Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Acupuncture and bad backs?  (Read 1622 times)

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
Acupuncture and bad backs?
« on: May 25, 2014, 10:22:44 am »

saw a forum about acu puncture and back troubles  hope I have spelt it right asking on behalf of my son   thanks

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: acu punture and bad backs
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 10:49:27 am »

regiment......

1. talk with your son & suggest he makes an appointment with his GP....& then for a ????? CT Scan
2. back troubles can be debilitating.......... <*<
3. not decrying Chinese pins & needles tricks.......they have been doing it for 1000's of years :-))
4. need to balance out between Western, Eastern & Asian medicine........ 

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

petermun

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 11:11:00 am »

I used acupuncture to stop smoking.   That was 16 years ago, and I haven`t smoked since, so it worked for me.   Pete

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 01:25:15 pm »

hi my son has had a scan etc was told nothing more to be done but some one on mayhem had acupuncture and was .a lot better for it trying to find out who it was he was on the forum a few days ago but I cannot seem to find the forum   again

fpravenscroft

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 02:03:07 pm »

my wife has had acupuncture for arthritic shoulder and it works for her
better than taking pain killers, it is provided by our health center one of the doctors is qualified at it     
hope this helps
regards
peter

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 04:16:36 pm »

I had acupuncture for the first time last year. It was done by a physio I know and trust and was treatment for an injury to my lower back.

It certainly helped me, I have had a number of back injuries over the years, this last one was probably the most painful and the acupuncture helped a lot.

However, just because it worked for me doesnt mean it will work for someone else, you have to be open minded about it and be able to trust the person giving it to you.

Good luck
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

HawkEye

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 07:00:13 pm »

Some back problems can be cured or greatly improved  by improving the strength of your core muscles ( as I have recently found out), especially the stomach muscles oddly enough. I used to be stuck on the floor for a few days at least twice a year before i started improving the core area, plenty of exercises on youtube to follow.

I've never been so sure of something I wasn't sure of...

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Acupuncture and bad backs?
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 08:09:27 pm »

I tried acupuncture for my wrenched shoulder, did nothing for me.....
A college had it for his bad back, couldn't believe the difference in the man in just a
couple of hours. He was like a spring chicken after one session!!!  :o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 08:14:54 pm »

having attended a lifting and handling risk assessment course at the health and safety labs, with our course being taught by one of the leading ergonomists in the country, we were told that the best cure for back pain is to keep using it (gently) and yes building up the core muscles will help. the very worst thing  is to immobilise it and rest it too much, movement helps it heal and strengthen, we also learnt that for lifting moderate extension of all muscles is better than trying to lift with the back alone, or with the legs alone, all movements should be in the mid range of movement - eg arms slightly flexed, knees slightly bent and back slightly bent, rather than trying to lift with just the legs with the knees at full bend. (all this from one of the leading scientists who perfor the experiments to determine the best methods).
Grendel

Twister

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Acupuncture and bad backs?
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 04:50:31 pm »

Had accupuncture years ago when surgery had failed to provide any relief. At the tike it was amazing - I would call in to see my doc on the way to work(sometimes every day) and he'd throw in a dozen needles or so and it'd get me through the day. If it works for you then it's brilliant - just not for everyone.

Someone mentioned 'core strength' - it's vitally important for any back problem and the best thing for it (you'll probably be joining swmbo) is Pilates - very low impact and utterly exhausting if done correctly. I rember after my first session it felt as though I'd been doing stomach crunches for an hour!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.