Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Coventry build  (Read 155320 times)

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Coventry build
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2014, 04:08:18 pm »

I know you won't need it for a while yet in your build, but if you check out www.scalewarships.com they do a very good PE double bedstead aerial at 1/96 scale.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2014, 04:22:47 pm »

Cheers Deadbeat, found it, stored away in the old memory for later  :-))

Adrians Figures

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2014, 10:17:35 pm »

Hi, don't know if it is of any help, but just finished reading the book "4 weeks in May - the loss of HMS Coventry" by David Hart Dyke in hard back.  If interested you could have it for the cost of Parcel Post (£5?) regards Adrian

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2014, 04:11:53 pm »

Hi Adrian pm sent regarding book cheers. Joe

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2014, 05:42:07 pm »

hi Joe
Couple of links of Type 42 builds from the forum which may just help you.   I am sure there is another build, which is either on this forum or another one - I will see if I can find it for you.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,41268.0.html
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,41253.0.html
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15073.0.html

Aye
John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2014, 06:16:40 pm »

Thanks John,
Most interesting I particularly liked your super timber built type 42, I've wimped out and getting a grip hull, scratch build the rest is quite enough for my old brain,  %% {:-{

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2014, 06:58:35 pm »

Darn auto correct that's GRP. Hull of course  O0

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2014, 09:20:19 am »

Now that guy who built Edinburgh is just showing off, working stabilisers indeed, he's making me feel quite inadequate LOL. {-) {-) {-) %%

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2014, 08:12:36 pm »

Umm got working gyros stabs and rudder on Tiger as well O0 :} :-))
I will finish this model

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2014, 08:36:13 pm »

Hi Rob, yes some super models there, mind you I am learning with each ship I build, my Zulu, just finished has turning turrets and radars, I'll try even harder on Coventry  :-))

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2014, 09:11:48 pm »

Umm got working gyros stabs and rudder on Tiger as well O0 :} :-))

Well an improvement over the real thing!  The stabiliser didn't feel like they worked on her!
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2014, 05:20:57 pm »

Still waiting for the hull to arrive, not too bothered as I know Barry ( Sirmar ) has work priorities, in the mean time I have been getting bits of her running gear, Rabosech shafts and a-frames on order, and the motors / mounts and couplings came yesterday a pair of Mabuchi 555, on reflection I think these may be a bit on the large side but with an inner shaft of 330 mm. I can get them in close to the bottom of the hull going by the plan, but I'll see better when the hull arrives, on the plus side they are not too fast when run on 7.2 v and they do have plenty of grunt. Joe  :-)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2014, 07:54:46 pm »

Having seen the working stabilizers earlier in the thread, it has planted the seed in the old brain, and have decided to have them working in Coventry, I'll link them to the rudder servo so they may help counter the lean out on fast turns, even if they are not that effective, the extra feature appeals to me, I'll fit them the same way as rudders,  :-)  . Joe.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2014, 08:11:02 pm »

Hi ya Joe - I have been playing round with one of these gadgets with a view to making it work stabilisers on the model boat and all the experiments up to date make it look pretty promising - it senses the movement and alters the position of the servo.
Have a think about one of these.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-TECH-G103-Head-Lock-Gyro-RC-Helicopter-T-Rex-450-ESKY-400-tail-lock-head-blade-/231235971615?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item35d6bcea1f

aye
john

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2014, 08:19:54 pm »

Interesting John, I'm sure I've got a gyro out of an old helicopter somewhere, that looks like that one, I think I'll do a bit of experimenting  :-))

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2014, 08:54:11 pm »

mine was from hobby king £8 max, allows control of all 6 stabalisers and also the rudder
I will finish this model

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2014, 05:10:23 pm »

Can't find that old gyro, must have chucked it when I refurbed my dry dock, typical as soon as you throw something away, you want it, anyway my motto is don't run before you can walk, so having decided to have stabilizers working albeit limited, for this build I'll just link them to the rudder and see how effective they are  %% . Joe.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2014, 05:51:57 pm »

hi ya Joe

The thing is really; do the stabilisers really work on our scale models.?

