Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: why join a forum???  (Read 6243 times)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: why join a forum???
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2014, 08:14:16 pm »

Well where do I start?

In my opinion the best forum on the net for friendliness and helpfulness, I've learnt a lot from everyone who advised me since 2010 when I joined properly. Since then I've been kept sane during my 4 1/2 month detachment to the Falklands almost 2years ago, and yes the penguins still have my sanity and my hot water bottle! I've built several models which have helped others build theirs and have shared many a laugh with friends online and at the many shows I've been to with my Dad. I can't even escape the mayhemers whilst I'm at work, I see BillD203 more times at work than I do at shows!
I went to the first mayhem weekend at Wicksteed meeting Martin, Stavros and Steamboatphil for the first time and kept bumping in to them at almost every show I've been to in the last 7 years and each year out friendships have got closer!
I remember my Dad telling me how he had been talking to a Mayhemer called Pete aka Klunk at the last mayhem weekend and told Klunk that I was his son and only 28! Klunk replied that he thought I was older by the way I spoke online! I was assimilated as a true model boat Mayhemer from that day onwards!
Me and Dad now have a rule at shows, look for the brightest shirt and it'll usually be Martin, listen for a Welshman and it'll usually be Stavros and if you can get a word in edge wise than Phil has breathed in for air!
The best forum by far and long may it continue

Well done Martin and his team of moderators, and of course  the membership without  which we wouldn't have a forum :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2014, 09:29:01 pm »

Well like a lot of folks, I also found this site by accident on my rare trolling around looking for model type things (and yes I found the other type that had more curves than the normal boat  :embarrassed: ) Having spent my life (until the first Mayhem) doing straight running (the oldest form of model boating....even around before Pooh Sticks) I found all these other sides of our hobby, so I just had to join,and of course attend the first Mayhem (in the soggy corner) just to exhibit, but in the end I did fire up on of the steamers and ran that......much to the amusement / wonder / whys does he not get some radio gear / type comments....and since then, well....what can I say I have met and made some great friends via this site, got a great understanding of all other sides of the hobby (well boats that you can steer.....who would have thought  {-) ). I have given some advice, got some great help, made some bits for Bill when he was building the springer.....oh yes built myself several springers and even built some radio boats....shock.. %%
Its a great place to be, and I cannot again wait to meet up with all the friends I have made, and look forward to making some more.
Well done Martin (and Bradders) from me, and I suspect all members for making this largest (virtual) model boat club in the wold and introducing us all to each other.........
No longer the quiet life in the shed.....just total Mayhem O0 O0
Steamed up all the time

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2014, 07:27:11 am »

What does Model Boat Mayhem mean to me, well more then words can say, put it this way If I was to get married again I think I'd ask Martin to be my best man, so many friends I've never met or likely to but know there there If I need them with a problem, As Steamboatphil says Its great to be part of the worlds biggest greatest model boat club.
                           Regards Howard.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2014, 09:03:51 am »

The forum is a very nice place to be, day or night.Filled with knowledge on
lots of subjects. It is also a way of meeting great people.
Also for those forum members that can't get out and about, visit shows etc
the coverage and photos of the various events are brilliant.It is a godsend.

Thank you Martin.

john

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2014, 09:38:09 am »

Model boating expertise used to be the members of your club, a possible eventual answer to a letter sent to a magazine, or the the visit to an Annual show. 

Now a Forum gives us an unlimited depth of advice; the ability to pose question, get an immediate answer from Australia, that is then confirmed by a Canadian.

This forum is my first port of call every morning with an early cup of coffee.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2014, 08:52:13 pm »

This forum is my first port of call every morning with an early cup of coffee.

It certainly makes the daily commute into London more interesting
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

theboatcrew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2014, 09:08:15 pm »

The question in the post title is "Why join a forum".  Sorry but I don't know the answer to that.  Why join Model Boat Mayhem, now that's a different question...........
I agree with all the reasons that have been stated by the other guys in this post but would add another.  Joining Mayhem has put me back in contact with a friend I lost touch with over 20 years ago.  Better than Friends Reunited have achieved.
Well done Martin and long may Mayhem continue.
Graham
Always treat people how you would like to be treated......

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2014, 10:15:13 pm »

Hi guys

Well I joined just to pick up a few tips. What I actually got was two of the best friends I have made in the last twenty years. Sadly Peter Henshaw (HS93) popped his clogs far too soon - his place was only ten minutes away from my house. Mick / Irishcarguy on the other hand is living the high life but unreasonably chooses to do it in Canada!

So many thanks to Martin for the forum and thanks to all who take part too.

Regards Dave

Grumpy Dave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2014, 09:53:02 pm »

I joined for a bit of advice. Model boating comes and goes in my life along with work 2 landrovers and a kit car. I like to read the comments ,advice and general craic occasionally adding a bit of my own. Thank you for a great job well done.

seathug

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2014, 10:28:50 pm »

Well I joined this forum
Cause I need lots and lots of help from the experts
I'm currently building an Aziz
and it's my first time to build anything O0
so far so good everyone's been helpful to me
If I ever get this boat running
I want to get a tugboat a huge "bottom" tugboat
Like Mr. Darby tugboat  {-)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 23 queries.