Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 85' Harbour Tug  (Read 14427 times)

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
Re: 85' Harbour Tug
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2017, 03:45:00 am »

After a few hours with a hacksaw and a needle file I have manage to get some of the slots cut. The rest will be done slowly after work each day as the week progresses.
What do you mean 1:1 is not a model?

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2017, 12:04:31 am »

I have finished all of the cutting and here is the "barn door" dry fitted together.
All the needed bits and bobs to silver solder it are ordered and now I get to start doing the final shaping and cleaning.
Can anyone suggest the best thing to use to clean it before soldering please?

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2017, 02:23:52 am »

don't bother cleaning it, but...

use this flux, with this solder...  i have used this exclusively for all my structural soldering for 30+ years.  I would cut off my left hand before giving it up.

http://www.advantagehobby.com/43533/STASBSK/SBSK-Silver-Solder-364-12-oz/?gclid=CI6S9P-uh9QCFcO3wAodZ5gJhQ

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2017, 02:25:38 am »

Looking  good+large :D......

Cleaning the surfaces is important........1200 W&D paper will polish the surface, however it does leave a fine dust deposit which does need to be cleaned......Isopropyl 99.8% alcohol will remove this

An alternate to the W&D paper is non soaped steel wool  :-)).....

Having said this, you have quite a mass of brass that will require a general preheat over a refractory brick surface before to the actual or second torch heat for the silver soldering process

This preheat [complete with the fluxed surfaces] will tend to distort the plate surfaces + the reinforcement bars

From this, you could consider pinning the reinforcement bars with say 1mm brass wire as retaining rivets to stop distortion  <*< of the reinforcement bars

Again, you should research the actual S/S + fluxing process prior to commencement......cupalloys.co.uk  have some great on line tutorials......well worth reading O0

Derek   
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2017, 02:53:37 am »

Thank you for the advice guys.
I already have the solder, given to me a long time ago. It is Harris Safety Silv 45.

I have a lot of filing to do to get the edges shaped before I can do anything but it looks like my shopping list is growing when it comes to prep, soldering and cleaning.

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2019, 09:52:50 pm »

Slowly grinding on, lots of other things acting as brakes on most of my projects these days.
The first pic is the rudder, prop and skeg test fitted. The second is with the Lady Lou beside for scale and with 90 lbs or 41 kg of ballast to bring it within a couple of inches of the waterline.

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2019, 09:27:01 am »

Looking really good, it's great to see it progressing.

Alex

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2019, 10:58:20 pm »

Actually dragged her out today because there was no rain in sight. Built a basic superstructure which may be developed or scrapped depending on how things go. My wife insists I finish the other boats and then get this one on the water.

I have 2 airboats, one speed boat and my knock about for the grandkids to get done in the next couple of weeks.

I am still needing to go and pick up the lead for the ballast and waiting for the brass rod to arrive for the bollards. The port and starboard tow attachments have to be hand carved as they are basically giant deck cleats.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2019, 11:06:52 am »

Hi Ian, build is coming along really well, just wondering what her ballasted weight will be.
Keep up the good work  :-))

John

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2019, 11:08:08 pm »

At the moment John she weighs about 30kg but I will be making removable ballast from old car wheel weights and looking at between 35 to 50 kg. I believe once I have all of the permanent fixtures in place and sit the battery in there it may only need 30 to 40 kg but it doesn't hurt to have the extras just in case.

Ian
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.