Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just docking  (Read 1776 times)

Clive

• Schaarhorn Bloke
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Today, I will be mostly building my Schaarhorn!
Just docking
« on: May 29, 2014, 08:42:30 am »

Hi
I’m brand new :embarrassed: (that’ll be the day)
Mayhem just about sums up my modelling interests as I’m a bit of a starter and stop merchant, I lay the blame for this firmly on my job, a teacher (does that break the potentially inflammatory political rule?), that only really allows modelling during the three larger holidays, the rest is really about the students. Having said that I do love the hobbies I get into as they help you escape. I’ve loved model boats since I was a youngster, running several models on the large pond in Letchworth and later the lake in Stevenage, the latter being an excellent venue. However, I now find myself in Plymouth which rather surprisingly does not have great facilities for model boats – the local club, not a member yet, use a very small pond outside the Civic Centre and for better facilities go over the river into Cornwall, well only just, for their alternate site. I’ve visited both and the club members are friendly but I yearn for better sailing waters. Maybe if I win the lottery I’ll build a fabulous large lake and invite the club to use it for free!
My current boats are mainly kits apart from a Southampton Tug, an impulse buy and a Graupner Wega, which has not been on the water yet but hopefully this summer. The kits are a New Maquettes Le Sphinx, hull made, a Billings Calypso, not started, a Graupner Azimut Challenger, very little done yet and a Tamiya 40EX still new in the box. Also having just heard the sad news about Graupner, I have been out of touch; I’ve just managed to find a new Jules Verne – over the internet from a shop in the Netherlands, which I’ve wanted for several years.
So, now I have enough models to choose from I thought that joining this forum would certainly give me some help when needed and I may be able to contribute something too.
P.S. Also into Trains – HO continental, O Gauge (HRCA member) and Gauge 1 (G1MRA member) building a coal fired Great Northern Atlantic “occasionally”.
Bye for now
Clive

merseyferry

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Just docking
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 09:04:39 am »

hi and welcome to m.b.m clive  :-))

Clive

• Schaarhorn Bloke
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 09:12:32 am »

Thank you :-)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 10:39:14 am »

Yes, indeed you are very welcome.  We need teachers here as we are all amateurs in one way or another, as long as you don't give us  'lines'  for our mistakes.   :}

There is a wealth of knowledge amongst our pages, so have a good read and enjoy yourself. Should you need any help on any of your many projects then, we would love to assist you.

Don't forget, we love pictures.

Cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 10:42:16 am »

Hi Clive,

.... and Welcome to the Mayhem!
( Wet playtime today & No running with the scissors! )

"Plymouth which rather surprisingly does not have great facilities for model boats" - how ironic!

That's some collection of boats you have there!  :o   Should keep you going for a few years!
Maquettes, Le Sphinx - my mate 'Braddrers' started one, I don't think he ever finished it... but I do have a collection of photos of other finished models when / if you need them.

There was a very high spec Jules Verne at Wicksteed last weekend.... bit underpowered I thought!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Clive

• Schaarhorn Bloke
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 11:02:41 am »

Thanks for the response :-)
 Here's a pic of my space, Le Sphinx on the building board, hull turned out really well then time ran out, lovely kit IMHO.
 I need whatever that Jules Verne is on! Talk about a pick up. Just been sourcing a couple of figures for that boat, this internet stuff is amazing, bought the boat in the Netherlands, bought one figure from Australia and the other from Japan!
Morning all
Clive

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.