Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: HMS Coventry build  (Read 155340 times)

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • My build of HMS Illustrious 87 1939-1942
Re: HMS Coventry build
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2014, 11:13:50 am »

:-)) Nice work Joe, but can not help but notice with all that wood work being inserted into that hull the floor around the table is very clean!   So you must have some other place to do the dirty work or you have a very good cleaner or Hoover! :police:
Will watch your build.   The section that you bonded in; what did you use to bond them as I have over 14 to put in my build soon.   Just brought the sheets of exterior 3 ply wood for the work.
Paul

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2014, 02:09:07 pm »

Hi Joe,

I have just found you here and will follow your build with great interest.  :-)) :-)) :-))I also prefer wood for frames. I glue it with epoxy and after the bond has dried apply epoxy with a brush (24 h epoxy which is used for laminating).

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2014, 03:54:23 pm »

Hi Arno, good to hear from you my friend, yes it's a good idea to seal the frames and I think I will on this one after I have done all the cross members and deck bearers.

Hi Paul,  I use a scroll saw for the frames, once it's hooked up to my old Dyson you get virtually no dust at all, one of my favourite tools and at £90 was worth every penny,,  the fillet around the frame is P38. I first tack the frame in place with three spots of a two pack acrylic adhesive, it's not easy to work with as it sets hard in less than two Minuit's but is a very strong bond, then apply the P38 fillet and clean off any waste as it sets.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2014, 04:27:07 pm »

Got the rest of the frames fitted and bonded in the shaft tubes, and faired in where they exit,  then fitted the intermediate bearings and next the tricky ones the A frame bearings, I think it turned out OK, I shaped the A frame legs as I usually do, so they don't look too bulky. Joe

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2014, 11:25:55 pm »

....looking good Joe :-))....is that blue tape sufficient to secure & align the A & P frames whilst bonding the legs internally? .........Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2014, 11:38:53 pm »

Hi Thanks Derek,  the tubes were aligned and bonded in before the A&P frames were fitted so the shafts held the bearing frames in place, the blue tape is just to seal round the frame legs while the epoxy is applied inside. Joe

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2014, 11:56:52 pm »

OK.....understood Joe.......are then you just relying on the lubricity of water between the A&P [brass/bronze] frames to the stainless shafts?.......which I assume are a Grade 303 or 304 material........

%)...so if this is the case, would you give them a shot of WD40 whilst rotating.....after each running?.........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2014, 08:57:00 am »

I exhibit my boats with the Surface Warships Association, so I think the open shafts look more realistic, when I do get round to sailing them I oil the bearings before and after, up to now I have had no problems with them.  :-))

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2014, 07:59:40 pm »

Hi Joe, thanks for the information on the Erbauer scroll saw, I found one on the web and have just purchased it in the auction.  Got it for a great price and the unit has never been used.   This will help me as I was not relishing the idea of having to use a small bow saw.  Should get it in the next few days.  Paul.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2014, 08:10:05 pm »

Yes really good saw Paul even has variable speed, you'll enjoy using it,  :-))

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2014, 04:59:14 pm »

Hi Joe  the saw arrived today, still in its wrapping and has not been used.  What is the best blade to use for cutting 3 ply and what speed would you recommend.  There are what look likes small hack saw blades.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2014, 07:49:45 pm »

Hi Paul,  I use a fairly fine tooth blade at full speed for cutting long straight lines and slow it down when I get to a corner and speed up again etc. most of the blades have little bars at each end to hook in the machine but you should have two small fittings for attaching to fret blades, the very thin blades, You can attach the blades in two directions strait on or sideways for cutting long pieces, spare blades are available from Screwfix but I've had my saw for a couple of years now and only had two blades break,  the trick is to put the right amount of tension on the blade without over doing it you'll soon get hang of it. :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2014, 04:46:57 pm »

