Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: why join a forum???  (Read 6241 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
why join a forum???
« on: May 20, 2014, 05:30:55 pm »

why do we join forum's such as Mayhem...........

I personally join to learn, gain info, help others with problems.........have a little argument now and then and very very occasionally to either buy or sell something.

Can I ask the reason why some join forums purely and simply to buy and sell items.

Just reading one profile and out of the 70 odd posts available for reading ONLY ONE post was to offer advice and help.............all the others were either wants or for sales or knocking back those offering items wanted........

I just can't understand the logic of doing this as in the end their continuous buying and selling onlytends to alienate them from the rest of the club.......................have seen it in real (not cyber) clubs and in the end people stop offering help as it goes un thanked.

Can we please have a limit as to how many things one person can hawk around in any certain time frame before they become classed as a trader and have to put into the mayhem pot to support their adverts and activities, if they don't join in with help to others in the same percentage...........after all if Deans, MMB and Action etc. are expected to do so....then those who just use the site to trade in goods and other shattles should also be expected to do so as well!!!

Rant over >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: why join a forum???
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 05:39:27 pm »

This side of the Pennines methinks :P

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 06:27:20 pm »

Can I ask the reason why some join forums purely and simply to buy and sell items.

Because they escape a selling fee as imposed by Ebay and other online selling sites.

Colin

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 07:11:56 pm »

I'm on here because it is full of help on model boating issues. OK If someone has something to sell or buy in the Mayham world then so be it.
I came into Mayham as a OMRA racer and have since built Springer tugs, Lifeboats, fishing boat 26cc Hydroplane boats. I found going to the Mayham weekends both at Wicky park and Llanberis great fun and i saw model which gave me inspiration to build other types of boats not just race boats. The Mayham crew have always made me welcome even if i find it very hard to read & write. No one takes the pee here. In return I have helped others and have even built a Springer Tug for a young chap who wanted one but his Dad was unable to make one for him! Oh yes and Mayhamers donated the parts to build it.
Yes thats what Mayham means to me.
Long may it go on :-))
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 07:25:07 pm »

Bill

Perfick !!

:-)) :-)) :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 07:33:32 pm »

I'm on here because it is full of help on model boating issues. OK If someone has something to sell or buy in the Mayham world then so be it.
I came into Mayham as a OMRA racer and have since built Springer tugs, Lifeboats, fishing boat 26cc Hydroplane boats. I found going to the Mayham weekends both at Wicky park and Llanberis great fun and i saw model which gave me inspiration to build other types of boats not just race boats. The Mayham crew have always made me welcome even if i find it very hard to read & write. No one takes the pee here. In return I have helped others and have even built a Springer Tug for a young chap who wanted one but his Dad was unable to make one for him! Oh yes and Mayhamers donated the parts to build it.
Yes thats what Mayham means to me.
Long may it go on :-))

and that Bill, is what it should mean to every one.........sadly  a very minor number just use it as a buying and selling pedestal!!!.....not really the ethos that one should adopt. IMHO. {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 07:36:49 pm »

I joined to find info, instead I found people like Martin, steamboat Phil, Stavros, Bill d203, Younger at 70, and many others  who became online friends and then after Mayhem weekends friends in real life. As Bill said earlier, it gave me confidence to go forward in model boating, and they are great bunch of guys on here!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 07:49:24 pm »

I have now been on this site since 2008-9
I use it for asking advice, helping out when I can and for the many interesting articles one can read on the site.

Yes I have recently also used the site to sell more than the average quantity of modelling  items from Deceased modellers and because of this quite few members have picked up some great deals, certainly a lot less than the family's could get if we had just put it onto Ebay

I personally think that Martin and team control the sales very well

The very name of the site "Model Boat Mayhem" sums it all up , it is a great site and long may it prosper, what else would Martin do !!

Larry R.

cabman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 08:04:13 pm »

I joined because I was new to this hobby and build my first ever kit with advice from various members of this forum.

I note your comments Neil and have the greatest respect for you and your knowledge of modelling particularly as regard to lifeboats. I started at my local(ish) club at Bridlington on the scale side but transferred to the dark side of yachting because I like the competitive side of it. I may be wrong but your comments maybe aimed at a member of my club. If it is, I have to defend his situation. I would stress that he is not a friend and therefore I have no interest in defending him. I have no idea how many boats he owns but they are many - probably around 50. His models are excellent and his handling skills are superb. It's a joy to watch him operating two tugs independently on one transmitter whilst towing a 20' tanker. He does sell a lot but has a lot to sell. He is also an extremely active member of the club particularly in repairs and construction of the clubhouse, other buildings and general upkeep.

