Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long shot - Conservatory roof replacement  (Read 1846 times)

a3nige

• Full Mayhemer
Long shot - Conservatory roof replacement
« on: May 29, 2014, 12:06:58 pm »

Hi,
As title says, I want to replace the perspex roof of my conservatory with something that will control the temp more. Has anyone any experience of any of the systems available like the plastic slates for the outside or the insulating system for the inside?
Thanks
Nige
"You're a hard person to ignore, but well worth the effort !"

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Long shot - Conservatory roof replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 12:41:03 pm »

I would just go with the triple wall Perspex, you can get it in clear translucent or bronzed I believe, the modern stuff is a lot better than it used to be.
was the old stuff twin wall Perspex or corrugated?
you might also want to look at some of the blinds available to cut down the heat coming in too.
Grendel

chipmonk

• Full Mayhemer
  • while you are here, can you just!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 03:30:35 pm »

I'd go with triple or even quad walled polycarbonate, bronzed or even white obscure. Not cheap but permanent. If you get any sunshine on the roof invest in blinds (you will need them, even in this country 8) ).

Cheers Chris M

cabman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 07:34:17 pm »

I was considering having a replacement roof on mine. I already have blinds but it's too hot in the summer, too cold in winter and too noisy when it rains. My existing roof is half inch thick double skinned polycarbonate. I have looked at various systems and discounted the internal liner type. One I saw in situ was a new roof of lightweight metal "roof tiles" that matched my existing concrete roof tiles almost exactly. The inside was boarded out and plastered. To prevent it being too dark, 2 or 3 velux windows were fitted in the roof. It wasn't cheap though. I think it was about £5k for my 6m x 3m conservatory. I have decided against it and am moving house instead - and not having a conservatory.

a3nige

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 07:59:43 pm »

Thanks guys, unfortunately, it's not an option to move, I have been quoted £2400 to put plastic 'slates' on the outside mounted on a boarded out wood frame with an option to board the void space inside for further cost but I need to know more about this method.
Thanks again.
Nige
P.S. Currently it has triple wall polycarbonate, hot, cold and noisy in the rain.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 08:11:44 pm »

Mine is similar but we don't tend to use it in the winter. On hot days it does get very warm but we have large patio doors and it also links through to the garage to give some airflow. We also have a large ceiling fan. Good ventilation is a must.

Yes, it is noisy when it rains but that seems to go with the territory. I don't want to reduce the glazed area as that would make the living room behind very dark.

Despite the occasional downsides it is paradise on a sunny day in March when you can bask inside at 80 degrees (old money) when it is maybe 5 degrees outside.

Colin

a3nige

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 08:14:29 pm »

The trouble is, this is my workshop and I cannot do any woodwork because of the heat warping my work!
Nige
 <:( <:(

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 08:20:00 pm »

I have only just (monday) disassembled a free lean to conservatory, that is due to soon be added to the existing conservatory at the back of the house, now I just have to figure how to join the two together, and then how to treat the link.(ie what windows to remove from the side of the existing one.) also looking to add an extra meter to the width. So I know the fun you are going through.

Grendel

theboatcrew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 08:20:57 pm »

Hi Nige
I have been looking at fitting sheets with solar inserts in them for just the reasons you mention.  If you Google 'polycarbonate sheet inserts' there are any number of companies that do them.
Might be worth considering.
Graham
Always treat people how you would like to be treated......
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.