I think this is open to a big debate.   I have built a 1:48 scale Leeds Castle which does have/did have operating stabilisers.

It works on a different system to the gyro system - this one works on a swinging pendulum system.

I myself am not truly convinced that they work that well - more of a gimmick.

To make the stabilisers become affective - we would have to double the size of them; the best safety guard really with these types of models - as you will know from your last build of narrow warships - is to keep the weight down low - as low as possible in the hull.   The 2 type 42 warships I have built HMS Manchester/HMS York - I powered them both with a 10 amp 6 volt gel cell battery which was laid on its side a little way past midships of the hull - and also think its about a 2 ounce slug of lead placed on the same side of the hull where the terminals are on the battery.   This is to counteract the weight of the battery cos the battery is heavier at the bottom end than the top end where the terminals are and as a test of stability I was able to roll the model on its side until the water flooded onto the deck and about 1/4 inch up the main side of the superstructure & when I let go of the model it would right itself.   This way, when I knew I was in the middle of the lake I could heal the model over so that the decks were awash and it would right itself.   

My party piece for these models is to go full steam ahead up the lake, flicking rudders from port to starboard, thus creating a roll in the model and then when the model was healed over either on port or starboard roll keeping the rudder set at that side and watching the model squirm out of its roll  %%  had a few scary moments though, even though I knew the model would right itself.

aye
john

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2014, 07:01:47 pm »

Yes John, I think you're right about the stabs, I think they will be more of a talking point at the SWA exhibitions than any use on the water, but I like the mechanics of the build so they will add a bit more interest, and as my relative who served on Coventry would say   "stabilisers? What stabilisers ".
Initial studies of the plan indicates the motors will be positioned just aft of her funnel and I'll have my usual two nmih high capacity batteries immediately forward of them which puts them just about amidships, the motors are also quite close to the aft stabilisers so the stabs shaft tubes will be close, I could extend the prop shafts if necessary.
Barry (Sirmar) has said the hull should be with me this week, so looking forward to that :-))

Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2014, 05:08:27 pm »

The hull arrived today, first impressions are it's more rigid and robust than the three warship hulls I've used previously, and as with any grp. moulding produced on a commercial scale it needs some preparation and a couple of bits of filler here and there, this was expected having worked in the boat building industry for many years, one thing I wasn't expecting was the moulded in bilge keels, very pleased with that as I thought I was going to have to make them from laminated styrene, now just the stabilisers to make, there is also a fair amount of spreading across the beam, so this will need sorting, this seems to be common in grp hulls.
So I made a start on rubbing down the flash from the mould joints, The moulded in shaft outlets will have to be cut out as my shaft tubes are a larger diameter than them, just as well I wouldn't fancy drilling a that angle anyway. ;)  >joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2014, 08:53:57 pm »

Today I trimmed the waist off the topsides and sanded them to a fair line along the hull, made the cradle and initially fitted the shafts. Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2014, 05:55:56 pm »

Got a bit more done the last couple of days fitting the frames, I am fitting more frames than I normally do as there was quite a lot of spread across the beam , some 20mm at the widest point. so I gradually pulled the beam in to the correct measurements at each station line and held in place with masking tape till the frames are secure, I'll fair in the top sides more when I fit the deck bearers and cross members, but she's looking fairly robust now, and I'm quite happy with the progress.  :D  Joe

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2014, 08:26:55 pm »

As always you don't hang about Joe.  Impressive work already showing.
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2014, 08:42:36 pm »

Thanks Mike, well the plan is to potter about with fitting out the hull, up to deck, I've just ordered a set of fittings from Sirmar that are going to take at least two month's so the superstructures will be started around September, but as you know Mike my builds don't always go to plan  %) . Joe.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19   Go Up

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 21 queries.