Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: At the risk of being shouted at - build of HMS Westminster  (Read 3409 times)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer

Hi all

I know that this is a very touchy subject  :D :D  I have been approached via a personal message if I would be willing to build the above Vessel as the person has been watching my restoration of HMS Norfolk.    Like the majority of everyone on this forum my order books of what I want to build for the next couple of models is full - I have very little time.   The other drawback is I like to build my own hulls etc.  So, this would be new to me building form a kit / semi kit.    I was just wondering as I know that one or two people on this Forum have built this class of ship, and have more building experience from kits etc. than I myself do.  Would anyone be prepared or like to undertake a commission build?    One of the reasons this gent is unable to / has very little time himself - he is actually serving on HMS Westminster and also very new to building models himself.
aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: At the risk of being shouted at - build of HMS Westminster
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 10:55:36 am »

John,
It's all down to the spondoolies isn't it; see my previous comments from the other week.

I would seriously doubt that he is prepared to pay the economic price as it is only a model boat after all - my repost is to ask "how much do you earn in six months and why do you expect me to work for less"? The penny usually drops after that.

LB

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 12:45:47 pm »

But some modellers are willing to build models, because they want to and happy to do it for 'beer' money....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 02:12:02 pm »

But some modellers are willing to build models, because they want to and happy to do it for 'beer' money....

but at the end of the day, Martin, would that same personbe happy to charge beer money to spend 600 hours restoring my old car or putting up a new conservatory for me...............nah I think not............when it's a job, it's a job that is worth being paid for...........when it's a hobby then that's a different matter and I and others build what we choose.

I had  a Knight of the Realm email and phone me two Christmas's ago as he had just bought a 1:1 lifeboat for the people of Peterhead as a guesture as he was born and raised there............he was head of medicine at St Andrew's University and Edinburgh Teaching Hospital....so wasn't short of a bob or two by any means.......his pensions would probably buy my house outright in a year with change left over.............and he wanted me to build a model of the aforesaid lifeboat so that he could take it to talks and seminars on rescue at sea...............for ( and I gest not) 500 quid, which was a price he thought I would quote and was shocked when I told him to times that by 7 and I'd still be working for pocket money............wouldn't even pay for materials.

I'm still waiting for his reply, but not holding my breath, lol

having said that .what is HMS Westminster, and is there a kit easily available??? questions questions

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 03:03:00 pm »

semi kit is available   http://www.fleetscale.com/store/semi-kits-/581-1-72nd-type-23-frigate-23-semi-kit-.html   £449.95 plus p&p

or Trumpter plastic for £39.99 - http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/trumpeter350.html   (HMS Montrose is same batch as Westminster )

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 03:14:25 pm »

It depends on the person really.....
As martin says, some people would build for beer money.
For example, a retired modeller on a pension may not be able to afford said kit but would love the challenge of building it. He/she may well do it for beer money with the enjoyment of the build being the payment.
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 03:45:08 pm »

was shocked when I told him to times that by 7 and I'd still be working for pocket money

that's beer money to me............I drink a lot of beer,  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 04:16:38 pm »

was shocked when I told him to times that by 7 and I'd still be working for pocket money

that's beer money to me............I drink a lot of beer,  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

But then I'm guessing you are talking about a scratch build

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 04:54:37 pm »

For example, a retired modeller on a pension may not be able to afford said kit but would love the challenge of building it. He/she may well do it for beer money with the enjoyment of the build being the payment.

And undermine the person whose living depends upon such work; it applies to most trades I know, but they are parasites nonetheless.

LB

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 05:16:35 pm »

I do a lot of maintenance jobs on my children's houses.
They are lucky enough to be in work and are bringing up families
and managing to pay mortgages.
They would really struggle to pay tradesmen their exorbitant
rates (Some seem to pluck figures out of cloud cuckoo land
for some jobs)
Therefore ' I am a Parasite'

I think not  >>:-(

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 05:37:16 pm »

And undermine the person whose living depends upon such work; it applies to most trades I know, but they are parasites nonetheless.

LB

Not really parasites.... The enjoyment of the job for some people is payment enough.  Although we are talking about building model boats here.

When I bought my first house my mates helped me out with the renovation work, most of them working for a BBQ and some tasty beverages.  They didn't ask for payment but they knew that if they had computer issues I would always help out.
How can that be parasitic? symbiotic maybe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 07:30:50 pm »

I think most people who ask to have models built for them, have no idea what go's into them or the fact they take hundreds of hours, As I said in a similar tread, for yourself it's a labour of love, building for someone else it's a JOB. {:-{

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 08:55:42 pm »

And that is what people forget... Some people love to build but have little space so are more than happy to build a model for others or like A friend of built wanted to build a certain ship but could buy the fittings as they were too expensive, however someone else wanted a model of the sister ship but couldn't build it they agreed that one would build both ships and the other purchased all the items required.

As far as cost people through big numbers around but if both parties are happy at the cost then that's the cost, the same as in business...

Foggy

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 01:56:21 pm »

Hi guys, I'm the gentleman that asked Bluebird if he would commission one for me.

First of all I just want to apologise if I have offended anyone by asking.

I've been searching for almost 3years, which I suppose if I had started it myself I could be halfway through, but time off in the Royal Navy is extremely hard to come by, with the sever dwindling number of ships, more commitments and the cutbacks on manpower. In my 8years as a member of the RN, I now have almost 1650 days at sea, which is almost 5 years without seeing land, let alone all the courses needed to be at a trained strength.

And with my low expertise in such a mammoth task, it would of taken a lot longer than I've ever thought.

If anybody would be interested then please please let me know, and we can work something out.

I've enjoyed watching all the videos, reading all the posts and analysing pictures of modern warships to see just what amazing jobs you guys do.

I'm at sea for the whole of June doing the following exercise, followed by Armed Forces Day 2014 spent in Cardiff. Here's a link

http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/Deep-Blue-beckons-Navy-helicopter-crews-major/story-21166674-detail/story.html

My naval email address is as follows

426-abws28@a.dii.mod.uk
Please get in touch,

Chris
HMS WESTMINSTER

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 03:57:54 pm »

Are you sure you want to post your email address on an open forum. It might be better if members contact you via the forums internal mail system.

Cheers

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.