The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Pleasure boats, Sports, Race, Power and Leisure Boats:

Petrol ic reliability

<< < (2/3) > >>

TomHugill:
I've been following this with interest as I'll be setting up an Atlantic challenger with a single jet unit and a 26cc zenoah with offshore use in mind.

bbdave:
Excellent looks like its worth planning a gas boat :}

Dave

craig dickson:

--- Quote from: bbdave on June 08, 2014, 02:57:06 pm ---Hi I am looking to build a deep vee Apache type boat for running on the local estuaries my concern is the reliability of petrol engines I don't fancy having to go rowing regularly or would I be better using electric?

Dave

--- End quote ---

Hi Dave

I support the positive comments above in respect of petrol power plants. The modern engines including the race tuned ones are proving very reliable. And even a non tuned "stock" engine delivers a lot of power. The key to reliability is not so much about the chosen engine, it is all about installing all components of the boat with attention to detail such that you don't get simple things causing a problem. An example is a radio box that is not fully water proof. And of course if that causes a problem needing rescue of a stopped boat, no one can blame that on the power plant!

When I think about the larger hulls like the Apache mentioned and the Atlantic Challenger, in my humble opinion these boats are wanting for what their full sized counterparts use terms of power plants. And that for me can only be an IC engine for authenticity and pure excitement. And unlike electric power, your running time is substantial with no loss of power.

Finally Dave you mentioned about running on local estuaries ..... Irrespective of the choice of power plant, I personally would never run a boat without having at hand a safe rescue boat including the safety gear to go with it. And if that included tidal waters it would have to be a rescue boat with a reliable outboard motor sufficient to cope with any tidal flows.

Cheers
Craig

MPM:
Like most posts here say a Good Zenoah engine cant be beaten for reliability...

Attention to detail is a must. Wiring, electric box, Push rod connections, Carb set ups and Locking your carb needles, Flexishafts and Props... The list is endless the about of issues you could get.

The engine isent always the centre of the problem.

Jack

phillnjack2:
if your going for an apache at around 57 inches or more forget petrol and get a glow engine of 90 size.
just as reliable as the petrols but a lot lighter.

phill

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version