Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on simple model submarines  (Read 18707 times)

Patrick Henry

Re: Thoughts on simple model submarines
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2012, 05:46:29 pm »

Thats a point... you could carve the nose and tail from chocolate!! (The lost Chocolate technique)  :}

You silly boys...   {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2012, 05:59:04 pm »

There is a disadvantage to producing reverse tools- if you make a good job of it, people will ask you to make some for them too. Don't say you weren't warned!

At least with the lost foam method, you have the valid excuse of it being a one-off.

A chap I know had one of those little 'Searcher' subs built to the Graham Goodchild plan which was published in Model Boats back in the '80's. Thats was made of wood, although he used plywood instead of balsa. He also made it a wet hull with a little watertight box, made out of- balsa, with an acrylic lid! Never saw it give a moments trouble, although he only used to dive it down a couple of feet. It was a good and fun little boat to drive.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2012, 06:42:31 pm »

Good grief, I haven't see one of those in years...I built one from the freebie plan in Model Boats magazine, great little things they were. There was another, very similar boat to that...can't remember the name of it, but there's still a plan available I believe.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2012, 07:07:06 pm »

If you're referring to the orange sub which used twin motors for steering, and used a small lunchbox for the watertight compartment and had the scuba diving Action man attached, it was called an 'Action-sub'. I don't think the plans are available anymore.

Davy1

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2012, 04:18:19 pm »

Hi Lee,

pm for you about Subcommittee article.

David

Lash151

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2012, 04:22:49 pm »

hi David...
Pm'd you back
Lee

NickKK

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2012, 05:54:25 pm »

There is an HMS unseen plan that is free dynamic dive but I think could be made in to a static with some modifications to the planed model .. I'm going to have a crack at this with plastic use a one piece strip and curve it, add a few bulkheads and cut the narrowed bow and stern sections all out of one strip of styrene.

I got most of the bits to do it that way already .. Just need time to go but the sheet of styrene ...

I'll post some pictures when I got it done ..

Too much to do to little time to do it all ... I need to stop going to ebay and buying subs .. landing craft ... pt boats two ..  four revell kits to build ..  when am I going to get the time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! %% {:-{ :((

rpbidgood

• Shipmate
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2014, 07:33:39 pm »

Here is my version of "Searcher", many years in the building, still not complete, but getting there. Access to the hull on the original design was via a hatch above the cockpit - I had no faith in my ability to make it water tight so went for  removable grp. hatches.
I have forgotten what shade of yellow I used for the hull and can't find a match!

Members of a similar vintage to me and readers of the best comic strip ever might recognise, in the name, the homage I have paid to that publication.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 24 queries.