Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Coventry build  (Read 155332 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
HMS Coventry build
« on: May 14, 2014, 09:49:45 am »

Hi All,  I finished my third Deans build a while ago and decided on a type 42 for my next, I have been posting my builds on Deans forum but as the build section is restricted to Deans own make and they don't have a type 42 I hope you all wont mind if I post my build of HMS Coventry on here, It will be my first venture into semi scratch building of a warship, and I have no doubt it will be a long build, I plan on starting it proper about September to be a winter build, I got the 1:96 plans from Jecobin  it's actually HMS Glasgow but being both early batch 1, I thought it would be close enough, I chose Coventry as I have a relative who was one of the survivors when she was bombed. I have also ordered the hull from Sirmar and will be getting most of the fittings from Barry as well over the next few months, I say most as I have branched into moulding my own fittings and has been quite successful albeit mostly simple stuff like wt doors, lockers etc.
studying the plans I got itchy fingers and thought I'd potter about and do bits and bobs so started by making her rudders my usual laminated plasticard and sanded to profile.
I joined Mayhem about a year ago but haven't got round to posting, but have frequently visited and have picked up a lot of building tips off you guys.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: HMS Coventry build
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 11:49:40 am »

Oh! Nice!

This is gonna be good dude!  :embarrassed:
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 01:40:35 pm »

Thanks Martin,
I thought I would post some pics of my fleet so far if it's of any interest,  the pilot boat is my first total scratch and the hull is over 30 years old but has gone through a few changes in that time, and is still going strong,  my first warship is Solebay , next is Bramble and then Zulu just finished and had her "sea" trials today and I am very pleased with her.  Joe

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 03:35:03 pm »

If you would like them or think they may be of use I have 54 shots Of Liverpool taken last month but taken for a builder point of view so some are of unusual angles. (Also Gloucester and Manchester)

Rob
I will finish this model

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 04:18:42 pm »

Hi Rob, Thank you for your kind offer they would be much appreciated, the Jacobin plans are very good but you can never have too many photos so I'd be grateful for any you have. Joe.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
    • My build of HMS Illustrious 87 1939-1942
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 04:48:28 pm »

Hi Joe, found you and will be keeping my eye on you, just to make sure you stay with the plans!  Paul

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 04:52:19 pm »

Hi Paul, good to hear from you mate, I'll try and follow the plans but it might end up looking like a Chinese junk  %%. Joe

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 05:14:34 pm »

Joe PM me an email addy and I will bang em across, all a bit sad looking but it helps, do you want all or just Liverpool?
I will finish this model

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 05:50:04 pm »

Hi Rob  PM sent  if you don't mind sending them I'll have them all, I'll stick them in a folder and they will be a great source of information, and thanks again for taking the trouble to do it.  Joe

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 10:55:02 pm »

Welcome aboard Joe, like the look of them rudders  :-))

I'll just tag along and hope you enjoy the build  O0

Regards,

Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 02:48:38 pm »

Thanks Ray,
and thanks again to Rob for the excellent photos no matter if some are batch 3 the deck structures are mostly identical, as I'm building an early batch 1  the main difference will be the ships boats and crane davits amidships as opposed to the wing decks and hull panels/supports of the later ones, I intend to make the main superstructure and the hanger removable for access to the hull so the crane davits are going to be a bit of a problem as they are fixed to the upper and main decks, it may be that if well fixed to the upper deck they may just lift off with the bridge structure and simply rest on the main deck, anyway that is a long way off and I'm sure I'll figure it out.  {:-{ :-))

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 05:02:30 pm »

Hi ya Joe, welcome aboard

look forward to seeing your build.

I myself built HMS York a few years ago and I enjoyed the build.   I used a lot of Sirmar fittings in the construction of my model.  One of the books I used as a reference is Modern Combat Ships Series number 3, type 42, by Leo Marriott ISBN Number 0-7110-1453-1.  Whilst looking around the web I noticed books are going for 'silly money' I think I might have paid a few quid for my copy a few years back.

I noticed you mentioned the boats and how you are going to secure them - I had a similar problem myself which I overcame whilst I was building HMS Exeter WW2 version - this was where I made the upper deck lift off, leaving life boats secured to the main deck - have a search of this forum there are pictures of how I did mine.  To me though I was looking at the radar on the type you are building and its the 'older type' the 965 bedstead one and I notice Barry from Sirmar lists one under HMS Glamorgan and also Fleetscale do a brass etched one for about £14 and I have used a lot of Fleetscale brass etched stuff and I can vouch that its pretty good - so is Barry's of Sirmar - I am using a lot of his fittings at the current time on my revamp of HMS Norfolk type 23.

