Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Miniatur Wunderland Hamburg  (Read 1527 times)

theboatcrew

• Full Mayhemer
Miniatur Wunderland Hamburg
« on: May 22, 2014, 05:00:37 pm »

Hi All
Just back from a trip to visit Hamburg's Miniatur Wunderland.  If you have never seen a video clip of this place, its on their website, take a look here http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/ and there are lots more on You Tube.
I went with my son and we had a great couple of days.  This is a huge place and although I'm not a great railway enthusiast I can appreciate the many thousands of hours that have gone into its creation.  The harbour area and model boats were good, it even has the rise and fall of the tide, but what really is impressive is the Airport and all the road vehicles servicing it.
I think this has been mentioned on the Forum before, but its worth mentioning again that if you get the chance to visit don't pass it up. O0
Graham
Always treat people how you would like to be treated......

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Miniatur Wunderland Hamburg
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 08:48:26 pm »

very much so
Even if you only have a passing interest in trains it's still well worth a visit.

Make sure you put aside at least a day to fully appreciate it
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 08:36:24 am »

Hi all, I was there 2 years ago and it is quite something.  I was there for just a long weekend and there is also a lot to see around Hamburg, a trip around the docks both static and commercial reveals several boats that have been kitted.
Has the British railway section been completed yet?
regards Roy

theboatcrew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 09:00:56 am »

Hi Roy
No they have not got the British section constructed yet, at the moment it looks like they are concentrating on Italy.  Rome and Venice are underway with viewing windows in the construction areas so you can see how it's progressing.
Graham
Always treat people how you would like to be treated......

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 10:38:59 am »

I had a 4day break there ,it is worth a look as has been  said did the harbour tour  but also found a coach tour of the docks it took about 3.5 hours went round the container terminals ,right in among the ships and cranes ,had a break in the sea men's mission ,the seamen among you might remember the name it has duck in it some where . The only down fall was the guide only gave the commentary in German.When I returned home I contacted the company to tell them this ,Two days later I received a typed transcript of the tour so all in all a good result. I found the tour on the web and booked it all worked very good ,even the wife thought the break was worth it .
David still building Fairmount Alpine

Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 02:09:44 pm »

Hi Roy
No they have not got the British section constructed yet, at the moment it looks like they are concentrating on Italy.  Rome and Venice are underway with viewing windows in the construction areas so you can see how it's progressing.
Graham
Their quality and realism even goes as far as building time scales  - just like network rail - they are showing realistic delays as well  {-)

Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.