Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 85' Harbour Tug  (Read 7868 times)

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
Re: 85' Harbour Tug
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2017, 03:45:00 AM »

After a few hours with a hacksaw and a needle file I have manage to get some of the slots cut. The rest will be done slowly after work each day as the week progresses.
What do you mean 1:1 is not a model?

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2017, 12:04:31 AM »

I have finished all of the cutting and here is the "barn door" dry fitted together.
All the needed bits and bobs to silver solder it are ordered and now I get to start doing the final shaping and cleaning.
Can anyone suggest the best thing to use to clean it before soldering please?

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2017, 02:23:52 AM »

don't bother cleaning it, but...

use this flux, with this solder...  i have used this exclusively for all my structural soldering for 30+ years.  I would cut off my left hand before giving it up.

http://www.advantagehobby.com/43533/STASBSK/SBSK-Silver-Solder-364-12-oz/?gclid=CI6S9P-uh9QCFcO3wAodZ5gJhQ

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2017, 02:25:38 AM »

Looking  good+large :D......

Cleaning the surfaces is important........1200 W&D paper will polish the surface, however it does leave a fine dust deposit which does need to be cleaned......Isopropyl 99.8% alcohol will remove this

An alternate to the W&D paper is non soaped steel wool  :-)).....

Having said this, you have quite a mass of brass that will require a general preheat over a refractory brick surface before to the actual or second torch heat for the silver soldering process

This preheat [complete with the fluxed surfaces] will tend to distort the plate surfaces + the reinforcement bars

From this, you could consider pinning the reinforcement bars with say 1mm brass wire as retaining rivets to stop distortion  <*< of the reinforcement bars

Again, you should research the actual S/S + fluxing process prior to commencement......cupalloys.co.uk  have some great on line tutorials......well worth reading O0

Derek   
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2017, 02:53:37 AM »

Thank you for the advice guys.
I already have the solder, given to me a long time ago. It is Harris Safety Silv 45.

I have a lot of filing to do to get the edges shaped before I can do anything but it looks like my shopping list is growing when it comes to prep, soldering and cleaning.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up