I hope this might explain and excuse his multiple sale items.

html

• Full Mayhemer
  • Gipping Valley Model Boat Club
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 08:31:32 pm »

I joined as I was returning to the hobby, and saw Martins thread on building Jan's Puffer. I was not sure what I wanted to build but seeing that convinced me, I asked lots of questions during this build and still do if something does not make sense to me, I also give advice if I am able. I have also helped members by building parts for them, usually for the cost of postage.

A little while ago I went away from model boats due to family problems, but still came back to Mayhem because the members I have met greet you like a long lost friend even if they have not spoken to you or seen you for a year.

I belong to other forums for different things, my car and an historic lorry I am working on, I always feel they are not as friendly as Mayhem. I think it is up to Martin how he controls the multiple sellers, as long as this does not detract from the main part of the forum I am happy with what Martin wants
I do not suffer insanity, I quite like it!

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 08:37:13 pm »

I joined as I was returning to the hobby, and saw Martins thread on building Jan's Puffer. I was not sure what I wanted to build but seeing that convinced me, I asked lots of questions during this build and still do if something does not make sense to me, I also give advice if I am able. I have also helped members by building parts for them, usually for the cost of postage.

A little while ago I went away from model boats due to family problems, but still came back to Mayhem because the members I have met greet you like a long lost friend even if they have not spoken to you or seen you for a year.

I belong to other forums for different things, my car and an historic lorry I am working on, I always feel they are not as friendly as Mayhem. I think it is up to Martin how he controls the multiple sellers, as long as this does not detract from the main part of the forum I am happy with what Martin wants

And html has one of the best tents at Mayhem. He can't share it with anyone. There is no room. See you at the weekend.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

html

• Full Mayhemer
  • Gipping Valley Model Boat Club
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 09:11:19 pm »

What are you trying to say Bill? My tent is a 6 man tent, with a centre area.

See you at the weekend, do not drink all the gin before I get there
I do not suffer insanity, I quite like it!

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 10:15:27 pm »

I joined because I was new to this hobby and build my first ever kit with advice from various members of this forum.

I note your comments Neil and have the greatest respect for you and your knowledge of modelling particularly as regard to lifeboats. I started at my local(ish) club at Bridlington on the scale side but transferred to the dark side of yachting because I like the competitive side of it. I may be wrong but your comments maybe aimed at a member of my club. If it is, I have to defend his situation. I would stress that he is not a friend and therefore I have no interest in defending him. I have no idea how many boats he owns but they are many - probably around 50. His models are excellent and his handling skills are superb. It's a joy to watch him operating two tugs independently on one transmitter whilst towing a 20' tanker. He does sell a lot but has a lot to sell. He is also an extremely active member of the club particularly in repairs and construction of the clubhouse, other buildings and general upkeep.

I hope this might explain and excuse his multiple sale items.

Hi Cabman........it wasn't at one particular member on any one particular forum, and as a mod on another site, we had a similar problem, and I know from being a member ( but not active) on the model boats forum.....they have many just joining simply to sell items.....and Colin weeds the chaff out very firmly..............no, it just annoys me that people don't contribute other than to sell items.............perhaps a donation to the forum that they sell on would be appropriate.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 11:31:39 pm »

I joined Mayhem in 2007 (I think) to learn more about model boating. I found the site by accident, and have learnt much during my time as a member. There are some very talented modellers here and most of them are only too willing to help or give advice if asked. I think Mayhem is an extremely valuable resource for the hobby, and hope it continues for a long time O0

Peter.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 11:47:44 pm »

Hear, hear!
Mayhem is the second website I always go to (after seeing what my family is doing on facebook)
Long may it prosper.  O0 O0 O0

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 12:00:35 am »

I was a member of the old Model Boats forum.
When this folded Martin was persuaded to set up this forum.
I have been a member from almost the beginning but under another account (shipmate60).
Although model boats play a far lesser role than ever before I still like popping on here to see what is going on.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 12:52:00 am »

Neil has raised a valid point.

Too often we see a new member posting sales without the requisite minimum number of postings, clearly an indication they are there just to sell items.

This obviously detracts from the site, what is the answer, good question, charging a fee for sales, which will help keep the site going maybe, yes/no???????????

So Guys an Gals what is your answer to the "sales only" oriented member????
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 12:54:43 am »

I joined this forum,to hopefully learn some tips from all the great modellers on here,which I certainly have.It is also a social site,and I have made many "online" friends,and had many a laugh and joke,which is a big bonus.I may have upset a few as well,but hey,my bark is worse than my bite.
A brilliant site,and all credit to Martin for keeping it going (its ruddy annoying sometimes when it goes down without warning,but we put up with that!)
Cheers,
Mick F

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 08:51:46 am »

I joined the forum for the interesting company on here...15 days 14 hours of my life has been spent on here..time passes so fast when you are enjoying yourself  .....slug

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2014, 09:17:52 am »

;)...could I copy verbatim from rottweilers posting......  :-))

"I joined this forum, to hopefully learn some tips from all the great modellers on here, which I certainly have. It is also a social site, and I have made many "online" friends, and had many a laugh and joke, which is a big bonus. I may have upset a few as well, but hey, my bark is worse than my bite.
A brilliant site, and all credit to Martin for keeping it going (its ruddy annoying sometimes when it goes down without warning, but we put up with that!)

