Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hairy Caulking  (Read 7582 times)

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Hairy Caulking
« on: July 07, 2007, 05:21:40 pm »

Hello,

Yesterday I finished planking the rear (sorry aft) deck of my 1:48 HMS Bulldog.
I was trying out a new (for me) technique that I had found in a MB August 2005 by Brian Knight, basically laying planks, 2.7mm x 4.5''
onto double sided tape, I used (Modelling Timbers)  0.6mm black nylon rigging cord as the caulking. When complete, as per the instructions, I gave the whole deck a coat of 'superglue'.
This morning I trimmed off the excess planking and tried to sand the whole deck - Hairy Caulking, I thought the Zap-a-gap would have turned the thread solid, it hasn't.
Any ideas please, on how cope with Hairy Caulking?

Colin
Colin

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
Re: Hairy Caulking
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 05:53:06 pm »

I'd suggest a coat of well thinned sanding sealer, then a light rub down, but only fore & aft along the lines of the planking. I've never tried this method with rigging cord though, I always glue the planks with aliphatic, adding strips of black paper or card (depending on the scale) between the planks.
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 06:37:53 pm »

Yeah. Don't do it and don't use it. "String" is far too coarse and generally way over scale. At 1:48 black insulation tape or thin black plasticard would be better. As I have said before, in "real life" the caulking is not much more than 1/4" wide....and it aint hairy.

Notes from a simple seaman

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 07:25:47 pm »

Black sticky back plastic - fablon - works well too.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 08:21:32 pm »

I used black cotton on my 1:48 scale fishery cruiser deck and it worked OK. I used Aliphatic glue to stick the planks and the caulking onto the ply sub deck and it worked OK - see pic. In your situation I'd go along with Anmo's suggestion of using sanding sealer to "fix" the caulking and allow it to be sealed.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 10:02:59 pm »

I space the planks, glue them down with waterproof PVA, then go over them with a thick mixture of PVA and black powder paint.

The first one I did, the foc's'le, I covered the whole area but soon realised it was more than required.  The next time I did it, the bridge, I applied the caulking with a syringe along the joint.  Far less rubbing down to do.

Finally a few coats of matt polyurethane before the application of some weathering effects when the model is completed.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 10:12:43 pm »

Hi there Colin

I did a couple of trials on some bits of scrap wood.  Admittedly I only used 'crochet cotton' and I did what Anmo said and painted over the top with sand n sealer. I found that after I had rubbed back a bit with light wet n dry - in some places you got the hair fibres again.  So, I brushed over it with thinners that the car people use - the paint thinners.  I found that that actually attached the superglue and softened it - I was able to actually pull the thread back out - it was soft.

It may be worth a try, but you may be more successful in the way Anmo has suggested.  To suggest other ways of doing it again, is like closing the gate after the horse has bolted.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 10:15:43 pm »

I space the planks, glue them down with waterproof PVA, then go over them with a thick mixture of PVA and black powder paint.

The first one I did, the foc's'le, I covered the whole area but soon realised it was more than required.  The next time I did it, the bridge, I applied the caulking with a syringe along the joint.  Far less rubbing down to do.

Finally a few coats of matt polyurethane before the application of some weathering effects when the model is completed.
Looks neat..but only quibbling...why no joggling? You seemed to have the space, so why not? Cheers. BY.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 10:35:48 pm »

I use Aliphatic glue and black cartridge paper but it is a mess to clean up, I think I will follow Anmo and use  thinned sanding sealer on the top of the planks before I start next time.

Peter

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 10:38:28 pm »

Looks neat..but only quibbling...why no joggling? You seemed to have the space, so why not? Cheers. BY.

...because I made the mistake of simply following the plan on the supplied pre-printed overlay.  

It was only when I got part way through that it occurred to me that maybe they should be joggled.  However I do have a couple of plans that show clearly that they were not joggled on this type of vessel and I can only assume that, as they were built as cheaply as possible, that maybe the extra time and expense was not considered as justified.

At the end of the day I think it would be a difficult one to prove either way which was correct and as there were so many of these vessels around who is to say what is right for a specific one.  One of the plans I have did come from the Ramsey Steamship Company so that holds quite a bit of credibility for me.

"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 10:44:19 pm »

HS93, it's when I see jobs like that I feel like giving up!!

Beautifull job, looks superb and the winch is a little beauty as well.

What is the model, scratchbuild, kit, etc

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 10:54:05 pm »

Bunkerbarge

Its a HS Tug Hence HS93 its been a long time in the build .I tend to do a month or two then another project comes along Its steam driven and is based on a Kingston hull. Information about them has been very scarce . so every so often a bit more info comes about and a bit more gets done (or undone) as I'm rebuilding the super structure because of a bit more info came about. the same happend with my latest boat new info more scrap .

