Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: deans marine china class  (Read 8015 times)

scheich

deans marine china class
« on: May 19, 2006, 09:25:06 pm »

Hi out there. Started today in building the russian frigate Sovremnny. It is a very good kit. Not cheap but worth every penny of it. Details and etchings are first class. All fittings are cleaned of from any flash at the factory. Not for the beginner. Pictures of the first day of building are on my website  www.scaleboats.co.uk  Will update when i have time to build, but the showseason has started and i am travelling allover the country.    Please pardon my spelling, i am a foreigner in a foreign country.

clever clogs are like eunochs, the know how to do it, but cant do it ;D

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: deans marine china class
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 12:15:44 am »

Not what I saw at Childe Beale, it was all good.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

scheich

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 02:47:11 am »

Thanks Bob. You are right the quality is excellent, that is the reason why i am building one, normally my scale is 1/100 but if this one goes together as well as the bits are looking, i am going for the 1/100 ones.

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 09:40:20 pm »

Your quote, Scheich, reminds of what a Scots admiral (Beattie?) said of Lloyd George when he was meddling in some aspect of the naval war:

"He's like a virrrgin - he thinks he knows, and he does know, but he hasna the experrrience".
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 10:45:42 am »

Keep us posted on the build please, yes expensive, but if they are as good as first appear I just might be tempted.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Cargo

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 11:27:45 am »

Pictures of the first day of building are on my website? www.scaleboats.co.uk

Please pardon my spelling, i am a foreigner in a foreign country.

The pictures are very tiny, even after klicking on them... can you make them a bit bigger please?  :)

scheich

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 11:59:56 pm »

Will try to make them bigger, but i am not to brilliant with computers, better with models.

scheich

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 04:59:23 pm »

Hi. I only replaced the propshafts because i dont like mild steel ones, so i modyfied a couple of the good Deans marine shafts and redrilled the a-frames. The fittings are very fragile, i have to agree on this, but on this scale the detail has to be very fine like the fins of the missiles and the radars. The plastic needs a bit of working out because the numbers dont match with the plan ( some of them) but i am a modeller and if dont fit i make it fit. I am very happy with the model to this stage and to make work more easy, i took a lot of pictures of the built model at the Deans marine open day. Please pardon my spelling and grammar, have been told of because of this, but i am a foreigner in a foreign country. By the way and this is not beating the drums, I have to thank Ron Dean for all his advice and help. Regards from up north.

dannymax

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 08:44:18 pm »

I think the key to many Deans Marine kits is to find as many pics as possible of a finished kit... It helps you work out where those 50 or 60 parts left in the tray, that are not mentioned in the plans go ;)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 12:38:23 am »

Seems all isnt quite as good as first expected, so will hold off till your build comes on. oh yes and a slight lack of funds right now, lol

Bob
Officially a GOG.

scheich

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 10:27:50 pm »

HI, its me again. Done 80 % of Superstructure in a day not bad for a novice. It needed a bit of guesswork where to fit what, because there is no building sequence in the instructions, but it is still a nice kit, I am happy with it and would try another one of the chinese kits anytime. ( after I've finished this one ) but again I have to thank Ron Dean for letting me photograph his one in the showcase, it does make the build a bit less of a guessing game.

scheich

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 12:30:21 pm »

Hi, sorry to hear this. Ok the are some problems with the kit, but  my goods are ok. The biggest letdown are the instruction and the plans, because the dont match the CNC cut plastic but the rest apart from the propshafts which was my own choice to replace them, is ok. Maybee its me because I never complain about any kits and I have build kits from all manufacturers over the years and had some good ones and bad ones but if one speak nicely to the manufacturers it allways works out fine at the end. I just get on with the job, taking the odd happy pill will ease the strain. ;D

If it dont fit, we have ways to make it fit.

scheich

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 01:04:11 pm »

Hi again, here is a picture of the model with the superstructure at 80% completed with out brass etched bits. It is only a mockup for camera purpase, some parts will have modifications. Total hours used on the model until now 30.

scheich

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 06:45:56 pm »

Hi. It is on the water now and sails well. Total hrs spend 120 not bad for a foreign novice

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2006, 10:47:30 pm »

She looks good.
BUT
Is the kit worth the money!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

scheich

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2006, 11:58:28 pm »

Hi, I know it is not a cheap kit but i have no problem with price or quality, its only money but fun as well. :( ;D

ambernblu

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2006, 06:48:37 pm »

.... hi Wolfie, very, very nice build - you've done a really good job with it - in what I would consider to be a very short space of time from box to 'on the water and looking kinda cool'(!) I noticed you had mentioned somewhere approx 45mins per day working time - how much of that, or how much extra to that was 'thinking' time ref a few of the problems you documented as having had with the construction?

