Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mounting brushless outrunners  (Read 3076 times)

rayna

• Full Mayhemer
mounting brushless outrunners
« on: May 01, 2014, 12:59:01 am »

:police:
I am building a 1:24 schnellboot and she will have twin 4548/1200kv outrunners.
I am looking at how to mount these an am considering turning up custom linking sleeves from solid with grub screws to lock and carrying out all the alignment with the drive train as a complete unit then bogging in through the hull in the normal way. I do not like any of the expensive universals and see no point in using them. They usually add a lot of noise.
The mount plate ahead of the motors would be bolted to brackets bogged into the hull so all can be easily dismantled.
Are there any reasons while this would not be a suitable option.
With all my other boats I use "o" ring/pulley drives as I find them simple easy to change and quiet but have not used outrunners before.
thanks
Rayna

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
Re: mounting brushless outrunners
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 06:38:24 am »

Hi,Rayna,I use outrunners in all my boats because they are powerful with plenty of torque,whatever you do your will need a good coupling,the first attempt I made with a outrunner it broke the coupling that's how much torque you get with these motors,so now I buy the best I can afford and had no trouble since,as for noise if everything is lined up properly there should be no noise,Ray. 
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 08:26:55 am »

I would could recommend the modelboatbits power flex rubber couplers. I have a pair in my challenger and they handle 2x 3675 1100kv in runners on 4s, so around 18k RPM on a full charge!

nick_75au

• Full Mayhemer
    • Logan City Marine Modellers
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 11:13:05 am »

I use these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-35x6-35-SPIDER-FLEXIBLE-COUPLER-BALLSCREW-COUPLING-STEPPER-MOTOR-CNC-ROUTER-/290710339252?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item43afafbeb4&_uhb=1

Where the shaft size is suitable, the price varies, i think I spent about $8 each, these handle the torque generated by a 6" propeller at 1500 RPM, CNC machines place far more demand on the coupler than our boats can.

Cheers
Nick

Robert Davies

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 05:49:52 pm »

With some motor/propshaft combos you can work it so that a coupling is unnecessary.

Say you have a 4mm propshaft, and the outrunner has a 4mm 'armature' shaft - you obviously need a propshaft a couple of inches longer than usual, but you remove the armature shaft from the motor and just thread the motor onto the end of the plain propshaft - depending on the design of the motor, you may need to grind a slot for the 'c' clip to mount.

Now you have a motor mounted directly to you propshaft with no coupling alignment worries.

nick_75au

• Full Mayhemer
    • Logan City Marine Modellers
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 12:05:15 am »

I have done that, its a little problematic, the alignment between the motor and flange on the shaft tube has to be perfect, or the top bush removed.

rayna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 06:36:47 am »

Thanks guys. My motor is 6mm diam while the shaft is 5mm so any coupler I use would have to be stepped internally.
thanks for the input.
Raynor J

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 09:41:01 am »

http://www.rapidonline.com/electrical-power/in-line-coupling-5mm-6mm-43-1060
Just to show that such things exist.  Hopefully both ends will share the same center.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.