 2017, 07:46:55 pm »

First set up for the lift platform which did not work.  I had even gut two slide grooves for the end sections top and bottom of the lift to slide but it was not going to work.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #376 on: June 19, 2017, 07:56:41 pm »

So now working on the plan I drew up earlier the only change is I will replace the bolt with a 4mm square center point and attached to it a 100 mm rack which will then be pulled down or pushed up by a pinion attached to a drive motor with top and bottom stops fitted  will post photos when the rack and pinion arrive and has been fitted.   The reason for the change from the 6 mm bolt as in the photos is that the pinion teeth will not mess with the bolt with out jumping. 

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #377 on: June 23, 2017, 04:13:57 pm »

Took Lusty down to the pond and carried out a water line test and make sure there was no water leaks.  She floats fine and the weight I put in is about right as I still have the two 12v 7 amp dry cell batteries to install and the deck with all the aircraft and the island.  If I need any more weight I can install some lead flashing to finisher her off.   Photo of her on the pond to come when I remove them from my phone SD card.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #378 on: June 23, 2017, 04:56:51 pm »

Here are the photos of the test.

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #379 on: June 23, 2017, 05:49:05 pm »

Paul why could you not make the scissors lift work?

Bob
I will finish this model

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #380 on: June 23, 2017, 06:02:03 pm »

Looks good on the water Paul, always amazes me how much smaller they look when afloat. good work mate. :-))

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #381 on: June 23, 2017, 06:06:55 pm »

hi there

Joe when you look at the earlier pics when building the hull in the garage - it looks absolutely huge - and you think how is he going to carry that.  When you see it on the water though, it looks very deceiving the size.   Looks a lovely model.   Cant wait to see it finished.    I like where he is sailing it - Scottish Maritime Museum?  I think it is anyway.

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #382 on: June 23, 2017, 06:09:02 pm »

For the lift to go up from the down position the scissor action would need to end up flush with the base platform and the lift platform.  When up and level with the flight deck the scissor would need to be fully extended and the height required made the scissor legs too long as per the last photo. They would not retract and be flush with the base platform and the lift platform. (just like a collapsed cloths drier would when closed or opened.)   If made shorter they would lift the lift up but to low and not level with the deck.  Also the left twisted in the frame housing.  each adjacent scissor arm was fixed and the opposite side arms were on a roller system to the top left moved in along with the bottom right moving in under control of the drive motor screw. The top right was fixed point and the bottom left was a fixed point. Each set of arms moved on there own axis.  Just like the same lift in the photos I found and posted. 

The way I am going now is a 5 mm square section of wood is replacing the coach bolt.  I have a 100 mm of rack attached to this square section of wood which runs through the lift floor and the drive motor is positioned below the floor and the pinion is matched to the rack and runs by pulling the lift down and hits the stop limit and when raising stops when that limit switch is reached.  The rack and pinion gear arrived today.  The pinion will fit the 2 mm Diam shaft motor I am using and the motor is mounted under the floor of the lift shaft floor.  Limit switch top and bottom of the floor.  If it works will post details on here for others to work too if they want.     

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #383 on: June 23, 2017, 06:17:49 pm »

Thanks Joe praise indeed from the teacher.

She looks small but she is not when she is measured from bow to stern she is 240 CM  long and is a fair weight to lift.  The water line should go down further when the batteries are in all the guns and aircraft and then the island.  So a wee while yet, as I am just finishing off the quarter deck being kitted out and then once done will will install that deck. The I have the chain deck to kit out and install along with the anchors.  Then the hull requires all the port holds to be mapped out and then fitted.  Will then do a second water test with the all the running gear in fitted and test the system in the water.  Have dry tested the motors and they run like a dream very quiet and will give her the affected to scale speed.

The pond is the Irvine Scottish Maritime Museum. 

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #384 on: June 23, 2017, 06:21:53 pm »

There are larger and more detail photos here which you can enlarge without distortion. https://www.flickr.com/photos/92998762@N02/35319670992/in/dateposted-public/

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #385 on: June 23, 2017, 06:40:07 pm »

Ho I know she's a monster Paul, but even the cruise liners coming down Spithead look small compered to at the docks until one of the Isle-of-Wight ferries pass close to one of the liners then you see the size ok.  %%

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #386 on: June 23, 2017, 08:56:39 pm »

It is great to see her afloat after all your original dissapointments with the original hull and then the efforts taken to build the new one up to now when she is well on the way.

