Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Angling Technics Procat Mk2 Problems, can you help at all??  (Read 8036 times)

BigAndy

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

Hi all,

I have a Angling Technics Procat Mk2 bait boat which is great. Bought it with a friend 2nd hand last year and used it successfully for all of last summer (upto around 8/9 fishing trips).

The boat performed on every use last year and was put away under my mates bed with its batteries disconnected (but the handset/transmitter batteries still connected). Went to use it last week and having problems with it.

When the boat is turned on, the motors run all the time with the control sticks in the central position, when the control sticks are moved to certain positions the motors will stop or change the noise they are making (guessing caused by a slight change of direction). When the channel of the right hand control stick is changed to N rather than R, the boat responds as if the handset/transmitter isn't turned on. Adjusting the trims also has the same effect.

I have had the controller open and found that it looks to have got damp at some point as half of the PCB is furry and the components dont look to be in good shape. Is this likely to be the cause of the problem or more likely to be something int the boat itself?

Any suggestions are appreciated, although we have tried recharged/different batteries and I have crystals on order, as we are really keen to get this fixed (and try not to send it back to the manufacturer).

Many thanks in advance!

BigAndy

• Shipmate
Re: Angling Technics Procat Mk2 Problems, can you help at all??
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 08:31:59 pm »

Ive had the transmitter open today and half of it doesnt look to be in good shape. Alot of the components on half of the PCB were furry and looked water contaminated. I cleaned them up as best I could with a commutator brush as well as doing all other connections including battery contacts.

BUT....still no improvement. I did manage to get the boat responding to the transmitter correctly this afternoon before taking the transmitter apart, but it would not respond to left commands and only weakly to right commands. Forward and back were fine. Seems to me that something is intermittently failing/a bad connection. It started to respond to the commands when the aerial was manipulated VERY small amounts.

Tried the new crystals but no change there. Looking at buying a second transmitter, thinking along the lines that the state of it someit must be going wrong in there (and its only £15 so not silly money) but after that I'll be looking at taking the boat apart....which Ireally dont want to do.

Any ideas on what ive descrbied above?

Thanks again

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 08:49:13 pm »

Defo sounds like the transmitter is Furbared Get a new one or borrow one to try

Dave

BigAndy

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 07:56:23 am »

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully going to try and borrow a replacement handset from a model shop this afternoon to determine if it's the boat or handset!

Cheers

BigAndy

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 08:14:27 am »

Thanks for the input from you guys on this topic and helping me out. I've managed to borrow a friends handset/transmitter and has proven its the handset that is faulty. Swapped the crystals and my boat works good as new!! New handset on order so happy days!

Thanks again,

Andy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 09:02:19 am »

Catch a fish for us Andy!  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.