Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Coventry build  (Read 155316 times)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Coventry build
« Reply #400 on: April 08, 2015, 08:28:23 pm »

My wife was born in Pompey so I know the area well.  A pity we will have to wait until July to see your super ship.
Will we need to buy a Dockyard Pass to get to the Action Stations location?
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #401 on: April 08, 2015, 09:34:42 pm »

Thanks Sandy, hope you make it to Action Stations.  ;)

Bob Action Stations is part of Historic Dockyard so unfortunately you need a ticket.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #402 on: April 08, 2015, 09:48:27 pm »

It comes from not having got a model to that level of completeness yet, that I am thinking of things that you veteran builders think of instinctivly.

My destroyer is a 'Slim Jim' that will need a bit of lead in the bilges to keep her upright! I just hope the cut and shut job I did on her hull will be strong enough:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #403 on: April 09, 2015, 09:25:32 am »

My wife was born in Pompey so I know the area well.  A pity we will have to wait until July to see your super ship.
Will we need to buy a Dockyard Pass to get to the Action Stations location?

At the last meeting with the organisers at Action Stations, it looks like there will be a single attraction ticket available for the Model Boat Weekend, so you wont have to stump up for the combined ticket costs if you don't want to.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #404 on: April 09, 2015, 09:42:08 am »

Thanks.  Our latest family season tickets expire end of May.  Must plan another trip before then.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #405 on: April 09, 2015, 10:04:17 am »

At the last meeting with the organisers at Action Stations, it looks like there will be a single attraction ticket available for the Model Boat Weekend, so you wont have to stump up for the combined ticket costs if you don't want to.

Well that's good news for those who just want to pop into the exhibition  :-)) :-))

Marc St Hilaire 60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Older but no wiser!
« Reply #406 on: April 09, 2015, 07:42:28 pm »

She will be at Action Stations in the Portsmouth Dockyard in July 11/12 at a Surface Warships Association exhibition.  :-))

Thanks Joe. I'll make a point of coming and having a look.  :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #407 on: April 10, 2015, 04:07:14 pm »

I wasn't happy with the resin gangways so I made my own which are a bit closer to the drawing,  now started to prepare the ships boats again the ones I had were not up to scratch so I got some Quaycraft boats not cheap but good quality, very fiddly painting these, hands not as steady these days.  %%

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #408 on: April 10, 2015, 08:45:15 pm »

I see now why you went to town on the underside of the gangways. They are quite noticable there. Looking mega Joe:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #409 on: April 13, 2015, 05:29:14 pm »

well coming to the end of a very enjoyable build, finished her aerial system/rigging today and fitted her boats, just the Lynx to make now that will only be on board for exhibitions, again wasn't that happy with the resin moulding the split mould was obviously poorly fitting resulting in a "step" in the fuselarge but with a bit of careful carving and sanding I managed to make it usable, I'll make my own main rotors so they can be folded.
Hope to get the trials done next week I'll wait for ideal conditions for the first time, I like to assess the performance without too much input by wind and choppy waters.  :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #410 on: April 13, 2015, 09:01:41 pm »

Thankyou so much for sending all that time uploading images and dsecribing your processes Joe. I for one have learnt loads while on this journey with you.

She looks brilliant. A real memorial for the crew who were lost with her and those who survived, and I am sure, are still fond of HMS Coventry. I look forward to hearing how she does on the pond and wish you calm conditions.

Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #411 on: April 13, 2015, 09:24:14 pm »

Ian, thanks for your interest and all your kind comments. :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #412 on: April 14, 2015, 04:56:00 pm »

Been playing about with the Lynx today, it's not going to be the best helicopter in the world but it may be passable as a deck ornament.  %%

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #413 on: April 14, 2015, 08:45:44 pm »

The metal castings looked quite poor :(( It is a shame that back in the day, we didn't start doing aircraft modelling in 1:6th rather than 72nd, as otherwise you would be spoilt for choice of manufacturers making Lynx.

Still, you are doing a good job scratch building the fiddly bits.
Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #414 on: April 14, 2015, 09:20:27 pm »

Been playing about with the Lynx today, it's not going to be the best helicopter in the world but it may be passable as a deck ornament.  %%

Have you considered Shapeways.com ?  They already do excellent 3D printed Lynx helicopters. You could contact them to see if they can slightly rescale for your build.  They have done excellent guns and boats for my current build.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #415 on: April 15, 2015, 11:41:48 am »

Yes I have seen some of Shapeways fittings, still a bit on the pricy side a 1:200 Lynx at 30 euros heaven knows what a 1:96 one would be, like every thing I'm sure it time they will be cheaper, to be honest the Lynx was never intended as part of the build of Coventry, it was just in with some fittings I got from Sirmar and although a very poor moulding I thought I would see what I could do with it, it's now just about OK for popping on the deck at exhibitions.

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #416 on: April 15, 2015, 02:57:26 pm »

Looking stunning Joe :-)) The Lynx looks good, well worth the extra effort. Terrific build log, and excellent photos. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us all :-)) Cheers Joe. Phil

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #417 on: April 15, 2015, 03:51:59 pm »

pity it's not 1/72nd this one might have been ideal  O0

really need to use a better camera
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #418 on: April 15, 2015, 04:28:32 pm »

Now how about that for a thought Joe, HMS Coventry in 1/72nd scale?

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #419 on: April 15, 2015, 05:52:02 pm »

Phil, It's hard enough getting this one up and down two flights of stairs without another couple of feet. %%
I've taken off the blade tips, I was using a photo that was too up to date, thanks for the tip Frank, no pun intended. %% %% {-) {-)

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
  • Very passionate about ships
« Reply #420 on: April 17, 2015, 09:49:52 am »

Great looking build!!!
I'll keep following this one with interest.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.
A day without learning is a lost day

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #421 on: April 20, 2015, 03:56:12 pm »

This morning conditions in my garden seemed ideal for sea trials, so with a bit of trepidation as I always get when committing a boat you have spent hundreds of hours on to the expanse of the lake I set off,  when I got there it was a bit more breezy than at home it tends to blow along the creek next to the lake but the water was quite calm, I thought well I'm here now so might as well go for it.
After launching Coventry with the slings in the water as predicted the wind did have an effect on her catching her broadside on it tended to push her sideways and made her lean a bit, the effect was quite a lot less when under power with just a occasional gust catching her, started off with slow turns she responds very well and gradually worked up to full power tight turns it was clear she was not going to roll over even given the wind factor, on one fast turn with the wind in her side the inner prop cavitated so I put a bit more weight inside under the hanger I say weight it was infact my bunch of keys, this had an immediate improvement so now I will tweak the ballast a bit, all in all I'm very happy with Coventry 's performance, and after thrashing her about for an hour inside was bone dry and the motors barely warm. :-))

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #422 on: April 20, 2015, 05:26:10 pm »

The confidence of a true craftsman. 
When concerned about stability, he commits his house and car keys as ballast.  %%

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #423 on: April 20, 2015, 05:31:28 pm »

Do you know what Bob, with hindsight that was a bit daft  %% perhaps I should have found some stones of the like. {-) {-) anyway I got away with it.   :-))

Here's one more

D108

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
    • My models
« Reply #424 on: April 20, 2015, 07:11:37 pm »

A Job well done she looks very good on the water, I do like the look of 42's. I am biased mind you, I served on the Exeter and Cardiff.
Well worth the time and effort you put into her, the sun shone as well.
Paul
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.