Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: H.M.S.KENT  (Read 6784 times)

Roger in France

H.M.S.KENT
« on: December 04, 2006, 06:26:44 am »

I would appreciate any information about building a model of H.M.S. Kent (circa 1910). My uncle died that year while serving on her in Hong Kong - not from hostilities.

It would make a great project for me to plan.

I was also inspired by the great pics. of her, which Martin provided from the Dean's Weekend (Thanks, Martin). I think Dean's do a hull only.

Roger in France.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: H.M.S.KENT
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 09:00:08 am »

Model Boats had a decent plan of Kent in their range ref: MM897 . It's not on the X Plans list so I assume they are still able to provide it. Scale is  1:96 , length 57.75 inches. Described as detailed drawing with constructional sketches by David Coleman. It would certainly make a very nice model.

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 10:16:50 am »

They also did a series of articles on building HMS Kent. Not sure when, but next time I'm in the archives (posh word for pile of old magazines in the corner of the loft!) I'll have a look.

Rick

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 07:54:55 pm »

Roger

MM897 HMS Kent was still in the MB catalogue @ £11 when they last produced one in 1998.

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Roger in France

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 07:04:47 am »

Thanks guys. Off to order the Plan. Yet another one to add to the "Someday List"!

Incidentally, my maternal grand father also died on board a ship in the first World War. It was an early torpedo attack, or maybe he hit a mine in the Irish Sea off Hollyhead. I think he was in the Merchant Marine and had been "recruited" into a minesweeper. I am currently tracing the ship in the hope of building her as well.

Now that would be a real "ghost fleet"!

Roger in France.

Roger in France

H.M.S.KENT - I got the plan thanks to another Mayhem Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 07:51:32 am »

Who needs Model Plans Service? Another kind Mayhemmer had an old set of plans and sent them to me for free!

I cancelled my order with "Model Boats Plan Service"........a week later their plan arrived! Poor service and the plan arrived with no invoice and no credit card slip, even my address was hand written and there was nothing on the plan or the envelope in which it came to identify where it came from.

Roger in France.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: H.M.S.KENT - I got the plan thanks to another Mayhem Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 12:22:37 pm »

I cancelled my order with "Model Boats Plan Service"........a week later their plan arrived! Poor service and the plan arrived with no invoice and no credit card slip, even my address was hand written and there was nothing on the plan or the envelope in which it came to identify where it came from.

Roger in France.

At least you got your plan - I ordered a plan from X-list on the 23rd October - still waiting. I know they say 35 days, but I reckon I'm well over that now.

Barrie

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 01:00:02 pm »

The book Falklands and Coronel by Barrie Pitt published by cassell is a good read and there are a few pictures of HMS Kent.

www.worldwar1atsea.net

As some information on her too... I think

WWW.wrightandlogan.co.uk
www.navyphotos.co.uk
www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk

is worth a look

hope this helps
Daryl

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 01:10:53 pm »

Daryl's right, it's an interesting book and the author is Barrie Pitt. The title is the wrong way round though, it's 'Coronel and Falkland', and getting the title right would make it easier to track down a copy. I wouldn't fancy anyone's chances though, it was published in 1960 and must have been out of print for many years.
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 01:14:42 pm »

PS, a rapid correction. The title is indeed 'Coronel & Falkland', not the other way around, but it was republished as a paperback in 2002, so maybe not so difficult to find after all.

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 01:34:14 pm »

Two out of three bookshops in Gloucester had it in stock, so tracking down a copy should not be too difficult. I have found it the most informative to read. As the book is at home and I am at work I havn't got the ISBN number which would make ordering easy, but a search of Amazon or Waterstones by the author or title would bring it up.

Daryl

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 01:42:23 pm »

Found this on Amazon for the Barrie Pitt book.

Paperback: 192 pages
Publisher: Cassell military (31 Jan 2004)
Language English
ISBN-10: 0304361607
ISBN-13: 978-0304361601

That should keep everyone happy. They also listed a book with a similar title by Geoffrey Bennett? I have never seen it as anyone read it? how does it compare to Barrie Pitts book which is regarded as excellent.

Daryl

Roger in France

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 06:25:36 am »

Thanks chaps, all very useful. I will try to find a copy of the book.

"Kent" is not top of my build list at the moment so I can continue with my research.

I think I mentioned that my uncle died on board her in 1915, hence my interest.

Roger in France.

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 08:51:16 am »

One great source of free information is the 'Over to You' section of Navy News. I get my copy from Tescos but they have a web site. www.navynews.co.uk you can place a advert in there for free, I did a while ago for an MTB I was building and I was amazed at the responce.

No doupt the plans are in the NMM at Greenwhich, along with their large bill for copying them.

Daryl

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 09:02:43 am »

No doupt the plans are in the NMM at Greenwhich, along with their large bill for copying them.

Daryl

A friend recently asked Greenwich for a list of what they had on HMS Warrior, the ship preserved at Portsmouth. If he'd taken everything they offered, it would have come to over £1500, even the basic necessities for a reasonable model were over £150.

Roger in France

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 09:39:09 am »

Following all the information provided by fellow Mayhemmers I have been able to buy a copy of the reprinted book from Amazon France for 8,60€ - free postage.

I found several photos of HMS Kent. I also found a super painting (I presume a reproduction of the painting) of Kent passing a light ship and she is in her Victorian livery but at £65 I passed!

I was very excited when browsing one of the photo archive sites to find a picture of HMT Sapper, the Admiralty minesweeping trawler on which my grandfather drowned in 1917.

Thanks for all your help.

Roger in France.

kayechuk

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 03:05:32 pm »

good day.i have the plan and hull for kent,which i have started.go to the grandville island museum site  located in vancouver,bc.there is a completed kent model on display on line.very nicley done model.i had some photoraphs  taken by a friend.i have the file on my computer at work.i can send you the pictures if you want.

dennis.kaye@gov.ab.ca O0

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 04:18:34 pm »

roger-i-f

By chance I came across a tinted postcard of her sister,  Bedford
http://www.the-weatherings.co.uk/pccship0104.htm

and a few of Kent, good pix, but not tinted
http://www.the-weatherings.co.uk/pccship0147.htm

andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.