Derek  %)
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2014, 09:38:19 am »

what is the answer, good question, charging a fee for sales, which will help keep the site going maybe, yes/no

I think this misses the point a bit. When many of us log in we use the 'show unread posts since your last visit' facility to bring us up to date on recent postings. The last thing we want is for the page to be cluttered up with classified ads!

As far as payment is concerned, well that would just be more admin for Martin who has more then enough to do already.

I'm fine with regular contributing members being allowed to sell surplus stuff but this is a model boating forum not a bazaar! There are plenty of places online where you can sell your stuff.

Colin

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 09:51:49 am »

Has anybody though about the people who buy I have been building models for many years and have moderate skill and time many do not and are only interested in sailing this is an ideal site to find quality models   regards  Bill.....

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014, 10:00:52 am »

I suppose I'm in a different category... Mayhem became part of me!  :-)

Those that remember the old Model Boats forum that eventually 'fell over and died', well my good friend 'Bradders' (remember him?! ) badgered me into starting up a replacement Forum which we managed after a week of intense learning that I'll never forget! ..... and I've never had a good night's sleep since!  ok2

I love Mayhem and all the friends I've made through it. ( forgetting the enemy I've also created! ).
My whole purpose was to make it a friendly place, "An internet harbour for all things model boats."
I wanted it to be online 'garden shed' if you like, where we can escape the world for a few minutes and engage our engineering and creative juices. In particularly wanted that anyone with no or very little experience, feel free to be
able to ask questions with fear of berating, intimidation or embarrassment.

We do keep a eye on all the sales and as long as no one tries to take advantage of the Sales Board we continue to
provide that facility, those that do are quickly removed / banned etc. mainly thanks to you guys using the
 [report to moderator] link at the bottom of all posts.

We and the Wicksteed Park Model Boat Club Looking forwards to seeing you at Wicksteed park this weekend.
Bacon rolls for the Sunday morning early risers.

instead I found people like Martin
... sorry about that!

what else would Martin do !!
... I was hoping to be a millionaire...

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Stavros

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 05:41:07 pm »

Where do I start ...........well I found this site by sheer chance on the internet ...WHERE ELSE.........mmmmm seemed like a good bunch of lads and lasses I thought............Yes I like many others have had MEGA arguments with members on here and YES we all made up....some have departed.

One member who has since left this Earth to the great Model Bloat club up in the shy  is Good old Dicky D..........I single him out as he was a great character and we became friends who constantly fell out and then Kissed and made up.....He is one VERY GOOD friend who I and loads of others really miss.....................WHY ....well Richard was one of those wonderful characters who would help ANYONE who was looking for an answer to a Question....invariably he was the first to ans.

I suppose I do help a lot of members on here with paining questions and answers and am more than willing to help out where they go wrong............MMMMM Tug Kenny for one.....must admit I am having giggles here as at one time it was like a hot line of questions on painting wasn't it Ken ?

The sheer wealth of Knowledge that can be gained off this forum is mind blowing.....the sheer amount of TRUE friends I have made here is far to long to type out.

One chap I will single out is Steam Boat Phil..........I first met up with Phil at a rather soggy first Mayhem weekend.(nothing has changed)....He was like a drowned rat in his gazebo,so I took pity on him and went for a chat...well can he talk...you all know what he is like ............I went away Baffled by this little thing called steam......and there I thought steam was the thing that came out of a kettle !!!!!!

There is also our ILLUSTRIOUS LEADER Martin of course.........I can not begin to type what this chap is like....one word to describe him......ok ok ok a few

A LEADER.........A FRIEND.........A GENT..........OH NOT FORGETTING ......HIS COLOURFUL SHIRTS  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

Yes this is a truly wonderful site Martin without a shadow of a doubt a place where friends are made forever......

THAT'S WHY I JOINED MAYHEM

Dave

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2014, 06:31:01 pm »

:-)) This is just a wonderful place to be,with Martin and all you great guys, whenever I don't feel too good you lot pick me up with a few laughs and a friendly chat, not to mention all the information and advice when we are stuck with a problem,all in all I would not miss Mayhem for the world,Ray. :-)) :-)) :-))   
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 22 queries.