The hull didn't have the sonar bubble, and with advise from someone who has built a couple of type 42s, about the stability of them, I am going to cheat a bit and fit two one near enough where the forward one should be and another about amidships, the combined weight is around 8 ounces, I thought 1/2 a pound slung under the keel would be more effective than above the keel, concentrating on my tug build first but I'd already started fitting the sonars and thought I'd finish them first.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2014, 06:12:03 pm »

While waiting for the set of plans for my tug build I thought I would fit the rudders to Coventry, I used pieces of scrap styrene between the hull and rudders and a support between the rudders to keep them parallel, taped in place till the epoxy around the tubes sets, I'll put extra support on the tubes later.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2014, 04:18:28 pm »

I am reading Four weeks in may at the moment so it is apt that I find your topic! It is interesting to see other people's workshops, yours looks very clean and tidy, much more so than mine:O)

Keep up the good work, I am interested to see your ship progress over the coming year.
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2014, 06:12:32 pm »

Yes a very good book, I don't read many books cover to cover but I did that one, I should get the fittings for Coventry end of September from Sirmar my armed tug HMRT Enigma should be finished November, so will be restarting Coventry then.  O0

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2014, 09:32:56 pm »

It was a horrible avoidable war caused by parsimony and we showed that we could bounce back, take the viper by the neck and get the job done with a flourish. It was an all arms operation and everyone liased well and coordinated. The Black buck ops were inspired!

Good luck with your Tug Joe and pop us some piccys of progress.
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2014, 11:39:47 pm »

The build of the tug is here in the forum, Envoy class HMRT Enigma

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2014, 06:02:49 pm »

Very nice Joe. What is the ship in the back ground of the last picture? This must keep you busy, how many models do you have on the "go" now?
Cheers Joe
Phil
Devon

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2014, 06:15:45 pm »

Hi Phil
That's the stern of my Battle class HMS Solebay I also have an Algerine HMS Bramble, a Tribal HMS Zulu, a scratch built Pilot boat and two in build HMS Coventry and HMRT Enigma Tug, yes they do keep me occupied but then I think you do need something when you're retired.   :-))

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2014, 05:34:19 pm »

just an update,  Coventry still on hold while I build my envoy tug, but her fittings arrived today from Sirmar with just a few to follow, but not needed for a considerable time, nice set of fittings with the usual flash to clean off, the radar domes are solid so I will be hollowing these out as they are high on the structures, when you have been working on a 1:48 for a few months you sure notice how small the 1:96 fitting are %%
So at least the time on hold has given me the chance to get all the "KIT" together it will be a long build being scratch on a hull but it's good to know all the bits are in the drawer waiting. :-))
Joe

cdsc123

« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2014, 10:31:42 pm »

I happened to watch this documentary last night and found it very well made and well worth a watch;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCKT5y8ZkQg

I was lucky enough to be in the 1980 RN "Sons at sea" program and I travelled on HMS Glasgow from here to Portsmouth, I was shown all aspects of the ship and gained a useful insight into life in the RN.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2014, 03:10:06 pm »

Yes hairy times indeed, one of the reasons I wanted to build a Type 42 is that, in my opinion, they are the last British warships that actually looked like warships and not the monolithic ones we have now, and the reason I chose HMS Coventry is that I have a relative that was on board at the time it was hit, he was one of the lucky ones who escaped with out major injuries, not sure what his thoughts will be when he see's her finished.   %%

cdsc123

« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2014, 03:40:24 pm »

My guess is he'll be thrilled to bits to see her memory being kept alive  :-))

Like the rudders BTW

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2014, 07:15:03 pm »

With my envoy tug completed, I've restarted my semi scratch build of Coventry, and fitted the deck bearers, I fit these dry with clips and use a piece of deck ply to position them, I then run thin cryano in the joint, then with the hull on it's side I apply epoxy to the underside of the bearer and the hull side, I've found this way cleaner and more accurate than clipping them in place on wet epoxy, next I think I'll cut out the aft quarter deck openings, this will need to be done very carefully and should be a bit easier without the weight of all the running gear.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Up

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 23 queries.