She looks lovely Paul.
Pond weed is your enemy

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #387 on: June 24, 2017, 10:25:40 am »

Thanks for reply Paul, guess I must have just got it right for my scissors lift, which is why I suggested it.  My lift went from flush to flight deck to a level equating the hangar, so in actual fact no a lot of travel involved.  going to have a bash if time allows today( uniforms to sort for armed forces parade tomorrow) and see if I can replicate it.  god luck with the version you are working on.  yes she looks good on the water, always a satisfying moment

Bob
I will finish this model

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #388 on: June 28, 2017, 03:17:43 pm »

Your welcome Bob, I await to see your build and take lessons as necessary.   I have made the rack to replace the steel bolt and fitted it to the under side of the lift.  Made adjustments to the base floor of the lift so that the rack can pass through and the base will be fixed to the lift shaft.  It will hold the drive motor underneath, with on off switches to be marked and fitted.

I am looking for a good supplier of small 12 v motors with gearing attached to reduce the speed to a nice slow movement up and down.  Anyone know of a good supplier to who I can give the specifications of my pinion and rack.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #389 on: June 28, 2017, 03:28:46 pm »

Have completed the chain deck and kitted out this deck with the 4 x 6 lbs guns, lockers, reels anchor chains and capstan along with bollards etc. Also the first of the front searchlight platforms has been railed and light fitted, along with ladders and door.  Once the portholes have been fitted she will really look the part.  She goes on display at the local Maritime Museum on the 21/22/23 of July.  So looking forward to the comments from the people who want to see her.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #390 on: June 28, 2017, 10:00:22 pm »

I am looking for a good supplier of small 12 v motors with gearing attached to reduce the speed to a nice slow movement up and down.  Anyone know of a good supplier to who I can give the specifications of my pinion and rack.

Hi Paul, the first one that comes to mind is; www.mfacomodrills.com/contact.html
You could give them a ring to discuss your requirements and / or e-mail some of your photographs to them as a visual aid.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ray.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #391 on: June 28, 2017, 10:34:39 pm »

What on earth are they doing shipping 6pounders for? They make good saluting guns I suppose. They do make a nice detail addition though, and like the efforts you have made in painting the capstans etc.
Pond weed is your enemy

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #392 on: June 29, 2017, 02:22:40 pm »

Thanks Ray, I have emailed them and sent some photos and details, will wait and see what they come up with.  As for the 6 pounders have another 6 in my spares locker incase they can be used on others.  I feel the chanin deck will be ok when lighting is fitted in this area. 

While I wait for the drive motor for the lift working on how to insert the hanger sect of deck to house the plains stored below to be view when on display.  The deck does not need to be there when she is being sailed.  Think a dove tail joints may be the answer. Back to the drawing board.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #393 on: July 07, 2017, 03:08:29 pm »

Quarter deck is now ready to be kitted out have installed the railings. Difficult job to fit around each of the supports in the quarter deck and then be able to slide the deck in ready to be bonded in place.

Also started on the last deck to be made which is the lower level of carley floats. difficult to work out how they are mounted and the only photo I have does not give much detail.  The ship's plans of each of the hull sections cuts does not help either.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #394 on: July 20, 2017, 10:57:26 pm »

Had a lot of work to do to get her ready for this weekend show.  The quarter deck fitted out and installed.  Lift section fitted and ready for the flight deck.   Cut the rear section first and made cut outs for the rudder and the drive motors.  secured and trim.  The forward section then cut and a larger opening for the electrics and the lift.  Finally placed the mount for the island to sit on so it can be removed and refitted in the same place.  Wiring for lighting on the island run through to the under side and ready to wire up.  Final gave the island its top coat and fitted all the port hole covers.  Even had time to mount the shop boats with lowering chains from the booms.  Trial fit of all pom pom, HA fire control units and all searchlights.  She looks great.  Will take more photos at the show and a video and put it on Flickr.  Hope you like.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #395 on: July 21, 2017, 08:44:37 am »

Oh she is becoming an elegant ship Paul. I like the HA directors :-))

Forgive me for asking (as you may well have put pictures up  before) but are the directors scratch built or purchased? They are very nice, my Penelope needs two eventually.
Pond weed is your enemy

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #396 on: July 21, 2017, 01:05:15 pm »

Yes the HA detectors was obtained from John Haynes also if you want them displayed as completely covered the Dean Marine do one too.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #397 on: July 21, 2017, 07:55:46 pm »

I will get the haynes ones and then make partially open ones to get the best of both worlds, a bit of pretty and a bit of a challenge making the frames of the cover  :}

Pond weed is your enemy

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #398 on: July 24, 2017, 08:21:35 pm »

Here is the link to the model on display at the Irvine Maritime Museum on the 22/7/2017.   

https://youtu.be/0B2siOJAhZU

Also link to photos.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92998762@N02/albums/72157686616807116

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #399 on: July 25, 2017, 03:45:49 pm »

Paul did you get my message about lifts and where to look?

Bob
I will finish this model
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.