Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hovercraft mk2  (Read 10265 times)

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Hovercraft mk2
« on: June 09, 2014, 02:01:00 pm »

Hello so after my success with my first hover craft and after swapping it with klunk for a boat for dad, I have decided to make another but this time with more detail and two motors one for lift one for thrust and a lot more detail maybe as a hunters hover craft don't no yet I'm
Still in the drawing stage I'm still going to keep it to 300x600mm :) 

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
Re: Hovercraft mk2
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 06:37:38 pm »

hmm i have a few ideas for you!!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 01:48:07 am »

Go for it I'm all ears ?   :-)

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 03:15:18 pm »

Started work today drawing the bulkheads up and drawing the lower deck and cutting it out I'm a bit pushed for time at the moment as I'm working 6 days a week at moment but it should be a good build I have learnt a lot more from my last build and I will be concentrating more on the looks of this one as we :) 

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 10:18:54 pm »

Started some more work today on the lower hull of the hover craft most of the bulk heads are in and straight been picking up quite a few parts for detailing it's going to be quite a good build may take me a while due to working a lot at the moment pictures to follow :)

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 10:20:39 pm »

Batch one of pics

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 10:22:17 pm »

2nd lot pics

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 06:41:18 pm »

Hi guys some more work I done one Saturday just haven't had time to post pictures all lower bulkheads are no in and fitted, I changed my mind on how I'm going to have the thrust motor hense why there's quite a lot of filler on couple of the bits just changing it around for the better in pictures I show where I'm going to have the 5x5 prop for lift I'm unsure weather or not it's going to work having the sides cut on the bulkheads my thinking is that the air will be channeled out in to the sides of the bag I'm going to be running a 1010kv motor for lift on a 2cell pack hoping that will give enough power to fill the bag still loads to do and it's still a work in progress but I'm getting some where :) hope u guys like top decks not stuck on yet just put on in place to check fit ment :)

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 08:44:18 pm »

Hi.
Nice to see another hovercraft builder.
Are you going to install a duct for that prop to run in ?.
If not then there will be a lot of prop slip in that void and a hell of a lot of pressure lost, also in the absence of a hole in the bottom of the hull into the plenum chamber are you going to use a bag and finger skirt or a vented bag skirt to get air into the plenum.?.
You may benefit from a radial fan rather than an axial fan ( prop) for lift as it creates more pressure with less slip.
I look forward to more installments.
Regards Sub.

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 12:35:41 am »

Hi sub
Sorry for the late reply yes I'm going to be using a duct for the lift motor after re looking at my design I removed a bulkhead so I could fit my 6inch cylinder in there ( this still needs attention but ul get what I'm going to do with it from the pictures :) )
When it comes to the skirt to be honest I'm going to be using the palaform one they use on there griffin 600 as I have designed this keeping in mind the size and hassle free of using skirt some one else made :)
This should be a good build enjoying it so far:)

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 07:20:11 pm »

A little bit more done on the lift cylinder trimmed down so the prop adaptor tip is level with top off the cylinder also sides cut out slow progression due to work commitments

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 08:57:05 pm »

Not many seem intrested on my build :( have I done or said some thing wrong lol

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 09:11:01 pm »

:-)) I think the build is great and I am following with interest as I might delve in hovercraft,carry on the good work!,Ray. :-)) 
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Danny

• Gorleston Model Boat Club
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Gorleston MBC
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 10:20:16 pm »

Darren, don't worry about the lack of response for your posts.  You will find that for every one who posts a reply, another 100 are watching with interest.  This is an area where quite a few folks are interested (including myself) - and with your inspiration may well get into hovercrafts.
Cheers
Danny

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 11:12:08 pm »

Ok thank u guys I'm going to be doing some more on Tuesday so I shall post more pictures of work done either in after noon or evening, still living with the inlaws and unfortunately my mother in law is very picky about her house so I'm not aloud to build boats here so I have to do them at my fathers which is 15miles away what with work 6days a week it's not always easy to get there

CyberBOB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 03:04:08 am »

You have 494 views of this thread.  That's a lot of people following, especially considering there are only 14 posts so far.

I think the lack of written response to your thread is simply hovercraft are a specialty, so there are not a lot of people making suggestions, as there are not many experts here.

I have often contemplated building an RC hovercraft, so I am really enjoying your thread. Who knows, maybe one day I will.

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 03:23:51 pm »

Hello guys as promised I have done more work today on the hover craft, I shall try and explain a bit more of what I'm doing I'm not very good with punctuation or spelling so I apologise if it's not great lol

So first thing I mounted the motor today after making sure it would be central in the tube that's what you will see the masking tape under Neath is couldn't get the compass to be visible on the paint it's a 1020kv brushless at the moment I may change this later depends how much lift it provides as I have a 1700kv motor spare that will fit the same mount.

I decided to do a bit of work on the tube fitted a wooden ring round the top and drilled some holes for some mesh I have cut out just so no one puts there hands in to it but mesh will be cable tied on so I can still remove it to get at the prop and motor the prop is now a 5.5x5 it can be removed from the motor with out removing all the tube.

I decided to primer the lift tube and mesh and then put a coat of the main colour down on the tube to see what It would like quite impressed with it also the paint has to be the best I have ever used,

I started work also on the boxing in of the tube I made a new bulk head and also started working on the top of the bulk head my idea is to try and fully seal it all in so hopefully as much air will be pushed out in the sides which will then give me as much lift well that's my thinking anyway

I'm hoping to get to dads Thursday as I have the builders bug again and there's a lot I want to get done I'm happy with build so far but there's still loads to do :) hope u guys enjoy

CyberBOB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 05:31:05 pm »

I love the Krylon rattle cans!  Nice paint, fan pattern, self priming, and slightly flexible.

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2014, 12:58:57 am »

Yeah I have to say I have used a lot of spray paint in my time different brands but not many have been quite as good as this stuff this was just mainly a tester coat to see wat I thought of the paint and colour safe to say I'm very happy with it lol

CyberBOB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2014, 03:24:23 am »

Used some of the camo brown around the house, like the cupboard doors in our laundry room.  Everyone asks us where we got the designer colour from. :}

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2014, 01:52:21 pm »

That's cool cyber bob it is very good stuff :)

So I done some more today on the hover craft mk2
I will start with saying the cabin is being scrapped built it crap so not using it but I have took some photos with it on just to give an example of what I'm going to do I have placed a couple of my detail parts just to show what I'm thinking, I have another plastic tube for the thrust motor lot bigger than the other so I can run a 7x5 prop, I mainly done some filling around the lift tube making it fully sealed waiting on some more wood tho arrive and then I can get started on some mounts for the thrust tube and cabin but it's getting there others than messing up with the crap cabin that's in pictures it's going well :)

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 06:14:23 pm »

Daren, Haribo come in a big plastic container which narrows slightly towards the base, its and alternative to plastic tube and I could help eat the haribo!!!!
full time penguin

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2014, 06:59:36 pm »

Hi mate yeah I thought of that but when u remove the back there quite flimsy I'm going to see how I get on with the tube got some ideas for it

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 07:34:40 pm »

use the bucket and roll 1/32 ply round it.
full time penguin

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2014, 08:54:17 pm »

Darren dont know if you are aware of this site
www.model-hovercraft.com
its a site by mark porter. you can download a plan for a griffon 2000 tdx and builds into an excellent model which will teach you a lot about hovercraft. I used the site when first making hovercraft and it taught e a lot.
I now build multi motored scale hovercraft with several lift and propulsion fans. its an excellent site even gives you skirt templates for the griffon.
Regards sub.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.