Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vesikko in Helsinki  (Read 2192 times)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Vesikko in Helsinki
« on: May 29, 2014, 12:42:13 pm »

The Dutch built "Vesikko" , forerunner of the classic German WWII u-boats, has been repainted in a camouflage scheme.  Well worth a visit as is the island fortress it is situated in, 15 minute ferry ride. Open to public , 5 euros.
..well can you land on this?

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Vesikko in Helsinki
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 08:40:12 pm »

HI Arrow 5
      When i first saw the picture it looked very small, but like you said worth a visit to have a look around colours stand out very well thanks for pictures
     John

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 03:24:00 pm »

A British built vintage 1930s submarine "Lembit" is a couple of hours sail on ferry across the Baltic to the Seaplane Harbour in Tallinn , Estonia.  Housed in historic aircraft hangars this modern museum has "underwater" lighting that makes photography difficult. Lots of other types of undersea articles , models etc., good restaurant and a whole fleet of surface vessels, naval and civil afloat in the harbour that includes a vintage ice-breaker. If you are in the area it is a "must do"
..well can you land on this?

Dave J

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 03:59:41 pm »

Last year I also visited the "Lembit" and I also found it difficult to photograph with the museum lighting, but this submarine was of interest to myself having been built in the Barrow shipyard in 1935-37 by Vickers Armstrongs Ltd. All visitors have full assess to go inside the hull and well documented historical facts are listed on various display boards. Sectional drawings of the hull structure are also displayed around the museum. I was impressed by the actual condition of this submarine after having surviving World War 11 and at one time was the oldest submarine afloat. Also of interest was the system of mine laying through 10 vertical tubes which passed through the side ballast tanks. The general arrangement drawings are still available and I have been considering making a model of it. I have attached a couple of photographs I took of the hull. The museum was worth a visit with numerous other maritime items on display.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.