Peter

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2007, 11:05:15 pm »

Bunkerbarge

this afternoon, while I was over at a friend's house, he showed me 4-5 brass fittings which had been made by a person for an RAF CrashTender - filter boxes, hose connections and there was an anchor.. and when I looked at the fittings, you would think to yourself, these are very very good  ;D and guess who made them, the same person who has made that beautiful steam winch on that Tug Hench - he's good man  ;D ;D

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 09:57:48 am »

Any ideas please, on how cope with Hairy Caulking?

I used darning wool on my 1/15 scale Mary J Ward.
It was hairy, but I gave another coat of varnish and when it was dry I sanded it right back and it was fine.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 11:50:01 am »

Thanks Chaps,

I am going to bite the bullet and lift the whole lot off - all those hours of work! but I have another three decks to do, and it did look a bit on the clumsy side, impressive, but far too wide.
I have nipped into B&Q and got bought a reel of black insulation tape. Tried a few planks, it works, but now you can hardly see it.

Bryan - is one thickness of tape really sufficient?

Colin
Colin

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 12:04:53 pm »

I didn't dare to suggest that, but I'm sure you're doing the right thing. As construction progresses, you'll soon have gone too far to do anything more with the deck planking, and it would annoy you every time you looked at it. It's going back a few years, but my first ever planked deck and my third were on the same model. I had my first attempt at proper deck planking and thought it was wonderful. I had another build on the go at the same time, so got on with planking that one, and with the experience I'd gained, the second one was better, and the first model didn't look quite so good. So I made a decision similar to yours, and sanded away most of deck number one and re-did it. On materials, I've only ever used black paper or card, depending on the scale, so can't advise on the insulation tape method, but I always use cellulose based materials like good old fashioned sanding sealer for basic finishing, they penetrate wood well, are fast drying and sand much better than oil based products like most paints and varnishes. Have to confess though, that I only build in wood, I've never used styrene for anything other than fittings and details, and you can't use sanding sealer on that.
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 12:22:16 pm »

Thanks Anmo,

As Bluebird said - Stable Doors, I have just tried two thicknesses of insulation tape - looks much better
I put about ten planks side by side on the tape, turned it over and burnished it well down, and then turned it back over and just scalpel-ed between them, came out remarkably easily. Realised that you can have a bit of spare on top, but if its under, it will lift the the plank, I guess that you really have to squeeze them tightly together before cutting - next problem is the tiny bit on the ends!!
Sort that out after the GP.

Colin
Colin

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007, 01:00:37 pm »

I cheat a bit , I use 1/64 ply as a base that way I can do it on the bench, I don't bend very well so its just a preference. also if you make a cats thing of it you can bit it . with it only being 1/64 you don't see the edges .
anmo

on sanding sealer. I thin it but put it on with a piece of cloth one wipe and leave it that way if there is any  styrene you can get away with it. but I have only done it for inserts to look like deck panels.
this picture is a deck that will have a very thin coat of grey with hopefully the planks and fittings showing through
Peter

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2007, 02:48:43 pm »

HS93 - That's beautiful

Colin
Colin

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2007, 05:12:46 pm »

....and you're going to paint it grey?!!!!

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2007, 08:22:10 pm »

Unfortunately they where planked then painted grey, so I'm going to give it a light coat so the joints and fittings show through but it looks grey.
Thanks for the nice remarks from members.

Peter

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2007, 08:40:58 pm »

Thanks Chaps,

I am going to bite the bullet and lift the whole lot off - all those hours of work! but I have another three decks to do, and it did look a bit on the clumsy side, impressive, but far too wide.
I have nipped into B&Q and got bought a reel of black insulation tape. Tried a few planks, it works, but now you can hardly see it.

Bryan - is one thickness of tape really sufficient?

Colin
Don't know what scale you are building at. But at least you have tried my way....thank you.
As I said on an earlier post, in "real life" the caulking is very thin, but prominent. Keep it thin and it will look more "elegant" than a thicker one.
Understatement is better than overstatement in the modelling world!

jenno

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2007, 09:37:12 pm »

Thought i'd show you my method of caulking . All i do is run a black marker down both edges of the plank.

Captain Povey

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 02:05:17 pm »

Hi Sinjon, Have you tried burning them off. I only suggest this as an alternative after noticing that when I smoked I tried to light a very short nub end with an old lighter with an unreliable gas control valve. The resulting flame did an excellent job in singeing back the hairs in my nose. I haven't tried it since giving up smoking as the smell was a bit unusual for a couple of hours. Cheers Graham. ;D

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2007, 03:45:08 pm »

Thanks Graham
Nice one, but I have already binned the first lot of planking.
The bonus is spending all day in the garden (in the sun) putting the caulking on the next set of planks.
I have laid down about 150 so far, and (thanks Bryan) they are looking really good this time

Colin
Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.