Notwithstanding anything anyone else has said above, it looks to me like a nice kit which produces a damn good looking warship in a quick build time... OK, so its a nice price too, but then how much would its equivalents cost by the time you've added all the necessary 'bits and pieces and extras' together??

Be interesting to checkout the stretched Class 42 at 1/100 they are planning to release next - oh and the price!

ambernblu

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 07:09:51 pm »

.... The official Tianjie Model website is interesting as they also have a range of Civil Ships (Tug, Containership etc) as well as their warship range - also a nice video - and I like the music!

http://www.tjmodels.com.cn/index.asp

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2006, 06:35:15 am »

I found there range also quite interesting but not very impressed with the prices...

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

scheich

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2006, 06:36:03 pm »

Hi, PPS ships tell wich skip you use to get writ with the Sovremmenyi or if you want to sell let me know because i love it at 1/100 scale. Peace of cake.

If dont fit, we have ways to make it fit.,, ,

scheich

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2006, 06:39:55 pm »

.... hi Wolfie, very, very nice build - you've done a really good job with it - in what I would consider to be a very short space of time from box to 'on the water and looking kinda cool'(!) I noticed you had mentioned somewhere approx 45mins per day working time - how much of that, or how much extra to that was 'thinking' time ref a few of the problems you documented as having had with the construction?

Notwithstanding anything anyone else has said above, it looks to me like a nice kit which produces a damn good looking warship in a quick build time... OK, so its a nice price too, but then how much would its equivalents cost by the time you've added all the necessary 'bits and pieces and extras' together??

Be interesting to checkout the stretched Class 42 at 1/100 they are planning to release next - oh and the price!
Hi i spend about a 100 quit for radiogear/motors,couplings,speedcon and paint. I did not took to much time in working out how to built this one because i had 50 pictures of the build models wich i took at deans marine.Regards Wolfie

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 04:53:27 am »

Nice job Wolfie, but, I must say, I think there is much room for improvement on these kits, I will be launching mine into the nearest skip soon.

Well if you want to get rid of it put a price on it and we will see what we can do, just let me know...

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

scheich

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2006, 07:53:54 pm »

Hi again. I will rest my case cant be bothered with all that negative talk. I am happy with the kit i got. The etchings are fine to me, better than soldering together brass tubing, but i am easely pleased and never complain about any kits, i just get on with it. I also dont want to add any comment about semi kits of some uk manufactorers, I think the all do a great job with the limits the got like tecnologie/hightec equipment and of course the money is a major fact as well. In my life of modelboat building and a had kits from every uk manufacturer I never complaint, fair enough if the are some parts missing I just ring them up and theall were very helpful and delivered. The last think i would do is slagging any firms off on the forum, but i am not a rivetcounterand as I mentioned before i am very easy pleased and will continue building kits from all the manufacturers dont mind how good or bad the are.

If it dont fit, i have ways to make it fit  and plase dont "xxxxx" me off for my spelling and grammar, wich happened on the modelboats forum by some known socalled modellers who have either a personal vendetta or on a constant egotrip. Happy modelling i will be around for a while yet, greetings from the gentle Hun :-*

Cargo

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2006, 08:55:22 pm »

If it dont fit, i have ways to make it fit? and plase dont 'word not allowed' me off for my spelling and grammar, wich happened on the modelboats forum by some known socalled modellers who have either a personal vendetta or on a constant egotrip. Happy modelling i will be around for a while yet, greetings from the gentle Hun :-*

Thats why i have my signature  ;)

ambernblu

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2006, 01:02:29 pm »

.... Wolfie, just as a matter of interest, as the finish you got looks really good, can you let me know what paints you're currently using on these kits? Many thanks, Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.