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 05:43:45 pm »

965 Double Bedstead.
Aerial type AKE2 ;D

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Z750Jay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 06:52:16 pm »

Or big wurly bit to us stokers

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 07:03:02 pm »

Thanks for the info guys, always appreciated, as far as know only the first 3 of batch 1 had the double bedsteads and the boat davits , Sheffield , Glasgow, and Coventry, I can't find any info on why the boats and davits were omitted on the rest.
just had a  e-mail from Barry the hull is ready and should be with me sometime next week so the project is taking shape.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 07:21:47 pm »

Thanks for the info guys, always appreciated, as far as know only the first 3 of batch 1 had the double bedsteads and the boat davits , Sheffield , Glasgow, and Coventry, I can't find any info on why the boats and davits were omitted on the rest.

They were removed because of weight and stability problems especially after the Falkland's when extra armament was required. You will probably have similar problems unless you built your model using the lightest materials possible and keeping any heavy items below the waterline.

You have missed out HMS Birmingham BTW.

My pictures of HMS Coventry fitting out and completed can be found on either Ships Nostalgia of Sea the Ships I can't remember which.

LB

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 08:07:27 pm »

Thanks LB, had not realised Birmingham was built with double bedstead and davits I've only seen photos of her fitted out as the rest of the type I guess she must have been converted early on.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 07:32:47 am »

Hi there Joe

according to Wiki there were 6 ships in batch 1.  According to the book I have all 6 ships in batch 1 had boat davits and also the double bedspread according to the book that is what it was called.  Here's a link for you, but no doubt you will already have it.   Looking forward to seeing your build.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_42_destroyer

aye
John

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 10:34:00 am »

Cheers for your comments Frank and John always welcome, Yes I am beginning to realise that the batch 1 were built the same and later converted alas without Sheffield and Coventry, which explains why I've seen photos of Cardiff and Newcastle in both versions, personally I prefer the boat/davit version although that double bedstead could be effected by wind, but judging by my other ships of a similar size there is plenty of scope to add ballast to over come stability problems in fact it always surprises me just how much lead it takes to get them down to their waterlines, with Zulu I did add more ballast and raise her boot topping by 6mm to get satisfactory stability, John I see you are from South Shields, my fathers home town and although born in my mothers home town of Gosport the first 8 years of my life I lived in South Shields at 174 Eldon Street that address was drummed into me by mum in case I got lost, I believe the area is an industrial estate now, and although very young still recall there was a very impressive town hall building I'm guessing it's still there.  Joe.

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2014, 12:31:28 pm »

Hi Joe,

Are you coming to the SWA show 25th May, if so I can take along some Common info on the Batch 1's which I have,  may help you with your model
Regards David

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 12:36:49 pm »

Aye John.RE:and also the double bedspread.   I think you will find that the double bedspread is wot you and the mrs sleep under where as
theDoubleBeadstead is wot the naval radar is called. 

Frank   {-)   

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 01:57:18 pm »

Hi Dave, unfortunately I won't be at that show, I have a prior commitment, but will be at the one at Action Stations in June, I'd be pleased with any info.

Hey Frank I didn't spot that, I guess it comes from your eye for detail :-))

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 02:24:50 pm »

Hi one and all

Have a look at the image I have just put on and this is from the book 'Modern Combat Ships 3' referred to in my previous posting - where I stated bedspread was the nickname of the aerial.  I have always referred to it myself as the double bedstead - but there you go.  Over to you .....

By the way Joe, your former home has now been replaced with newer buildings - I think they are work units.  Hey ho progress so they say ..... hey did you have the outside netty :-)

oh yes the town hall still stands stately / it was shot blasted a few year ago to get all the seagull dropps off - they also refurbished the ship which is on top of the clock - weather vane.   We will say nowt about the occupants of the town hall though :-)

aye
john

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2014, 03:42:01 pm »

Yes John, we had the outside thunderbox complete with a compliment of spiders and other things of the crawling kind, but we were posh we also had an inside loo for use at night, that consisted of a white enamel bucket at the back of the scullery with part of it under the stairs so the ceiling sloped down, no standing room, you had to sit on it, by Eck people today don't know their born {-) {-)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.