Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Coventry build  (Read 155331 times)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Coventry build
« Reply #450 on: November 08, 2016, 04:44:23 pm »

Hi there

I too would be interested to see how the stabilisers performed in a video .. due to the fact that when I built Leeds Castle, which had independent control of stabilisers which worked from a free swinging pendulum, mounted into the centre of stability axis of the model, and this pendulum has sensors on it which picked up which way the pendulum moved.  The problem being, you cannot get the model to respond and roll like a 'real' ship as the model movement tends to be too quick and jerky.  Therefore the sensor system used to over react and sometimes you could get a quick corkscrewing movement out of the model.  Other times it wasnt noticable, you could see the stabilisers working but the model not really responding. The Leeds Castle is 1:48 scale.
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #451 on: November 08, 2016, 06:03:07 pm »

hi there 3rd attempt hope this works

3 photographs of the internals of the LEEDS CASTLE - first one should be the pendulum which is mounted between the 2 main drive motors

2nd one should be of the part of the electronics which basically is a heavily modified servo driver

3rd one - 2 drive servos which drive the stabilisers independently

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Yarpie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #452 on: November 08, 2016, 08:17:26 pm »

Joe, utmost respect to you for a job extremely well done.

In Naval parlance: BRAVO ZULU!

If I'm correct in assuming that you sail on Walpole Lake in Gosport then I look forward to seeing COVENTRY on that lake soon.

We launched our version of War Department Train Ferry No3 on that very lake today and were blessed with good weather, calm water and light winds, critical for a vessel with such a low freeboard.

Whilst discussing the stabilisers on HMS COVENTRY I'm reminded of a sad tale regarding her sinking and her stabilisers. As the ship's company abandoned ship, her First Lieutenant was almost last to leave. As he slid down the heavily listing ship's side, and being uninjured, he apparently caught his chin on a still extended stabiliser fin, was seriously injured and perished as a result.

Our thoughts go out to his and all of the families bereaved in the Falklands Conflict, especially as Armistice Day approaches.

Your excellent model should be a fitting memorial to those lost aboard the COVENTRY.

Kind regards,

Sandy.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #453 on: November 08, 2016, 11:16:23 pm »

Hi Sandy
Thanks but there seems to be some confusion Coventry was completed 18 months ago.

Yarpie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #454 on: November 09, 2016, 02:04:09 pm »

Sorry Joe, wrong era for COVENTRY but the sentiments still apply. :embarrassed:

Sandy. %)

obxships

• Shipmate
« Reply #455 on: November 14, 2016, 06:35:48 pm »

Hey Joe, been awhile since I have been on here. Your build is amazing, museum quality. Something to be proud of for sure. Looks awesome on the water, well done!! :-))
Regards, Dennis

DamienB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #456 on: March 30, 2020, 09:48:58 pm »

Amazing build Joe - thank you so much for posting so many progress shots. I bought somebody else's completed '42 last year with the intention of converting it to Coventry (my dad's ship, he was a survivor in 1982). Now with isolation and some spare time, I've been busy hacking off the various Batch 2 bits on the one I bought to backdate it somewhat. The more I work, the more I find bits the original builder either got wrong, or were wrong on his plans. Hey ho!

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #457 on: March 31, 2020, 11:42:16 am »

Hi Damien, hope your Coventry conversion is going well and pleased if my build log helps in any way, my daughter's father in law was one of the survivors of Coventry's crew which is why I chose her for my T42 build, I ended up building 6 war ships all around 4 foot long and they took so much storage space so I sold 5 of them at quite a good price actually, so now I just have my last scratch built HMS Brocklesby MCMV that I just could not sell.
Regards   Joe.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #458 on: March 31, 2020, 01:24:07 pm »

You had to keep one Joe! I salute your resolution to be able to have sold the others  :}
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #459 on: March 31, 2020, 03:37:03 pm »

Hi Ian, yes you may recall we were seriously thinking of downsizing house wise at that time so I made the decision to sell 5 of the them, as a consolation I did buy a very expensive two terabyte desktop computer, for practical reasons the downsize hasn't happened yet, I think Brocklesby is a culmination of all the things I learned building the other 5 ships so she is a keeper.

Stay well mate    Joe.

DamienB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #460 on: April 18, 2020, 11:18:01 am »

Shame you had to let the others go!

My build is coming along very slowly, keep finding things the original builder got wrong.

Don't suppose you kept your scale plans for the 42 did you?

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #461 on: April 18, 2020, 05:01:26 pm »

Hi Damian,  yep still got them oddly enough I was looking for something in a drawer yesterday moved some paperwork and there they were must have been there around  4or5 years.

Joe.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19]   Go Up

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.